98legacy gearbox can it be changed from amother subaru

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dadenis.damenace
In Neutral

98legacy gearbox can it be changed from amother subaru

Post by dadenis.damenace »

Need help

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Re: 98legacy gearbox can it be changed from amother subaru

Post by mike-tracy »

Welcome to the site! No. Maybe. Yes. Tell us what you want to put in there, is it auto, 5-speed excetera. What kind of transmission do you have now?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
dadenis.damenace
In Neutral

.I dont really know alot about cars but its a auto.wen I bought it the bloke said it was on the way out .it will wont select gears any more an if it does it wont bearly move.im realy stuck I carnt afford to get another box az iv lost me job cause me car wouldnt go an if I sell me car az is I wont get anything for ir .just tryn to find a option

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Ok, if you aren't in the US or Canada, 1998 was the last year of that body style. The gearbox is in fact interchangeable with other models, but it may have received the "phase 2" transmission (like ours did in the last year). It's important for you to call around locally and find a wrecker who has an interchange program (such as Hollanders) to get you the right part.
dadenis.damenace
In Neutral

How can I tell if it is interchangeable .an what is hollanders program.im in victoria , , melbourne, auatraila

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Best bet is to call a junkyard to see what year cars would work for you. Hollanders (and programs like it) are designed for wrecking yards and shops to quickly find compatible parts between cars. They cost hundreds to thousands per year in licensing fees (not exaggerating), so it's unlikely an individual would have a copy.

Sorry I don't have concrete info for you - your car is the last year of production and may/may not have the newer style tranny. So without having access to an Australian specific interchange program I don't want to send you after a transmission that won't work, finding out only after it is installed.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Get on the RSliberty site or OzFoz (Forester) and ask down under. The Legacy/Liberty and Forester probably shared the Auto transmission in '97-'98. You could probably use one from an Impreza, too.

If Aussie models are like USA's, the transmission is different depending on the engine, too.

Example: '98 Legacy w/the EJ25D has a 4.44 final drive ratio; the '98 Legacy w/the EJ22e has a 4.11 FD ratio.

Since you stated you're not a car expert I won't bore you w/the details, but be aware to watch out for the 'gotchas'!

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T