Check Engine Light blinking "ALL CLEAR"

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dalton95070
In Neutral

Check Engine Light blinking "ALL CLEAR"

Post by dalton95070 »

I have a 1993 Legacy wagon with OBD1.

After getting Fault Code 35 (Purge Canister Valve), I have replaced the PCV with a new one (120 bucks from dealer). It had interesting plug features, but that is for later. The PCV seems fixed and I am no longer getting any Fault Codes from the ECU. The old one was indeed failed (MegaOhms instead of 36 ohms).

Now my problem is that the Check Engine light is is flashing steadily, which I understand is the ALL CLEAR sign. It is supposed to stop flashing after you drive around for a mile or so, but it has not. I have removed power from the ECU for an hour (several times) in an attempt to reset it, but it wakes back up and the CEL flashes steadily again. I have let the car idle for 15 minutes without ever touching the accelerator, but the CEL still flashes.

When I connect the green "TEST" connectors (with engine stopped but ignition on) the CEL goes solid on and I hear relays clicking and fans cycling on and off (which I think is proper for TEST). But when I unplug the green "TEST" connectors and power up again the CEL is blinking ALL CLEAR again and still won't give up.

I believe that I cannot pass smog test with that blinking light on the dash. How do I make it stop blinking?

SIDE NOTE: The new PCV from dealer has two pins in an oval plug with three "keys" that mate with the plug on the car's harness. Why an oval plug needs to be keyed I do not know, there is no way to plug it in backwards. But the new PCV had one of the keys in the wrong place, on the opposite side. There was no way to plug it into the receptacle! I filed the little plastic key off.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: Check Engine Light blinking "ALL CLEAR"

Post by TurnNburn »

I did this not to long ago to double check that there werent any stored codes and while the green and black connectors were attached it never stopped blinking. Its supposed to stop? I thought that was normal as long as no codes pop up.
Last edited by TurnNburn on Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Are the black connectors plugged in? Make sure neither the black nor the green connectors are connected. If you have the black connectors plugged into each other they will blink codes at you. If there are no codes, it will blink steadily forever.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dalton95070
In Neutral

Post by dalton95070 »

kimokalihi wrote:Are the black connectors plugged in? Make sure neither the black nor the green connectors are connected. If you have the black connectors plugged into each other they will blink codes at you. If there are no codes, it will blink steadily forever.
My problem is that NEITHER green TEST connectors nor black READ connectors are plugged in, but the CEL flashes steadily forever. I have driven 20 miles and had 10 cycles.

Interestingly, with green TEST connectors plugged in and key turned on (engine OFF), the CEL comes fully on (which I believe is meant to prove that the bulb is good). Relays click and fans cycle. When the engine is started the CEL goes off and stays off as long as the car sits still. But before the car is out of the garage the CEL goes back to blinking steadily. It is not showing any code, just blinking steadily about twice per second.

I don't think anything is wrong with this car, but I am told that any visibility of CEL is an automatic smog test failure.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

That is pretty odd. I would try and disconnect the negative battery cable and let it sit over night without it attached. This should reset the ecu and fix your problem.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
dalton95070
In Neutral

Post by dalton95070 »

kimokalihi wrote:Are the black connectors plugged in? Make sure neither the black nor the green connectors are connected. If you have the black connectors plugged into each other they will blink codes at you. If there are no codes, it will blink steadily forever.
Well, that was the problem. I had unplugged the wrong black connector. Once I unplugged the real READ connector it stopped flashing and I passed the smog test. Thanks for your help.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

haha! Nice. Winning!
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ffprz
In Neutral

Post by ffprz »

Can anyone add a picture of the green and black connectors.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm