The legacy of Revtronix

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

The legacy of Revtronix

Post by BSOD2600 »

Since it appears Revtronix is MIA, I’ve decided it would be a good idea to harvest all of the useful information Mike had about his product and our cars, before the site gets shut down (again). I went through every forum post and pulled out various sentences by Mike. I’ve also downloaded up his website.
I suppose we’ll treat this post as an archive of the short legacy of Revtronix.com. Any additional info exchanged via email, etc, please feel free to post.

RevScan
v1.100 - 12/02/2009
New Features
• Preliminary support for more OBDI Subarus, to be expanded if there is interest
• Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband logging
Fixed Issues
• Legacy SS spark memory displayed properly now
• Can now reconnect without disconnecting first

v1.001 - 09/18/2009
New Features
• More information on learned memory maps
• Memory maps now writeable
• Writeable parameters highlighted in blue
• Added switch logging parameters
• Metric/Imperial unit option
Fixed Issues
• Cannot enter negative numbers when editing parameters
• Parameters with commas create extra header column in .csv log files

v1.000 - 09/18/2009
• Initial Release

Chips
Stage 1 Chip:
- Full-throttle fuel ratio change from 10.4-10.9:1 to 11.1-11.6:1
- Spark timing modified over the entire operating range
- Both fuel and spark maps optimized for 91 or 93 octane depending on mode switch
- Increased boost target from 8.7 psi to 13-11 psi (varies over RPM range, highest at peak torque)
- Decreased spool rate
- Modified coastdown fueling to increase fuel-savings
Stage 2 VF11 Chip, includes changes from Stage 1 plus:
- Recalibrated for higher flow JECS MAF sensor
- Increased boost target to 14.6-13 psi or 16.5-13.5 psi (for 91 and 93 octane respectively)

Stage 2 Update – Version 2 – June 24, 2009
• Lean hesitation during warm-up
• Intermittent lean/rough idle
• Misfire on partial throttle lift
• Boost oscillation under full throttle

Stage 2 update – Version 3 - October 27, 2009
• Full throttle AFR can now be tuned up to +/-50% using REVScan and Select Monitor cable
• Increased fuel learning limits for varying injector flow rates, will solve bouncing/lean idleTuning

Misc
• No wiring modifications are necessary for the [JECS] MAF, the chip takes care of it.
• We wanted to limit exhaust temp at the turbo to 900C (1650F) so we tuned for ~900C max at the start of the up-pipe. This leaves a safety margin because the exhaust will cool off by the time it reaches the turbo. We measured EGT at the end of the passenger side manifold right before the up-pipe.
• We were able to pull the settings from the JDM ECU and blend them with the EJ22T Stage 2 tune. The result was an EJ20G equivalent of our current Stage 2 chip.

Miscellaneous Information
Below are various pieces of information gathered into their relevant topics.

Throttle
• The throttle scaling is fine, anything above 68% is considered full throttle. We could scale it to say 100% instead of 68%, but then it would be possible to have throttle above 100%. Just an internal ECU parameter.

MAP
• The factory MAP sensor maxes out around 18 psi
• Stock MAP sensor is more like 2.25 bar. That's why its able to read above 14.5 psi.

MAF
• The bottleneck for the Stage 1 tune was the stock MAF sensor, the boost keeps the airflow reading near maximum from 4000 rpm up.
• The stock Hitachi MAF goes blind above 155 g/s airflow. With the TD04 at 17 psi, you could potentially get above 200 g/s.
• Stock MAF limit is around 160 g/s, JECS MAF limit is around 215 g/s.

Spark
• With something like a FMIC, the engine would be able to handle more spark timing than the chip gives you so you would end up on the conservative side. Maybe even enough to run lower octane fuel.
• No need for a colder spark plug, the engine will run smoother and you'll get better gas milage on the stock heat range.
• The Stage 2 boost in power mode is already maxed out. 1 extra octane point would let you run 1-2 degrees more timing, the gains from this would be negligible.
• You could start at 0.035" gap and work your way down. If you don't feel like pulling the plugs that many times then try 0.028" as suggested by ScottyS.
• The learned memory tables are of similar size in the SVX. These are not the same as the base maps that you're talking about. The base maps are constant and cannot be edited without reprogramming the chip.

Boost
• All the Revtronix chips retain the altitude adjustment for boost. With decreasing barometric pressure, the boost target is reduced to maintain a similar compressor pressure ratio. The spark timing is also modified based on barometric pressure. At 4500 ft, the Stage 1 chip boost target is reduced by approximately 1 psi. The factory tune uses a 0.75 psi correction at this altitude.
• The later cars come stock with a 2-port solenoid and they upgrade to the 3-port to give finer control. The Legacy SS comes with a 3-port so there is no improvement to be had in that aspect.

Fuel
• Long term fuel trims are zero? That means the ECU isn't learning. If short term fuel trim is also zero, then there is a problem with the O2 sensor.
• The ECU will add fuel based on MAF airflow and programmed injector flow rate. If one of those is off, then the AFR is going to be off.
• The number columns [in RevScan Long Term Fuel Memory] just represent increasing load. The actual boundary values are differ between chips so they can't be assigned a single value that will work for all cars. The highest column is also used for full throttle.
• [In RevScan Long Term Fuel Memory] Cell 7 is used for load at 1.4 g/rev and up
• Stock Long term fuel trim limits are +14.8/-25 %. If you've run out of adjustment the ECU will set an error code for A/F learning.
• There is also a safety fuel cut when things get really bad at ~1.5 g/s load.
• Your fuel trims can change if spark timing changes, it affects how long the fuel has to burn in the combustion chamber.
• The full throttle trim is applied only to the amount of enrichment. So if enrichment is 28% (~11.5:1 AFR), add on 9.4% full throttle trim then total enrichment is ~30% (11.3:1 AFR). The long term fuel trim is added on after that.
• There's no other fuel trim memory, it's all in REVScan.

ECU
• [Octane Factor] 25% and below will get you into safe mode.
• California mode will have some modified delay timers for closed loop operation.
• You've got no knock so the octane factor will slowly increase until knock occurs. The knock memory resets every time the octane factor is updated. The only thing which reduces octane factor is knock.
• Knock retard is easier to use as an indicator since it drops off slowly after the knock event occurs.
• The FA1 binary knock parameter is set if knock counts > 0, so thats not going to help. Knock counts is just the number of CPU cycles that the internal knock circuit is triggered. The reason you're missing the knock counts is because the select monitor sample rate is too slow.
• The stock chip goes into power enrich much earlier than the Revtronix chip, around 1.00 g/rev. Revtronix chip iss around 1.6 g/rev.
• 1.87 g/rev is the load limit of the stock chip, it can't see above that.
• I think the title "Knock Retard" may be a little misleading. This table can actually add or subtract spark timing.
• It is possible that if you get enough knock counts in a short enough time, the ECU will just drop the octane factor instead of temporarily retarding the spark timing.
• If the amount of knock retard required exceeds 6 degrees, the octane factor will be reduced instead.
• Initial octane factor is 50% for the stock chip, 75% for the Revtronix chip.
• Usually the TD04 cars will run up to 2.5 g/rev load, you're getting right up to 2.8 g/rev so I wonder if you might need a higher flowing intercooler.

Vaporware Legacy SS Programmer
It will be a plug-in deal just like the Staged chips. We'll have extra connectors so that you can connect the laptop (USB) and use the additional inputs and outputs.
Right now this is what we have in mind:
Features:
• Reflash and high-speed datalogging (100 Hz/frames per second) through USB connected to laptop
• 8 external inputs: 4 for EGT and 4 for 5V sensors (great for wideband O2 or any other sensors you want to add)
• 8 mappable outputs: 2 PWM outputs for methanol injection or other controls and 6 5V digital switches
• Real-time parameter editing (while engine running) and self-tuning mode
• Performance calculation: acceleration, horsepower, torque, 0-60 mph time, 1/4 mile times
• Driver switchable maps, similar to our current Staged chips
• Updateable firmware with recovery mode
Parameters you can edit while engine is running:
• MAF calibration
• Fuel maps
• Spark timing maps
• Boost maps
Additional parameters you can edit with engine off:
• MAF type
• MAP type
• Injector Size
• Load scaling
• Enable/disable error codes and their trigger conditions
Additional features which would be added after initial release:
• Anti-lag
• Launch control
• No lift shift
• Lean cruise mode (this can improve fuel economy up to 20%)
• Digital gauges which can be connected to monitor any parameter without laptop (uses 4 outputs)
Price- $300-400 range.

The last bit of correspondence I’m aware of is via the Revtronix forum, where Mike stated the following on 01/14/2010
Sorry I haven't been able to reply promptly. I am personally in the middle of moving down to California …. Revtronix is staying put, only I'm moving.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Re: The legacy of Revtronix

Post by darkcrave »

these guys still around?
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Nope. Chips are still in use, but no support and no way to get 'em re-programmed. Check out Rob's EJ20G ECU option.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

Does anybody have any contact info for the former owners of Revtronix?
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

No.

As stated in this thread, the owner has been MIA for over 13 months now.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
camarosource
In Neutral

Post by camarosource »

Hello,

I was wondering if ANYONE can help

I have have (HAD?) a revtronic chip burned for me years ago and have been searching for Mike for months now. I read that he's now in California MIA.

Perhaps you can help?

Do you know HOW TO TELL IF THE CHIP IN MY CAR IS THE ONE FROM REVTRONIX or the factory GM one? Did he clear FACTORY GM chips's and program on it or use
blanks that have revtronic writing? or GM writing?

Here is why I ask...

Due to problems in my ECM, my computer has been replaced. It's been replaced 3 times in the last 3 months (mechanics assumed the GM ECM was faulty). Not knowing they

After I told them that the chip is a CUSTOM chip and NOT the factory GM chip, I have been told by my mechanics (multiple shops) that the chip installed IS the factory GM chip.

They said the code on the top on top (didn't show me yet) is GM. So I am wondering if mike programmed FACTORY GM chips (in otherwords it can't be distinguished visually?)..

Thanks SO much!!
Custom 1992 Camaro Z28
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, Forums, Decoders...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

PM replied.

The chips for subaru plug into the ECU's socket. The stock ECU is left intact and soldered to the board.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Nice work. Thanks.

I have been thinking about putting my stage one chip back in the car for awhile since he sent me an updated chip.
My question is about the plug and the cable and their location on the pins. If I remember right there was some confusion out there about which pins the plug went on and the cable also. I am thinking this may have been part of the problem I had with the first chip. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

The manual which came with the chip clearly documented how the chip was to be installed along with the cable to switch modes...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

^Unfortunately, the early manual for the install had the cable backwards, from what I read on here somewhere.

You can still access the 'corrected' manual HERE....until the site hits its bandwith limit due to spam each month and gets shutdown 'til the next month starts.

Td
Last edited by wtdash on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

So does any one know where to get the latest version of revscan? The version I have now is the one off the revtronic web site, it's like the bare minimum, rpms, mph, Maf, iac, tps, temp, ect. I'm need to find the version where I can check codes, see my injector duty cycle
93 legacy l
to much to list....
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

^I just checked on the site: http://revtronix.com/downloads/revscan

And it should be the latest version. ...see below.

TD
Last edited by wtdash on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Thanks for that info. I made copies and now am a bit more confident it will be hooked up right. Thanks again.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Oooo I see, so I have a stock ecu and I'm just plugging the cable into the select monitor port so all I'm going to read is the basics that the computer can supply

Right?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Edit....see below.

TD
Last edited by wtdash on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Hmmm so i have no way to acually clear or view check engine light codes?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

with revscan, you can clear codes. You have to right click ECU.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

speedmaxx wrote:Hmmm so i have no way to acually clear or view check engine light codes?

You can use THIS to check/clear them w/the black/green connectors under the dash.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

cj91legss wrote:with revscan, you can clear codes. You have to right click ECU.
And this works w/the STOCK ECU - No Chip?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

wtdash wrote:
I don't see why not since its just standard ODB-I commands being issued. Has someone tried and it hasn't worked?

Right-clicking on ECU will reset it, which you dont always want to do as it clear the fuel learning table, octane factor, etc. You can actually clear individual CELs from the list.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

BSOD2600 wrote:
wtdash wrote:
I don't see why not since its just standard ODB-I commands being issued. Has someone tried and it hasn't worked?

Right-clicking on ECU will reset it, which you dont always want to do as it clear the fuel learning table, octane factor, etc. You can actually clear individual CELs from the list.
Hmmm, well I thought this was a feature of the chip.....but you're right - should work since the info is there..it just needs accessed.

Thanks,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T