Just keeps getting better...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LGT Kirby
First Gear

Just keeps getting better...

Post by LGT Kirby »

Realized today that 2 of my oil squirters managed to back out and 1 of them got hit, the other safely made its way to the pan. Question is.. are they required? I'm thinking, duh yeah. So I have to pull the pistons out to get them back in, or possibly split the case.

Now who is gonna sell me an oil squirter? Or tell me where I could get them. Even Subaru was lost on that one.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Just keeps getting better...

Post by PhyrraM »

I researched this once years ago. IIRC, Subaru never offered them as a stand-alone part number. They were only available with the case halves or a motor.

There is a company overseas that used to offer them standalone. IIRC, it was one of the rally houses or rally suppliers.

They are not needed unless you are pushing stock cast pistons past design limits, somewhere around 350HP. Cap them.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
LGT Kirby
First Gear

Post by LGT Kirby »

Capping them requires taking out the pistons correct? What would using 2 of them do, besides a slight decrease in oil pressure.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, you'd have to pull the pistons to cap them or replace them.

Are you meaning if you leave the holes unplugged and just run the two that are there? Like you said it could lower oil pressure. There may be excessive oil being squirted on the bottom of the piston. I'm not sure what the negative effects could be. Considering the block's don't have the squirters any more, I'd say you're probably safe to cap them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
LGT Kirby
First Gear

Post by LGT Kirby »

Yes I'm referring to leaving 2 open and the two still in there. My thoughts are if these things fall out often, I wouldn't doubt many ej22ts have atleast 1 open without even knowing it. I'm afraid to take the pistons out.