VF11 + 06/07 wrx tmic intercooler install and other stuff

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

VF11 + 06/07 wrx tmic intercooler install and other stuff

Post by SubaruNation »

So i started out with this project determined to NOT RELoCATE the coolant tank when i was installing my 06/07 TMIC.

aand everything was working out gr8 until about 40 mins ago when i get everything done (MY TMIC INSTALLED) and decide to fill my tank and just go cruise, since i haven't in like a month since beginning this project.... :(

so i fill up my gasoline and go, i let the car warm for awhile before i double tap and feel the power of the new wagon intercoole (on a hill?) then i let it work up to 5K in Drive then I hear a hose come off.

my turbo went from like normal to well.... like not normal.

then the car starts to decelerate after this happens, and i'm like "well it's a hill so whatevs" so i give it more gas and the turbo makes the same weird noise and nothing happens, no acceleration and no happiness, only sadness and terror. :cry:

the car dies *Completely* on my way up to my ususal driving area, and i try to turn it around and start it back up but all that happened was it would start, then it would die like 4 seconds later, not leaving me enough time to even get into drive or do anything at all. so my buddy and i almost get sideswiped while turning (pushing) the car around and we let it glide downhill (I love orogeny..) to where it stopped and we were saved by the Subie Saver Tundra, once again... :cry:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

so yeah i'm going out to dissect the car and look at what might have happened, in the mean time feel free to post :(

see pics below for problems

i'll post pictures, sorry for the novel
Last edited by SubaruNation on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

You uh... forgot to mention which hose. :D
That sucks...

But for everyones info... After talking to him on the phone it sounds like the line that goes from the coolant resevoir to the turbo is what broke.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

taking pictures right now :D
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

PIctures of what it looks like in the garage right now:

refresh your firefox if the images don't work, i know they do

^^^You can see where thehose came off here and the busted nipple :(

something tells me the slnky hose (ha ha the silver one) doesn't work too well for this application :roll:
but here's a better shot of everything!

thanks guys
Last edited by SubaruNation on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

What exactly was the slinky hose doing?
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

my guess is... New coolant tank with coolant and a longer radiator hose of the kind that attaches to where the nipple came off so my Coolant DE-Locate will work better.... :shock:

and a hose that works better than the slinky hose.

Thoughts?
thanks,
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

IF that slinky hose was pressurised via boost, you probalby have a hole in it and your MAF is reading either all or non air, therefore it wont run.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

WELL the slinky hose attached to the wrx Y pipe and ran from there to the ???turbo intake outlet??? where it usually attached.

uh...yeah my other configuration hoses didn't work so well so i tried this one out.

my guess it couldn't stand the vac/boost pressure?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

douglas vincent wrote:IF that slinky hose was pressurised via boost, you probalby have a hole in it and your MAF is reading either all or non air, therefore it wont run.
There wasn't a hole (im checkin again right now) in the hose per say, but it did come detached from the Y (almost positive)
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

OK, your drier hose is your reason your car won't run.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

it's a napa dryer hose :shock:....?

can anyone point me to the best configuration for this?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

METAL piping is your friend. That and sillcone connection with T-bolts.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

douglas vincent wrote:METAL piping is your friend. That and sillcone connection with T-bolts.

ugh...where would i find this metal piping?
basically where do i find all of it?

any recommendations?
i can't seem to find this stuff
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

any help is greatly appreciated!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Have you read rallysam's thread about installing a WRX intercooler? I think he specifies the hoses you need.

Like others have said, the reason your car stalled was not the coolant hose but rather that metallized hose.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Nice nipple bust. Same thing happened to me, in traffic, in the middle of the Holland Tunnel going to Jersey. Pissed out all the coolant in about 5 minutes. Thank God for Castrol Syntec... that motor was glowing red by the time I got to the other side.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah you need to either use a rubber radiator hose to connect the turbo to the y-pipe or a metal pipe with silicone or rubber connectors.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

vrg3 wrote:Have you read rallysam's thread about installing a WRX intercooler? I think he specifies the hoses you need.

Like others have said, the reason your car stalled was not the coolant hose but rather that metallized hose.
is that the same intercooler though?
or would it matter?

Aerotech wrote:Nice nipple bust. Same thing happened to me, in traffic, in the middle of the Holland Tunnel going to Jersey. Pissed out all the coolant in about 5 minutes. Thank God for Castrol Syntec... that motor was glowing red by the time I got to the other side.
yeah my, engine was hot as hell and smoking when i opened the hood also. i never saw red but that's probably b/c i let gravity take control when i shut it down.

i'm using amsoil 10W-30 fully synthetic "turbo formula" and i know that it helps alot.
Last edited by SubaruNation on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Good source for silicone hose: here

And your local exhaust shop should be willing to give away scrap pieces in the size you need.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

beatersubi wrote:Good source for silicone hose: here

And your local exhaust shop should be willing to give away scrap pieces in the size you need.
NO WAY!?

Awesome! thanks alot! :-D
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Zach - No, it was the earlier intercooler, but for this purpose it doesn't matter.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The smoke was likely from all the coolant burning off the exhaust. It would only get red if it's out of coolant for a while. I drove about 30 miles or so with little to no circulating coolant with the engine near the red zone, but the engine itself appeared fine when I stopped.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

rally sam's ic install was older, ok cool.

i found that post about napa part # 8338 that was discussed in rally sam's thread.

here's what it looks like ...

i'm going to try out this little sweetie in when i go to napa for the 378th time this week :shock:
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Remember when I told you you have to get your hands dirty and figure it out, Had you not done that, everyone would've flamed you for that silly little metal hose, but instead, you searched, found the info, went to napa (alot, Just like the rest of us) and got the shit you need. You're going to be amazed at the difference those hoses will make. good job.
Kickin' it old-school.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Remember when I told you you have to get your hands dirty and figure it out, Had you not done that, everyone would've flamed you for that silly little metal hose, but instead, you searched, found the info, went to napa (alot, Just like the rest of us) and got the shit you need. You're going to be amazed at the difference those hoses will make. good job.
Kickin' it old-school.