tranny cooler?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JOE590ME
In Neutral

tranny cooler?

Post by JOE590ME »

I have been reading all the post and i have herd alot about an external tranny cooler, now i do not no much about cars, so what does that do? is it easy to hook up?? and where do i go for one and what do i ask 4?? do i go to like NAPA or VIP or PepBoys or something??
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Any place that has one should do, but mind the quality..
I can't remember how they go on.. from what I've gathered here, they're supposed to work in series with your existing cooler, which is the lines going from the tranny to the radiator. (the nipples for this should be on the right side of the radiator, facing the car. --driver's side, IIRC.)
They're not too hard, to hookup, i don't think. I need to look into replacing my rad, taking out the ac condensor and putting one of these tranny coolers in its place..
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Get the plate type not the old school tube and fin style. Tru- Cool is a good brand, I put a HUGE one on my Suburban... after the $2500 tranny rebuild. :roll:

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

They're a great investment imho, but you'll need to be creative in so far as how you go about trying to install one -at least on an auto w/ AC.
There is, literally, no place to install it. I bought one (after having invested in others in the past) for my LS AWD n/a and ended up having to return it. There was just nothing I could do to rearrange, adjust or accomodate it.
I've since switched to Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid (worth it's weight in gold!!!) and I keep my radiator fluid adjusted and in step w/ the season.
My car is fine regardless of how hard or how many accesories are being used.
Maintenence is the key here, I think. Auto's are strange and unpredictable beasts -change your fluid every 20-30k, make sure your filters are clean and don't drive like a race car driver and you'll prolly be fine for many thousands of miles.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP