Front Seats Removal

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Arbiter
First Gear

Front Seats Removal

Post by Arbiter »

Hey folks,
I'm Alex. I'm 16 years old and finally got my first car, and Subaru which I'm already jumping into it (father-son project, but I'm the one who knows a bit about these things) It's a 1993 Legacy L AWD without ABS :) with plans to EJ20G swap it. Waiting on a quote right now.

So first off, I have searched through the various threads already created relating to the seats, but none of them have documented the removal... (with those that did, all of the pictures are gone) probably because it's supposed to be super easy! The rear seats were easier for me to remove.

Anyways, first issue:

I cannot get one of the front bolts off, closest to the center console. I'm pretty sure the size is 14mm bolt, plus with the 14mm attachment all other bolts came off, except for this one; it ain't moving! I'm currently soaking it in PB Blaster and WD40, so I'll give it another try shortly. I've tried using an impact driver and socket wrenches to no avail. Looking for the crescent wrench now, but I doubt it'll help. All other bolts came off with ease. Any tips for this last front bolt?

Second issue:

Where are the rear bolts located at? IIRC, there are supposed to be three bolts visible when you put the seat all the way forward... but once again, I can't find them.

Finally, not necessarily related to the seats but to the center console: What did you guys use to remove the ashtray rails? I'm referring to the two screws holding the radio trim in place where the ashtray was... I can't find any screwdrivers small enough to fit in there, so are there any household items that you guys used to remove it?

Thanks everyone. Image
SouperPoo
First Gear

Re: Front Seats Removal

Post by SouperPoo »

What's up Alex. Nice Legacy. The seat rail has 4 bolts (1 at each corner). The rear 2 are sometimes covered with trim or a visual obstruction. If you've already tried pb and an impact you could very carefully try heat.

For the ashtray rail I would suggest a ratcheting offset Phillips driver.
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/je ... /p/185-035

http://m.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/s ... 92630.html
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Appreciated! Got the seats out with a large crescent wrench and a bit more PB. Found the bolts underneath the trim as well. Ashtray issue solved using a bit for a screwdriver. Cheers!
SouperPoo
First Gear

Post by SouperPoo »

Excellent! Glad I could help.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

For next time
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.