Sun/Moonroof Problems

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

neonglh
First Gear

Post by neonglh »

Eventhough no one is responding, I want to keep asking, in hope someone see's these :P

The glass piece itself has a rubber gasket that goes all the way around it. It is on the glass when you remove it from the sunroof enclosure. Mine has a tear in one of the corners, but is still on the glass.

Do you think this is bad enough for enough water to come in, and pass over the rails, or will this simply just go down the drain tubes? I would hate to spend all this time sealing up the sunroof, just to have to replace it later on because of this poor gasket.

--mark
Brims
In Neutral

Post by Brims »

So I did the temporary fix for now until I can get the time and space to do the permanent fix. Black electrical tape for the win!
'93 Legacy LS Sedan, 4EAT AWD

Who reads these things, anyway?
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Post by John Drivesabox »

Neonglh,
Yes, you only need to seal under the rails. If you look at the design, the front and rear of the assembly have walls, if the stripping goes to the edges of those walls (under the rails only, also, check out my pics closely) then the water will not get past the outside of the roof and will go straight out the tubes.

As far as the rubber surrounding the glass, that is only designed to minimally seal the roof from allowing water under the glass. In other words, the seal created when the roof is closed is NOT watertight and probably never will be. That's mostly why moonroofs are designed the way they are. Water gets under the edges of the glass but is directed out and cannot pass to the passenger compartment unless something is broken, i.e. the shitty Subaru factory seal.
[quote="George McFly"] Hey you, get your damn hands off her!
[/quote]

Navy Chief, what's your specialty?
neonglh
First Gear

Post by neonglh »

As I posted in one of my other threads, I got it all in, and its leak free. Its great, I got everything back together with exception of the ring that goes along the openign in the head liner. I have it mostly in, but there is a little 3" loop now that is tough to get fit. I have to work it around again, and hopefully it fits all the way.

--mark
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

I re-sealed my sunroof with 3M Marine sealant, and except for leaking the first time it rained, it's been leak-free ever since. I am a happy camper :D

Of course, now that I posted this it'll start leaking :p
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
neonglh
First Gear

Post by neonglh »

I now look up and can see the white sealant that squeezed through and is now visible, so I am going to use some brush-on touch-up paint to cover this up. Its clearly for looks, but it will make me slightly happier.

And I'm still fighting that damned loop! I cant get it to all fit, lol.

--mark
91riored
In Neutral

Post by 91riored »

if the gasket is in one piece try spraying it down with silicone lube this will loosen the rubber and 80% of the time it will not leak anymore i've done this on every car i've owned and none have leaked afterwards i do it when i clean the car. also check the roof rail gutters they fill up fast with pine needles and junk hope this help someone
i guess i'm the forum a-hole now
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

a question to all who had these leaks.
did the head liner ALWAYS get wet? because mine never does
I've got an aftermarket sunroof, and I get a wet drivers seat for the past week or so.
my gut feeling is that the water is coming in from my antenna because I went to remove the antenna (I screwed up the wire somehow I think) and the back screw wouldn't unscrew so once I got it to start unscrewing it jammed and it won't tighten or loosen now.

did any of that minor ramble make any sense to anyone.
it sucks sitting in a wet seat when it's freezing out!!
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

My sunroof leaks really bad. It isn't a problem if I park with the rear of the car higher that the front though.
I get about 2 quarts of water spilling on me if I forget to back in the driveway when it rains. My mother just borrowed the car yesterday and she got a big, wet surprize when she backed out of her driveway! haha

Anyway, the motor stop working also. I'll bet the connector is wet or the relay or something. I can hear a relay sound when I hit the buttons but no motion. I have been using the allen wrench to operate the roof lately.

I know where the motor is, is there also a relay up there somewhere? I seen the photos posted by All_talk, thanks for that by the way.

I'm gunna blast my front mud guards clean. Are there rear drains in my 91 SS? and where do they drain to? Rear mud gaurds? I'll look.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I just did this project today. Probably took about 4-5 hours, most of the time was consumed cleaning up all the old sealant off the rails.
It had always seeped minimally on the driver's side, but it suddenly began pouring in on the pass. side past rainstorm.
I took this project on, thanks to all these posts it really helped me out.
Before starting I checked all my drain hoses, and I discovered the hose which went out behind the wheel where the antenna was had been taken out of that grommet for some reason. There had to have been 6" of water in that compartment. No wonder why it's been dripping water after it rains.
After siphoning it out, I replaced the hose, and all is well there as well.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm sick of my sunroof leaking and I'm going to try to reseal it in the coming weeks. I'll try to post up some pics since almost all in this thread are gone. Wish me luck!
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I've just tackled this myself and I dont have much to add other than my pics which may help someone out. I followed all direction from this post though. Thanks fellas.
Last edited by magicmike on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

any reason why the pics arent showing up in last thread? just got the first rain in my car and WOW, i like my ass to be dry :D
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Don't they sell a gasket that goes around the glass? Wouldn't it work if the water was stopped altogether? You guys should probably try lubing up the gasket with silicone so it seats better and makes a better seal.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Mattheww044 wrote:any reason why the pics arent showing up in last thread? just got the first rain in my car and WOW, i like my ass to be dry :D
Ahh, i reorganized my photoshop, let me relink for ya
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

thanks... wow that looks like a major pain. im not quite sure what is causing mine to leak, but i really dont wanna dig into it like you did until i have the time for it... is there any successful "easy" ways to do it?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Mattheww044 wrote:thanks... wow that looks like a major pain. im not quite sure what is causing mine to leak, but i really dont wanna dig into it like you did until i have the time for it... is there any successful "easy" ways to do it?
No! if you look at the first couple of pictures you can see that the black foam type stuff that they put between the alluminum rails and the black sheet metal tray disintegrates ans thats where the leak comes from.
Those alluminum rails go the length of the sheet metal tub and there is no way to get to the back end of them without taking the whole thing out.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

wow... this is going to be a "FUN" project, but it will be well worth it once its done. thanks for the help
brodie.gordon
First Gear

sunroof

Post by brodie.gordon »

what if you drain tubes are leaking on the inside of your car? mine are leaking into the interior of the car. i took off the inside panel just above the floor board on the passenger side and put water into my tubes and could see it leaking out of the tube before it even got outside. can the tubes be replaced with any general tubing? i am sure that its oh so much fun to replace them, laugh.
1991 Legacy turbo
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

I wouldn't even go there. If the tubes are filling with water it's because they're clogged. Remove the fender or wheel well liners and you'll see where the tubes come out, clean out your liners and put some water through the top, you should be fine.
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Oh, as I was. I understand what you're talking about. I'm sure the tubes aren't too hard to get out, and you should be able to use any sort of similar home/auto tubing to replace it.

That is of course assuming that your tubes are corroded/broken/torn. But I bet something is just full of leaves and/or dirt.
[/quote]

xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

Hope this works! I just did it and it will be such a relief if it turns out to have worked. Im betting on it though.
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

To get your hands on superior lubricant products from AMSOIL utilize the following url:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1819626&page=store
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Took about an hour but I got the headliner off and the sunroof assembly into the house. The sealant under the rails, as was expected, is completely disintegrated. Cleaning and resealing will happen today and will hopefully result in a dry car.

I was thinking though, is what makes the sunroof stop a little before completely closing-a mechanical piece or a function of the motor or something? I'd love not to have to hit the button twice.

Also, how do you get the black base to separate from the rails/glass assembly. I've taken off the front screws, the nuts that hold the wind deflector on and the set of nuts that hold a bracket on at the back. The tracks are attached to the gold metal tubes with the cables or similar? How do I continue?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Subaru_Nation555 wrote:I was thinking though, is what makes the sunroof stop a little before completely closing-a mechanical piece or a function of the motor or something? I'd love not to have to hit the button twice.
My understanding is thats a 'safety' feature.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Friday leaving work, the whole top portion on the passenger side of the headliner was soaking wet. Great. It's ironic too, since just a few weeks ago, I did the 'cheat' repair and just lifted up the front portion of the rails and squeezed in some silicone caulking.

Anyways, it only took me 1-1.5hrs to get the headliner and sunroof removed myself. I didn't pay attention to others instructions and left the glass in while I removed the whole assembly. Damn that makes it a lot harder!

Hey look, the damn thing leaked from the back corner:

Removing the rails was somewhat harder, due to the new silicone I had recently squeezed in. Just took some extra prying with a screwdriver and moving backwards.

Old black sealant obviously long past failure:

Got everything cleaned up, new lines of caulk and reinstalled just before dusk. Total time from start to finish -- 4.5 hrs.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.