2005 WRX Parts for 93 Turbo Wagon

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

swerveburd
In Neutral

2005 WRX Parts for 93 Turbo Wagon

Post by swerveburd »

Hello! I have finally decided to buy a Subaru. After years of being passed on the Colorado highways in my Westfalia, I've decided to give in. I bought a 1993 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon about a week ago. It's got 150,000 miles and a frankenstein setup. EJ22T mounted to a 1994 Impreza AT which is mounted to a 1996 Outback differential. Came with a WRX turbo back exhaust and a K&N stock size filter.

I've de-snorkeled, seafoamed, filter, plugs and checked/changed fluids. She runs pretty good but needs some boost!

I ordered a turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, down and up pipe, and sway bar.
These are all from a 2005 WRX with 45,000.

I know the TD04 should bolt directly on but I am not so sure about anything else. Can anyone tell me if the 05 WRX Injectors will fit the stock fuel rails/ N.A. fuel rails? Anyway to use these injectors? I believe they are 420CC.

Will any of the other parts listed above fit my 93 Turbo Wagon?

I will post pics soon. I plan on building this $1800 car up to 300whp with your help!
1993 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon....TD04, TMIC, HkS BOV, coffee can, De-snork, TB Exhaust, VLSD, MSD Coil, Walbro 255, Fresh Paint, WRX 16's, WRX Suspension, New Brakes....soon Robtune...
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: 2005 WRX Parts for 93 Turbo Wagon

Post by PhyrraM »

Sorry to say, but not much will work without a lot of effort.

The turbo should fit with some rerouting of minor lines like the PCV and such. There are write uos here on installing a WRX TD04. The Impreza intercooler will be very hard to fit as the firewall is in the way. Some have used that intercooler, but had to cut the throttlebody and intecooler outlet. The suggested plan would be to trade it for a '06-'07 WRX intercooler setup. Those are well documented here.

The WRX injectors and fuel rail are simple....no-go. The Legacy uses side feed injectors and your WRX parts are top feed. The ones to look for are JDM "grey tops" from early WRXs (440) or USDM STI side feeds (550?) (and EJ22 non-turbo fuel rails, IIRC).

The WRX fuel pump will work, but won't be much of an upgrade. Most go for a 255 Walbro as they have a drop in version for about $100.

The OEM WRX up-pipe is the same as ours, they just added a catalytic convetor - usually considered a bad thing. Our old Legacy non-catted uppipes are the same as a newer STI up pipe. Aftermarket WRX uppipes are a direct bolt in.

The WRX down pipe is longer than the Legacy one so the exhaust will need to be shortened slightly. Other than that they are about the same, so no real reason to change OEM-for-OEM. An aftermarket WRX downpipe is an upgrade once you deal with the length issue.

Sway bar will fit. I am unsure if OEM WRX or OEM Legacy is larger.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

Thats the feeling I got after purchasing all the parts and receiving them today. Well, looks like I will be selling the injectors and fuel system.

I'm going to try and make the turbo and intercooler work with some rerouting and cutting.

Okay...so after I get the right JDM side feed injectors, the Walbro 255 and some NA fuel rails....I'm making a MBC tonight and making a Coffee Can Mod from a Dunkin Donuts cup. That should be easy.

Whats the details on the "Rob Tune"?

I saw the write up and I understand the need for the green MAF, injectors, 4-2 convertor and so on, but this is my question....Is the repinning and de-pinning the complete MOD for Rob Tune, or do I need to send in my ECU to have it mapped for the "440" setup?

Thanks for all the help!
1993 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon....TD04, TMIC, HkS BOV, coffee can, De-snork, TB Exhaust, VLSD, MSD Coil, Walbro 255, Fresh Paint, WRX 16's, WRX Suspension, New Brakes....soon Robtune...
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

he chips the 20G ECUs with a tune for the injectors so if you don't have that ecu to send him...
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Our engine wiring is almost the exact same as the '92-'96 Impreza WRX EJ20G. Because of this, we can use the EJ20G engine ECU with just a few harness tweeks ( such as the 4 > 2 channel ignition conversion).

Rob can reprogram the EJ20G ECU - not the EJ22T ecu.

So a Robtune requires an EJ20G ECU sent to Rob for work, the wiring conversion, EJ20G "grey top" or STI "yellow top" injectors (tell Rob before programming), and the proper EJ20G ("green label") MAF.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

Ok yes I understand the I need the EJ20G ECU in order to tune. And it looks like he can supply the EJ20 ECU for an extra amount. Whats the Rob Tune Write up exactly, its what we need in order to use the Rob Tune in our EJ22T right? So first you need the supporting mods, then you need the EJ20 ECU from Rob Tune which the write explains how to apply to our vehicles?

We should have a step by step process for noobs. I donno, maybe theres a sticky I am missing, but a simple explanation, step by step, would be good for us beginners. Just listing a Stage 1 thru 3 for what we need as far as supporting mods, ECUs and what not.

I am confident in my mechanical ability but I do need to touch up with my boosted import knowledge...Thanks for your patients.

Anyone have JDM 440s for sale? PM me

Whose the silver turbo wagon who whips around Gold Hill, Colorado every once in a while? You're part of my inspiration for finding my wagon. Cheers from a fellow Ned-Head.
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

there is a whole 14-16 page write up on the rob tune in electrical i think and thanks phyrra for explaining, looking for my own crap atm cause of ridiculousness...
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

When I receive my TD04 tomorrow, can I hook up the turbo before the intercooler and ECU swap?

I know I need a boost gauge and a MBC, I know I can't turn up the boost past 10-11psi probably, but should I be okay adding the TDO4 with minimal boost prior to installing the rest of my supporting mods?

Can the stock EJ22T ECU run 440 injectors, a TDO4 and Walbro 255 without tuning? How well does it run without a tune?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

The Walbro 255 will not need a tune. It just increases fuel availability.
The turbo doesn't need a tune, but it does have the outlet pointed a different way so you need to add an intercooler at the same time, you cannot use the stock plastic intake elbow.
The 440s will run on a stock ECU, but they will be terribly, terribly rich and waste fuel and in general cause many problems.

With the stock ECU, don't bother running more than about 11psi of boost, the MAF can't really measure any more airflow than that.

Best setup for cheap, reliable power on one of these cars (I post this whenever someone asks about power upgrades):
RobTuned EJ20G ECU
550cc injectors
JECS (green label plastic) MAF
VF39 or TD05-16g turbo
06-07 WRX intercooler w/recirc BPV
Manual Boost Controller at 17psi
Free-flowing exhaust
Stock intake with de-snorkel and coffee cup mod

Of course, on yours you would change that formula to have 440 injectors, a TD04 and less boost. Probably a max of 15-16psi would be safe and would make 30-40hp less than the above setup.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Here's info on the Rob Tune.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 19&t=43744
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

Okay. So I've recieved all my parts and I have a few questions

First, after attempting a coffee can install and doing seafoam my dad added 87 octane to the tank. Sense then I have experienced fuel cut at heavy boost. I currently just have the stock vf11 with just exhaust and de snorkel.

I will check tomorrow on all my connections. I've ready over a similar boost leak post where he found the wiring to be causing the issue.

The fuel cut has only began after I installed Nkg platinums, desnorkeled and prepared for coffee can. After this simple tune like I said my dad put in 87 octane.

Anyone have a guess to what the issue could be?

I will report back tomorrow if I find the answer.

Then I will begin my turbo install Thanks again !
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Do you have a boost gauge? Are you exceeding the fuel cut boost level of 13 psi?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be running at least 91 octane in the turbo.

Also the freed up intake system can sometimes allow for higher boost than stock, which could be causing the fuel cut. A boost gauge would be a good tool determine what boost you're running and whether you're overboosting or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

Wow! The TD04 install was not as easy as I thought! This wagon is rusty and all the exhaust bolts had to be cut to remove the down pipe. We then had to heat the bolts on the turbo in order to pull them off. Wow! This was a long 2 days of hard work.

I have been really broke after buying the car and turbo kit so I thought I could get by with using radiator hoses to connect the turbo to the throttle body and intake....big mistake....

I should've ordered the silicon hoses recommended on this site! Using radiator hose causes the boost to collapse the hoses under pressure causing leaks and killing the engine. I'm ordering all new silicon for all my connects now!

Okay....so the TD04 is in, I decided to install it after realizing my fuel cut was due to the low octane my father used. Strictly 91+ from here on out!

THe turbo is all installed, running well minus the hoses. I've been staying below 3,000rpm and will until I get the correct silicon I need. can't wait to feel the power after that!

Next I believe I'm going to fabricate the 2005 WRX TMIC to fit my EJ22T in the next few days, after I receive all my silicon hoses.

Anyone use 05+ WRX TMIC before? Some say it can't fit, I say it can. Just need to relocate a few things....any suggestions? I think I know what needs to be done.

Big shout out to all the people who put together the vacuum line diagrams and previous posts on the TD04 swap. I couldn't have made it happen without y'all.

Mods/Installs as of 4/10/13:

1. 3" WRX exhaust (including down pipe)
2. Coffee Can Mod
3. TD04 Swap
4. Filters, Plugs, etc...
5. De-Snorkeled

Next to install:

1. Boost gauge
2. A/F Gauge and Wide Band 02
3. Manual Boost Controller
4. 05 WRX TMIC
5. 440cc JDM Grey Top Injectors
6. 255 Walbro Fuel Pump
7. Rob Tune "440"
8. STi 5-speed and clutch

I will be grinding off all the rust and prepping the body in the next few weeks. I am painting her flat black with a semi gloss clear coat. Should look good with the gold rims. I will be shaving the roof rack and antenna. "murdering her out", shaved and black. Yes. Pics comin soon!

THANKS LEGACY CENTRAL
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

The problem with the '05 intercooler is that it won't easily fit between the throttle body and firewall.
Some people have used it by trimming the throttle body down and beating the firewall in with a hammer, but I would just sell it and find an '06-'07 intercooler which fits much easier without any hammering or cutting.
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

Just seconds before ready your post, I read another post that said similar things. I think I'm gonna follow your advice. I'm selling the 2005 TMIC for a 06-07 WRX TMIC or Forester XT TMIC. I don't like the idea of slamming the firewall or cutting the throttle body.
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

So you installed a wrx turbo back exhaust. How did that fit? Any mods to make the downpipe fit? Which exhaust did you install, factory?
matt00rs25
First Gear

Post by matt00rs25 »

What sti 5 Speed do you speak of....
The wrx exhaust should actually be to short and you need to weld in a section to fill the gap.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

matt00rs25 wrote:What sti 5 Speed do you speak of....
Sti 5mt's are the bomb! Wish they could make one with the appropriate/aggressive 5mt ratios AND the strength of a 6mt though ::)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Small extensions needed and adjustment of hangers notwithstanding, does the 2002 - 2007 WRX exhaust fit without having to dent, ding, or change underbody / chassis components?
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Taking on this same project within the next few months. Need to save and find / gather parts. Only difference I've considered is using a perfect power 6 or 8 or a standalone. I want to be able to run a couple of different maps. Eventually I would want to install an AWIC. Anybody have experience with the perfect power 6? I imagine the PP8 would work the same way as the PP6.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The PP6 is a piggy back ECU. I'm not a huge fan of piggy back ECU's. I tried the PP6 before going stand alone and didn't really like how the car ran.

Douglas Vincent used a PP6 and made over 400 hp on his super & turbo charged Legacy. Granted, he seemed to blow up the motor every other week, he did make some very big power with it.

In my opinion what sets a piggy back or cheaper engine management solution apart from a more expensive or better engine management solution is not necessarily the "max" power it can make or be tuned for, but how the engine behaves during normal every day driving. That is what you're paying for on the more expensive engine management solutions. The engine will make more power and drive near like a normal stock ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT