Heat riser removal.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Heat riser removal.

Post by kleinkid »

'91 Sport Sedan, 5mt. Is it neccessary to have the heat riser-shielding(correct name?) installed on the turbo? It looks like it would be easier to check for oil leaks and to see joints in that area better if it was removed. Your thoughts, advice is appreciated.
Dizzy
First Gear

Post by Dizzy »

It's not necessary, but I think it's good to have it there. If you want easy access, you could remove the hard to get to bolts, leaving the easy ones for quick removal.

I would keep it.
2004 STi
1993 Touring Wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you do remove it, you might never get it installed securely again. I removed mine once and the bolts now won't tighten very far because the internal threads are rusty, so the chimney vibrates around 3000 rpm, much to my annoyance.

Its purpose is to shield the rest of the engine bay from the heat of the turbo and to direct cool air from the hood scoop down towards the turbo.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Dizzy wrote:It's not necessary, but I think it's good to have it there. If you want easy access, you could remove the hard to get to bolts, leaving the easy ones for quick removal.

I would keep it.
I wouldn't take any of the bolts out that hold it on.

I had a very severe rattle at 2800-3500 rpm once and thought it was my heatshield on my old cat but it ended up being my turbo chimney had a single bolt missing. Replaced the bolt and never had a problem again until I decidede to remove it.

kleinkid, I would keep it on unless your running an after market DP that doesn't allow you to keep it (which is the reason I removed mine) or a bigger turbo.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Thanks for the advice. It stays on then. You saved me! Unrelated, but recent work--changed the fuel filter, and PCV valve out, result is smoother running engine. Not sure when the fuel filter($25.49) was changed last, but the PCV valve($4.04) did have CRUD inside. Parts from drivewire.com.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

unless you plan on changing the turbo or adding an intercooler then I'd leave it there. Contrary to what most people think, its there to vent hot air surrounding the turbo up out of the engine bay and out of the scoop in traffic or when parked.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Why remove it when adding an intercooler?

I notched mine to clear the relocated coolant line when I intercooled.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

its a pain in the ass to work around it, and it wont fit with a wrx intercooler.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah. Well, I think if you're installing a top-mount intercooler you should try to retain the heat shield if you can because it'll help prevent heat soak of the intercooler.