Toyo Proxes 4 Review

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Toyo Proxes 4 Review

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I recently upgraded to a set of WRX wheels. The previous owner ran -1 degree camber all arond so the inside of each tire was pretty worn. Not to mention one had a slow leak in it and the RE-92's would hydroplane on the highway. I did some research on other forums and alot of WRX owners are really happy with their Toyo Proxes 4. So I ordered a set in 205/55-16 from edgeracing.com at $78 a tire plus $34 for standard shipping. Not a bad price considering my local tire store wanted $105 per tire. Anyway just got back from the initial test drive and figured I'd write up on my impressions thus far. Steering feels sightly more responsive but partially due to the fact that one of the tires doesn't have a leak in it. Much more confidence while cornering and braking. They don't moan around the corners that the RE-92's used to. So far I'm very pleased with their dry weather traction. I've heard they are also great in rain but I'll post on that when we get some showers in the DC area. I've heard they also get decent tread life too.

UPDATE:
Just got a T-storm in Arlington so I got a chance to test these tires in the rain. Could be happier-wet traction is great. Car feels much more confident while accelerating, cornering and braking in the rain. I can easliy recommend these tires to anyone looking for an ultra high performance all-season tire.
Last edited by Subaru_Nation555 on Sat May 14, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

My neighbor has them on his 99 Taurus SHO. You'll probably see his car next tuesday.

He really likes them. He had the TPT's before these, and seems to like these a lot better.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

my bro has thoes on his gsr. he said that they have zero road noise when compared to the yokes he had on before. im looking for new tires right now. these just entered the running
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

If I need an all-season, I'd get these. I drove the SHO around a little bit on those tires, and they felt good.

I'll just keep getting summer tires and then winter tires. Easier, and much more confident in the warm weather. The 4's seemed to take a long time to break in on his car. Solid now though.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I've got these on my Forester now. They did great in the snow last night!

NEED an all-season? Get the 4's. Good price, and great performance. It exceeded what I expected.

I paid $76 a tire, free shipping.

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

thats pretty good.

i have nitto nt450's on my car. snowed the other night and i almost couldnt get home
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Those are the WORST tires I've ever EVER driven on. I wouldn't wish those tires on all but my worst enemies.

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

BAC5.2 wrote:I've got these on my Forester now. They did great in the snow last night!
Interesting, I've been wondering how they do in the snow. We just got the first real snow in central PA but I didn't have a chance to drive around.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

BAC5.2 wrote:Those are the WORST tires I've ever EVER driven on. I wouldn't wish those tires on all but my worst enemies.
i dont wish them on me either but they kept me from driving on my azenis so ti was a plus. they came with the wheels. ill deal
-jason
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

My neighbor opted against mounting his snow tires last year, and rolled on proxes 4's all winter.... in a 3600lb FWD, V8 fish.

They are cool, you'll like them.

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

BAC, where did you get your Proxes 4 for $76 each and free shipping?
'94 TW
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

edgeracing.com has 205/55-16s for $78
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

SN555, thanks for that lead.

I was just wondering where BAC got his tires at close to that price but didn't have to pay shipping.
'94 TW
GLCraigGT
First Gear

Post by GLCraigGT »

I've had a set of these on my 94 GT since July of 04. At first I thought they were great but in the last year I've notice that they catch the ruts on the hwy and yank the steering wheel a lot more. Also over thanksgiving weekend I was having some hydroplaning issues when driving above 60mph. The hydroplaning maybe more related to have more air pressure in the tires then I should have. The following weekend I put on my Hakkapeliittas to play in the snow and the rut catching went away.
There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

2009 STI, It's staying stock, well at least the first 100K
84 GL Wagon With Factory Brushgaurd, The Lack of Power Wagon RallyX machine.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

93Leg-c wrote:SN555, thanks for that lead.

I was just wondering where BAC got his tires at close to that price but didn't have to pay shipping.
I got a hookup :)

Different size too... 225/55/16.

Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Using Proxes 4 for a year and a half, so the all-seasons have seen all of them :smt042

The 205/55/16s dont hook up with the pavement ruts too badly and have been v.g. in the wet. In the snow seems fine too. 8)

Haven't tried them on the track.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

BAC5.2 wrote:
93Leg-c wrote:I was just wondering where BAC got his tires at close to that price but didn't have to pay shipping.
I got a hookup :)

Different size too... 225/55/16.
Good deal!

Big tires. But you can run those on your car with no problem!

Anybody knows why I'm not getting notified in my email inbox of added posts in threads that I've posted in?
'94 TW
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93Leg-c wrote:Anybody knows why I'm not getting notified in my email inbox of added posts in threads that I've posted in?
I checked and it's setup in your profile to email you, however the box doesn't appear to be checked if I edit your post. So you may just want to check that the "Notify me when a reply is posted" is checked off.

It may have something to do with the board skin you're using. There's signature issues with some of the other skins....this may be another bug.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The 225/55/16 are for the Forester, not the Legacy FWIW.

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

that is a fat tire my friend. but then again its a forester. id rather have 225 45 16 on my impreza
-jason
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Heck yes it is. Both cars have 225's ;).

Ride is nice.