GD/GG/GE/GH Impreza style shifter on BC/BF/BJ Legacy UPDATED

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

That's why you have to hammer those goddamn spring pins out, because that bolt just won't quite make it out.

However, if you have a FWD, you shouldn't have this problem, as you don't have a driveshaft to get in your way.

My bushings were missing too when I did this the first time. Actually, all four of the bushings were missing :smt012

Yes, this whole process is a major pain in the balls, especially if the car's just on jackstands and you don't have a whole lot of room to work. I had untold amounts of pain in my elbow as well. But... ummm... I guess it just makes the end result that much more rewarding :lol:

You didn't have to drill, BSOD, because your 02-07 joint is properly matched with your shifter. Mine is from the new body style, an 08 GH WRX, which makes the joint and bolt different. I couldn't use the 08 WRX joint because it doesn't have a place for the shifter return spring to attach to, and I don't want my shifter flopping around aimlessly. So I had to drill into my 08 shifter as fabwork to make it work with the 02-07 joint.

We need to clarify though, your shifter is for a 5spd. It's an OEM Subaru performance upgrade developed by STi, but it is not from the STi car. If it was from an STi car, your shifter would be quite different.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

This was one of the few jobs I farmed out to a local mechanic... I hate those roll pins, and it was too far up by the driveshaft to reach comfortably. Totally worth the $75. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

ok so i read and what i got is i need the rol pin. i was wondering if i need anything if i get the zero sports short shifter?
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Post by 93legacylsleeper »

Parts I ended up using:
* C1010FA001 - Short Throw Shifter - $243.52
* 35047AC030 - WRX Joint - $42.99
^Quoted from the thread^

Are these the only parts required to get the STI short shift into a 93 SS?
Hustleshark206
In Neutral

Re: GD/GG/GE/GH Impreza style shifter on BC/BF/BJ Legacy UPD

Post by Hustleshark206 »

People who have done this-

Is the STI (SPT 5 speed) short shifter worth the $250? My shifter assembly is TOAST but I was wondering how much of an improvement this would be over something like a stock WRX linkage that I could get for much cheaper. Once you got the wrx linkage in there could you not just buy a kartboy short shifter and get the same result for much cheaper? Throw in some kartboy bushings for extra good measure as well.
Fast, Cheap , Reliable. I want all three.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS. I would highly recommend just getting the WRX linkage over the STi (SPT 5spd) linkage.

In my car, the short throw linkage was much more notchy and just didn't feel as good. The WRX linkage does have slightly more throw, but it's smoother, and adding a short throw lever after the fact is pretty straight forward.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Hustleshark206
In Neutral

Post by Hustleshark206 »

^ Sweet! Thanks for the info. I am going to find a wrx linkage now. Great thread by the way!
Fast, Cheap , Reliable. I want all three.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

How hard is it to get this part
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

darkcrave wrote:How hard is it to get this part
What part? The joint? It's not super difficult, but removing it and putting back on can be a pain because of the roll pins.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I have a couple questions about this. I have the wrx shift linkage, a wrx short shifter, and the rallitek bushings (the big ones, unsure of name or part # since they are aftermarket). I understand that I absolutely need the #35047AC030 adapter, and I am ordering that soon. My question is: What all else should I be replacing while doing this project? I will have my tranny out so I can do w/e I need to do. Should i be replacing the spring and/or other bushings if there are any? If I should be replacing any of these, what do I buy them for? WRX or Legacy? Thanks guys, looking forward to this mod
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I forgot to get back to you on which bushings you need. I'll have to check later. But I would get a new spring just for the hell of it. It's cheap and you might as well replace it while you're at it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

do i buy these bushings/spring for the WRX or legacy or is it the same?
I figure I might as well replace whatever is replaceable and not very spendy. I will have the tranny either out or basically out so it will be much easier than with everything in. might as well do it while its easy (easier)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's the same for the smaller bushings.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

A note:
If you have a Fwd this will not work with out drilling. I have a thread about if you want to look it up. If anyone is curious I will be doing this shortly I hope and I will post pics.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I have an SS, but that is definitely good info for the FWD'ers.
So kimo if I just order all the parts u got in those pics I should be set then, correct?
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Bringing it back from the DEAD! I just completed this myself. When removing the boss off of the transmission input shaft, my buddy had an idea that worked beautifully. After getting the roll pins out. He stuck a 3/8 socket extension through the bushing that bolts to the linkage (a screwdriver should also work) and we sprayed the join around the shaft and roll pin hole with lots of lube. We then worked the extension back and forth, clockwise/counterclockwise, until it began to shift. Spray more lube then repeat. It took less than 5 minutes to remove. That was after I spent a good long while trying to pound it off with a hammer and drift. Much easier.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's good advice, thanks for sharing!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT