EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by Legacy777 »

rob wrote:I had a chance to try out the NA ECU (thanks to Josh the pusher and Mike the mule) this weekend and unfortunately the news is not good. It took the EJ20G chip and on the bench it looked like it was running ok which was encouraging. I did notice however that it was running batched injection (paired injectors firing simultaneously), whereas the EJ20G ecu runs sequential injection. I am not sure why that is, but I took it as a bad sign. My suspicion was correct in that the car wouldn't start. So at least the version I got from Josh (with the extra riser board) is a no-go.

-Rob
Rob,

That's very interesting to hear the ECU was running a batched injection setup. Like you, I am unaware of any Subaru, especially first gen Legacy that is supposed to be running this way.

Out of curiosity, did it run in a batched injection with no modifications to the ECU, i.e. chip not installed? I ask, because I was wondering if the ECU went into a fail-safe mode. The other question/comment would be regarding the crank & cam sensor trigger pins. They are wired backwards for the non-turbo ECU and I would be curious if just adding the chip would reverse that....or if they still would be hard wired backwards on the board.

Thoughts?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Legacy777 wrote: Rob,

That's very interesting to hear the ECU was running a batched injection setup. Like you, I am unaware of any Subaru, especially first gen Legacy that is supposed to be running this way.

Out of curiosity, did it run in a batched injection with no modifications to the ECU, i.e. chip not installed? I ask, because I was wondering if the ECU went into a fail-safe mode. The other question/comment would be regarding the crank & cam sensor trigger pins. They are wired backwards for the non-turbo ECU and I would be curious if just adding the chip would reverse that....or if they still would be hard wired backwards on the board.

Thoughts?
Yes, on the bench it ran batched without modification. I did not know that about the cam/crank signals. Do you mean, their respective +/- are reversed or that the sensors as a whole are pinned one for the other? I could swap that on the bench to test.

Are there examples of folks running the ej22T with the NA ecu (after fixing the sensors) or an NA running with the turbo ecu?

I could easily see the injection being messed up if the RPM and position input was backwards.

-Rob
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

the signal wires need to be swapped.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Ok, like this?

Turbo | NA
Cam(-) -> Crank(-)
Cam(+) -> Crank(+)

Crank(-) -> Cam (-)
Crank(+) -> Cam (+)

I still would like to know if there are examples of people running ej22ts on NA ECUs or vice-versa.

-Rob
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Correct, you can also verify by the ecu diagram posted in the electrical sticky.

If i can pony up the cash to get this ss rolling shell, ill be trying out an n/a t on one of my turbo legacies.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rob,

When I did my non-turbo to turbo swap, all I did was swap the positive pins at the ECU connectors for the crank & cam sensors, and that worked fine.

Here is ECU I-O which has little red N's or T's to indicate whether the I-O is for the non-turbo or turbo ECU.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/ecupins/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Ok got it. Thinking about it I do remember seeing this when EJ20G and EJ22T pinouts. The NA function/pin listings were spelled out, but I completely ignored them.

I guess I have some more bench testing to do. I am as excited about the prospect of using the NA ECUs if it comes with a re-pinning requirement. I am also curious if the HW is setup or capable of COP.

-Rob
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

just currious if my ssm revscan program will still work when a 20g ecu is swapped in?
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It still works with the profile for an EJ20g (I think it has Ver 2 STI), but whoever made the profile has an absolute minimum of things that it reads. If you could find out the addresses for various functions on the ecu, I'm sure it would be as comprehensive as the EJ22t's profile, or more.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

mike-tracy wrote:It still works with the profile for an EJ20g (I think it has Ver 2 STI), but whoever made the profile has an absolute minimum of things that it reads. If you could find out the addresses for various functions on the ecu, I'm sure it would be as comprehensive as the EJ22t's profile, or more.
Perhaps if you contacted Vikash (vrg3), he may be of assistance, or could point you in the right direction. Josh (Legacy777) may have input on it, too.
'94 TW
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Can you modify the SSM baud rate with the tool? On my tunes, I up the data rate a bit. Unless you can adjust, then no it won't work straight away.

-Rob
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

Wait a minute...my car uses a dial-up modem?
(Being a smart ass about the baud rate comment)
'92 Legacy Sport - Daily Driver & SCCA AutoX (Class: SM)
"When in doubt, flat out!" Colin McRae 1968-2007
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

rob wrote:Can you modify the SSM baud rate with the tool? On my tunes, I up the data rate a bit. Unless you can adjust, then no it won't work straight away.

-Rob
so do i have any options for using my laptop and ssm cable then?
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

If you haven't ordered your tune yet, you could add a note to remind me to adjust the baud back to stock. Or, if you already have the tune and can't manually adjust the serial baud rate in the revtronix tool, then you can use evoscan (with some help in getting the settings right). I think there was also another program, but the name escapes me at the moment.

To be honest, I don't find all that much use out of SSM for logging. The sample rate is pretty slow and most parameters listed in a lot of these tools are just wrong, both in address and conversion value. I prefer direct sensor logging using the Innovate LMA-3 and/or the LM2.

-Rob
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I bought evoscan and tried logging with it but it won't read my lc1 wideband for some reason beyond my expertise so it was completely useless to me. It was really finicky as well. Sometimes it would connect vut most of the time nothing. Pissed me off more than anything. I want my money back.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It's probably what rob mentioned, that the connection speed of his tuned chip is faster than the evoscan's default setting, Kimo.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Negative ghost rider. Already went over that with him. Had the evoscan guys make me a custom version of their software that I could change the baud rate to the faster rate which rob used. When I would connect it read the ecu fine it just didn't always connect and it wouldn't read my wideband which I tried hooking up to the serial port and the usb port with an adapter and neither worked.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah I had some issues with mine as well, but Alphius helped me trouble shoot it IIRC. It was a software problem. Haven't tried connecting with the Robtune yet, just the stock ej20g ecu.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As Rob mentioned the date from the SSM is not reliable and is slow. During higher RPM's the ECu will sometimes just not update the data going to the SSM. I believe he mentions it somewhere in the B10 scan tool thread.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

So I'm like 99.9% committed to getting a rob tune for my ej22t
Ive got, sti 525cc yellow side feeds, td05-16g from UK, and Subaru AWIC.
Stock heads
What kind of crank HP can I expect from this setup?
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

I Would also like to know as well, how many people have went Rob Tune with SOHC ?

My Motor just blew up after 4 days of driving, don't want the hassle of going DOHC, maybe Port & Polish the SOHC's with some Delta Re-Grinds.

I will be going EJ22T / TD05 / 440's / 06 TMIC
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Oh, also I would like to probably go the WRX coil pack route as well !

I don't expect dyno results , but a general experience would be nice !
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Wont be able to with sohc heads

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

I'm running EJ22T SOHC with 440's/TD04/06TMIC/Walbro and the stock (well, Diamond) coil pack and Rob's ignitor adapter (which is an easy install). This is a smooth ride and will probably AutoX awesome.

Personally, I'd love to know what sort of experience people have had with the stock 22T long block and 550's/VF39 or similar setup (Robtune or otherwise). I tried my VF8 and it was just too laggy with these little heads, although I could have used an additional 1000+ rpm at the top end.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Just to clarify I meant coil on plug with sohc wont work. You would have to have external coils with custom wires.

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT