Started working out again

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Started working out again

Post by entirelyturbo »

It has been almost 2 years since I last set foot in a gym.

Back in high school, when I took weightlifting class, had gobs of time on my hands, and could eat anything my family could shovel down my throat, I benched 170lbs 4 times for my final exam. It wasn't the highest number in the class, but my teacher said I had easily gained more strength over the semester than anyone else in the class. Ahh those were the days...

Then things just went awry starting with me getting T-boned in the Legacy. Grades dropped in college, project ended, lost motivation to do anything. Been like that for over a year.

Now that I've got two beautiful Scoobies to play with, halfway-decent grades again, and some extra time, I walked back into the UCF gym today and began my trusted old workout routine...

MAN, am I out of shape! :lol: I had the strength to bench 100lbs 10 times, but nowhere near enough stamina. I did some tricep/pec exercises in addition to the bench for about 30min total, and as much ab-work as I could do (hardly anything) and after that, I just couldn't do anymore! I was having difficulty driving home! :oops: I'm still dead tired here sitting on my butt in front of my computer...

So, after I get over being sore and stiff tomorrow morning, I'm gonna go back and do biceps and back, etc. And then I'll be a wreck Wednesday, I'm sure :roll:

But hey, I need to get back in shape. I have no energy, I'm getting a little soggy round the midsection, might as well suck it up and get back in shape!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you will be more sore the day after tomorrow.

I do hope you're stretching before you work out. I also suggest stretching before bed or at least once a day.

I used to work out in high school....college was way to busy.....started again when I lived in memphis, and left it go due to lack of facilities when I moved to Houston. Once my old apt complex got new equipment and I wasn't sleeping and the like I started up again, and it does make a huge difference in how you feel.

I currently work out at 24hr fitness....bought a prepaid membership....works out to be like 20 bucks a month for the first 3 years....after that....I pay roughly $100 a year for the rest of my life.....not a bad deal...only thing you have to choke on is the up front cost.

I typically work out 3 times a week, and will work upper and lower body on the same day. since I only go three times a week. I've plateau'd I think on weight, and I don't feel like pushing way more and hurting myself....not really interesting in that. Plus I'm happy with my shape. I've just bumped up the reps and kept my overall number of reps the same for now, which increases stamina.

Throw some cardio in there as well. I used to do 20 min on the bike after lifting....but have been cutting that down to 15 due to time....I really should just go back to 20....but oh well.

Also....as I mentioned before....make sure you stretch.....and utilize full range of motion. My uncle used to lift, and complained about losing flexibility. If you do it right, you should gain flexibility, stretching and using full range of motion is very important for that though.

As for weight.....don't try to get back to where you were right a way.....take your time, use lower weight, get your form down, then move up on weights.......I see too many people with crappy form.

Depending on how your diet is, you may want to take protein. This is the stuff my brother recommended. http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/produ ... uctid=1307

It actually tastes pretty decent, and this place is where I buy mine....it's pretty cheap and fast shipping. I think they may have 5lbs instead of the 10 lb offer. The 10lb one they just send you two 5lb ones.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Thanks for the tip, Josh. I'm going to try to keep my diet as natural as possible. I absolutely pigged out last weekend for one last bit of indulgence :lol:, gonna just try to eat more protein and less fat.

I did stretch before I worked out (I'll bet I woulda hurt myself today if I didn't). I stretched when I got home, and I might tonight before I go to bed just for kicks and giggles.

I plan to work out 5 days a week, alternating muscle groups. Today I did triceps, pecs, that kinda stuff, then tomorrow I'm gonna do biceps, back, etc. So I'll end up doing 3 days of tri's this week and 2 days of bi's. Next week I'll do 3 days of bi's and 2 days of tri's. M-W-F's I'm gonna do ab work too. Abs is where I need the most work. I'm not really concerned about my legs, they're in decent shape already. I'm not looking to be the World's Strongest Man either, just need to keep myself in shape.

I'd say by next week, the lactic acid will subside and I won't be so freekin sore anymore. Once I get into a routine, I expect to really start catching up quick with weight and reps.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You don't want to cut carbs out of your diet....just try and eat more complex carbs....whole grain rice, bread....that kind of stuff.

I would say do a whole body workout plan......not just upper. It'll be better for you, and will help keep the upper and lower muscle groups proportioned. I see a fair amount of people in the gym that have nice upper body and scrawny lower body, because they ignored it.....Due to the biking I did when I was younger I was the opposite, lower body better then upper. I think after spending time in the gym my upper is catching up to my lower. So I continue to work both lower and upper to keep things proportioned well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Roids will shrink the jewels josh.. just remember that. Dont be this guy: http://www.musclenow.com/musclenw.gif

hehehehe.... fokker. :P :lol:
-Jason Grahn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hahaha......no roids here......

"My name is hanz, and this is franz, and we're here to pump" *clap* "YOU UP"!!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT