How-To- Newer Subaru Front Endlinks on a 1st Gen

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DevC
First Gear

How-To- Newer Subaru Front Endlinks on a 1st Gen

Post by DevC »

So I tried to install new fron endlinks on my 93 Turbo Wagon. I am cheap and bought cheap oem replacements. One broke in half on install.

Wanting something better, but not wanting to blow $200 on aftermarket ones I looked at some 4th gen Legacy and other newer subaru endlinks and compared to the stock ones.

They are a couple bucks cheaper, all metal with ball and socket ends vs the plastic with rubber bushings that are stock on older cars. This means they should result in more responsive sway bar function and stronger design.

Heres a pic of one installed on my 1st gen with the car sitting on the ground.

As you can seen the lower control arm mount was modded with a hammer to bend the inside tab out of the way and the hole was drilled out larger to fit the larger stud on the endlink. Other then those 2 minor changes, it was a direct bolt on using the stock contol arm and stock sway bar.

Potential future concern is the strength of the control arm mounting tab, may need to be re-inforced especially with upgraded bars, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Re: How-To- Newer Subaru Front Endlinks on a 1st Gen

Post by Someperson »

keep an eye out for cracks, and may just fail suddenly, i'd go easy on the corners
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

Someperson wrote:keep an eye out for cracks, and may just fail suddenly, i'd go easy on the corners
I highly doubt there will be a strength issue, if you look on an 04/05 wrx sedan like I did today, the mount on the control arm is not much different.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Perrin makes a nice set of sway bar links that are designed to work with our older front lower control arm configurations. ....to the tune of $144.00, found on ebaY.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

chrisshara wrote:Perrin makes a nice set of sway bar links that are designed to work with our older front lower control arm configurations. ....to the tune of $144.00, found on ebaY.
Yeah, there are tons of options for the original style endlink, super comon, but I am still under $15 per side.
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Will it stand the test of time ? I'm referring to the lower control arm, since you needed to modify it. Or is the ear / tab on the lower control arm that you bolted the link to going to flex and eventually snap ?

I don't view you as being cheap. I view you as innovative and clever. It's not your problem or fault that you found a decent sway bar link that removes the slop of a bushing, and this sway bar link is priced reasonably.

My concern, however, is if the vehicle is driven hard and those sway bars and links are worked HARD. Is the weakest link going to become the way that link is attached to that one tab / bracket. Because if the sway bar link causes the control arm to break, and you have to replace your control arms to reconnect your sway bar links; then, in the end, you didn't save any money.

Still a very clever idea. I'm curious to see how it holds up.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think it was mentioned that the newer style LCA's mount point isn't really that much more substantial, but yeah, time will tell with this mod.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

The old endlink style contol arm. Alot more then a tack weld on there.

Heres a contol arm of an 05 ish wrx that uses the type of endlink I'm using. Theres not a whole lot of difference if we are looking at how beefy the mount is.

And if it cracks or breaks, I will just weld a new mount on, no big deal and no bigger expense then a failed endlink.

And of course aluminum uses this type of endlink anyways

89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I see what you mean. I never knew the integrity of the newer style lower control arm sway bar link attachment point was very similar. The pictures provide a clear understanding.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

On the aluminum control arms... Is there a difference between the '93 to '01 Impreza front lower control arm and the '02 to '07 Impreza front lower control arm ?
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, there is a difference in the thickness of the bushing that attaches to the front subframe. It's smaller, so to use it on the older cars, you need to use washers to take up the clearance/gap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

Just an update, the car has been on some rough snowy roads, and some hard turns at speed and some offroad and the control arm mounts are still in good shape.
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Good to hear!
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...