Finally...

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Finally...

Post by legacy92ej22t »

got my Saab 900 intercooler installed. :shock: Holy crap, what a difference! I was already running 11-12 psi without an i/c and it pulled pretty hard but now with the i/c it pulls super hard! The sound is crazy. The DV is really, really loud as well as the turbo. Now all I have to do is a FCD setup. :twisted:

I was hoping to install my WRX hoodscoop over the weekend too but fixing my coolant tank and doing the i/c install took a long time. It took me and 2 friend about 7 hours to do all the work (thanks guys). I have a little sanding and a couple more coats of paint to do on the scoop anyways.
:D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Dude, your car looks and runs awesome. :shock: Those new tires look great on that beeotch. Hell, the ic looks good just sitting in the engine compartment let alone it seems like it's quite a bit faster. One thing I really like about the body is that black moulding under the front bumper. I don't know, I just think it adds a nice effect. Not to ramble on but I also think the legacy logo would look sharp under the rear triangle.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Thanks Padishar. The new wheels and tires do look good don't they, and the Saab 900 i/c looks like oem. It is faster and accelerates much harder under the same boost. Not sure about the badges, I may end up going the badgeless route. I already removed both badges from the trunk lid years ago and may end up removing the front badge and try to do some kinda custom grill. I think the Legacy badges under the rear side triangle
windows look sharp but probably won't add them to my 92. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Dizzy
First Gear

Post by Dizzy »

Matt -

What "infrastructure" type stuff (hoses, brackets) did you have to fabricate/source to get the Saab 900 intercooler installed? I've been thinking about intercooling my wagon & was curious what all was involved. TIA.
2004 STi
1993 Touring Wagon
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hmm...lets see. I used a silicon adapter from a CAI setup to hook the i/c outlet to the TB. IIRC it was 2-3/4" on the TB side and 2-3/8" on the i/c side. Cost me around $14. The shop was really cool to do this for me, the CAI hadn't sold in a long time so they let me buy just that part then they would reorder the hose piece. If I would have ordered it it would have cost me $38. I used 2" ID aluminized pipe ( cost $5 but I have a lot left) from the turbo to the i/c. I used the existing piece from the compressor outlet to the TB to make the bend. So I cut the stock plastic intake piece where it was at the right angle used 2-3/8" heater hose ($10 for a foot) to connect the pipe to the plastic piece off the turbo using two hose clamps. Then used another piece of heater hose to connect the pipe to the inlet on the i/c, again using two hose clamps. For the DV I got an adapter that was threaded on one side and lipped for a hose on the other ($7-8 ). I don't remember exactly what size it was but it's the same size as the stock one coming off the plastic intake piece by the TB. We used a torch to make a hole in the aluminized pipe, cut the threads off the adapter
and welded it into place. Then trimmed the DV hosing to make it fit as it needed to be much shorter. There is a small vac hose that comes off the bottom of the DV which will need extended also. Now my setup sits really tight in there so I (people will probably say you shouldn't do this) didn't make any type of bracket or anything to mount the i/c to the firewall or anything else. I can e-mail you pics of the setup if you want or if someone will host them for me I'll post them. Hope this helps and it what you were asking for. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Dizzy
First Gear

Post by Dizzy »

Cool. Thanks for the info, Matt. It sounds like there was quite a bit of custom fabrication involved.

-p
2004 STi
1993 Touring Wagon
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

With all the people putting the Saab 900 ic's on their legacy's someone should put together a detailed step by step thread on how it's done. Basically combine all the information into one pool so when I do mine it'll be nice and easy :) :lol:

I'm probably going to tackle this project next year at some point, after I get used to subarus engine bays. My first one and I've already got a mod list as long as my arm.

Oh, and some acronyms, is there a thread that describes em all?

I've been guessing mostly, and got stuck again. DV?
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Pics needed/requested of course :)

I'm guessing DV stands for Dump Valve, aka blow off valve.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Lets see.. DV is for Diverter Valve. A lot of people call it a BOV(blow off valve) but it's not. A BOV vents to atmosphere. Air bypass valve is a general term that covers all styles. I/C is for intercooler. TMIC is for top mount intercooler, FMIC is for front mount intercooler. TB is for throttle body. CAI is for cold air intake. ID is for inside diameter. IIRC is for IF I Recall Correctly. There's probably many more but that's a few. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

BTW, Matt, I will host your pics.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Diverter valve it is!

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Pics

Post by QuickDrive »

QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Thanks for the pics matt, Things are starting to clear up for me.

Now once I get the car, Monday, I'll actually know where to look...

Yes I've been learning how to install things without actually ever seeing the inside of a subaru engine bay.

:oops:
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

QuickDrive wrote:BTW, Matt, I will host your pics.
Thanks! You've got mail. :D

MTK, hey I didn't even see your previous post, you must have snuck it in while I was typing, so I wasn't trying to come off condescending. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

:shock: Wow! That was quick, thanks. You guys keep sneaking in posts on me :lol: I guess that's why you're quickdraw huh? :wink:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

You should see me drive :)
Dizzy
First Gear

Post by Dizzy »

Sorry for the OT, but what downpipe is that?
2004 STi
1993 Touring Wagon
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Dizzy wrote:Sorry for the OT, but what downpipe is that?
It's a C.E.S. Racing Systems DP03 twin dump. It's part of a full
turbo-back 3" mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust I won at the SCCA STPR last spring :D . The DP is ceramic coated and has a boost enhancement plate to help seperate the wastegate and exhaust turbine gases. Pretty sweet setup.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

I think I got it!!!

Post by QuickDrive »

I'm finally feeling confident that I know what's going on in those photos on the first page..

I don't think I'll have a problem making this setup at all :D
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Do you have to remove the turbo 'chimney' to install this?

I was thinking, since the i/c is so short (side to side) that you could just use half the scoop to divert air over it.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I do not think it is neccesary to remove the turbo chimney (mines removed because of my DP) but you will have to remove the inner part of the hood scoop so that the intercooler gets air.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

shoot, the chimney won't fit with that downpipe?

hmm, I'm going to have to modify it.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Matt - How is that thing fitted to the firewall? Did you have to move the ignitor?

I might have to go to Mineke and have them weld me the DV "bung" I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

It fit so tight that I didn't mount it to the firewall....yet. It's not as snug as it used to be because it's wearing into the firewall paint. I'll have to fab some sort of mounting bracket very soon.

Yes, the ignitor needs moved along with the wiring that goes to it. To move the wiring just unclip it from the firewall and push it down. This is also what I did to the ignitor. It's just pushed down below the I/C.

IIRC Vikash actually relocated his ignitor to the passengerside strut tower so he may be a good one to talk to about it.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Oh ya, the DV bung is the hardest part of the install. Having a shop weld it in for you will probably save you some heartache.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]