4EAT front diff swap complete (pics)

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

All_talk
Third Gear

4EAT front diff swap complete (pics)

Post by All_talk »

I just finished replacing the bad 4EAT (slipping in 3ed & 4th) in my ’92 Legacy SS, the donor was a ’97 Impreza so I had to swap the front diff from my turbo trans (3.9:1 ratio). I’ve got about 50 miles on it and all seems well. I figured that I would share what I learned.

First, the turbo trans is a little different from other 4EATs, it has more disks in some of its clutch packs to handle the extra power, but my replacement trans (non-turbo) seems to be in good shape and I’m sure if I don’t abuse it badly it will last quite some time. I may add a cooler which should be a great help.

The diff swap isn’t a job for a guy who just learned to change his oil, but if you’ve been working with cars for a while it’s not to bad. Its pretty basic mechanicing so I wont go through a step by step but I’ll be happy to answer any questions about it.

Hear are a few notes:

Electrical connectors are the same and the TCU isn’t throwing any codes so the later trans electronics are compatible.

Keep the Torque Converter with the respective trans, the center input shafts are different on the TC end, the ’97 has a bearing journal on the end, this may be a difference between the turbo and N/A, I’m not sure. My ’92 TC wouldn’t fit, but I was able to swap the whole shaft.

Input shaft, ’92 turbo on top, ’97 on bottom

The pinion shafts are different, the bearing mounting on the gear end is different but fits the case the same. The splined end is different as well and requires you keep the counter gear that came on it. And be very careful not to loose the spacer that goes on the early (’92) pinion shaft behind the counter gear, I had to go fishing inside the old case when things didn’t come out right.

Pinion Shaft, ’97 left, ’92 right

I kept the shim that was with the pinion shaft, the contact pattern and backlash seem good.

The guy that I bought the replacement trans from said that rear transfer clutch seemed to be jittering a little at cruse but wasn’t sure if it was the C-solenoid, the TCU or a problem in the wiring (he swapped in a 5MT). So hoping to avoid trouble I swapped in the C-solenoid from my old trans.

The tail housing with the infamous C-solenoid.

So far all is well (knock on wood), the only potential problem is that I can hear C-solenoid buzzing at times (in gear at idle with the trans up to temp). The trans is shifting fine and the rear transfer clutch is working fine with no torque bind, just seems a little odd to hear it. Could be normal, I’ve never had a 4EAT before, or impending doom?

More pics here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_ ... baru/4EAT/

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.