Godamn auto doorlock

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

criticalm@ss
First Gear

Godamn auto doorlock

Post by criticalm@ss »

I just want to slap the designer who thought this was a good idea.
Other than pulling the fuse or clipping the wire am I missing something
here? duh key is in the ignition dont lock the door!
end rant
I almost busted out the window I was so pist off.
92 Leggy Wagon L~2003 Baja~2006 Sti
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Godamn auto doorlock

Post by vrg3 »

Wait -- what exactly are you complaining about? I don't follow.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I speak a little Angry Rant, so I'll guess that it has something to do with a failed actuator or the door handle return spring's plastic pin breaking.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
criticalm@ss
First Gear

Post by criticalm@ss »

no the auto door locking feature, even when ignition is on the door will lock you out!
gona clip wire.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Did the same thing the other week. Luckly my dad left the passenger side down enough to get a golf club in to unlock the door.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Never had this happen before. Maybe I don't have that feature and it hasn't happened on my previous 2 legacys either.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The failed pin will cause the doors to constantly lock. The pin holds the seated side of the return spring for the door handle. When it breaks, the spring rests on the door lock, pushing it in the locked position. Seeing as Subaru also makes the driver's lock the master lock, it will also automatically lock all the doors. Of course, the driver's door being the door used most often, it's the most likely to fail and it is a common problem. Had both my fronts go, but the fix is pretty easy and very cheap.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
criticalm@ss
First Gear

Post by criticalm@ss »

where is this assembly located?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's the door handle/lock assembly. The spring is a clothes pin style. One end is attached to the door handle and the hook on the other end rests on a plastic hook, which breaks. That end then presses against the door lock button, which happens to push it "locked". You have to remove the assembly to see it. You can follow the other directions posted or, what I did (which IIRC, is a little different, but I don't care to read it again right now) was drill holes on each side of the housing so that I could insert an ~1/16" rod across, intersecting about where the plastic pin had been (it's easy to tell where that is when you see it). As I inserted the rod through one hole, I used a pair of pliers or something to push the spring off the lock button, and slid the rod all the way across through the other hole so that the hook on the end of the spring grabbed the rod. I then bent the rod ends on the outside to hold them and clipped the extra with a Dremel. I think I also had to use the Dremel to grind the lock button slightly where it otherwise hit the rod, but there's no way to even tell to look at it installed.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Could this have anything to do with my recent door lock problem where I lock the doors via the lock button on the drivers door and exit the vehicle, hold the handle up from the outside, close the door and it unlocks it rather than keeping it locked?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

criticalm@ss wrote:no the auto door locking feature, even when ignition is on the door will lock you out!
gona clip wire.
There is no auto door locking feature on these cars. As Steve described above, the problem is the spring pushing on the back of the door lock button. It happens when you pull the door handle to open the door. It causes more pressure on the door lock button and locks it. It's a very easy and quick fix. The paper clip trick has worked for me since the late 90's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kimokalihi wrote:Could this have anything to do with my recent door lock problem where I lock the doors via the lock button on the drivers door and exit the vehicle, hold the handle up from the outside, close the door and it unlocks it rather than keeping it locked?
That kind of sounds like a different issue, but until you take it apart and look at it, it'd be hard to say for sure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Lately it seems like if I pull up harder on it, it usually works. You have to listen for a click to know it's going to work but I never used to have to pull that hard.