GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wildacex187
First Gear

Post by wildacex187 »

dont really care about spring rates at the momment. my shocks are blown and i found a set of wrx wagon springs and shocksfor 50 bux and just wonder if i can throw them on same as the sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You'll have to change the mounts.

The wagon rear springs have higher spring rates, I believe. This is because the wagon rear end is heavier and needs extra support. People on this board who have wagons who have put WRX sedan springs on their cars have found out the hard way when their ass end starts sagging.

That said, your handling won't be ideal IMO. You should keep sedan springs on sedans and wagon springs on wagons.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

subyluvr2212 wrote:You'll have to change the mounts.

The wagon rear springs have higher spring rates, I believe. This is because the wagon rear end is heavier and needs extra support. People on this board who have wagons who have put WRX sedan springs on their cars have found out the hard way when their ass end starts sagging.

That said, your handling won't be ideal IMO. You should keep sedan springs on sedans and wagon springs on wagons.
Actually, WRX wagons don't have really high rear spring rates like the Legacy wagons, so it could actually improve the handling. Using the wagon stuff will also help with the camber curve. 02-03 stuff apparently will raise the rear though.
wildacex187
First Gear

Post by wildacex187 »

its ok if its a little high or what no. cant beat the price since my suspension is shot
5sp 94 ss

wtb: power antenna, a rear right abs sensor and a rear lsd bolt on diff . pls pm me if u have these parts
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

Any ideas on how low my 94 legacy would sit with GD Prodrive springs and KYB AGX's?
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

from what I can tell, the 02-03 stuff will lift the rear, and the 04+ stuff will lower the car. With 02-03 Prodrive springs you have a really aggressive rake and 04+ stuff will drop your car over an inch.
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Question Group N (STi) Strut Mounts

Post by siouxbe »

Exactly which Group N Strut Mounts do I need for MY '91 BF
Legacy wagon? The ones for '93-'03 or the '04's ???
Any one have part #'s for sure?
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

Depends on which springs you're using in the rear.
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

I plan on using the stock springs
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

i have the same question about group n mounts. i am planning to go with agx and whitelines. what year group n mounts would work?

i am also planning to use a cusco rear strut bar for a 93-01 impreza, would it matter what top hats to use? thanks in advance.
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

hey guys, I've been reading every post on this thread. Just to confirm what I've been reading. for a 91 ss I could use 04 sti shocks and struts with no problem as long as I use my 91 top hats??? If I used the 04 sti top hats I would have to file them down.
WOuld it be possible to use a tein edfc system for a 04 wrx or 04 sti???

OK so know if I were to use 04 sti swaybars with that it should make for a very stiff ride? about the heights Would I have a 50/50 or would it be more off balance??? Thanks in advance
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Psychoreo wrote:
Now, 95mm for 90-91 legacy rear spring top diameter, 100mm for 04+ impreza rear spring top diameter, the difference is 5mm. That is theoretically workable.
There's nothing theoretical about it. I installed 04 wrx struts and spring with my 91 stock tops and it fits perfect.
So this leads me to believe I could install coilovers for an 04 STi on my 91 SS and only have to change the front tophats. Can someone confirm this?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
00lgt
In Neutral

Post by 00lgt »

i have a 93 legacy turbo i recently got rid of my 04 sti but i still have the stock springs what would need to be done to put them on the legacy and what would be a good strut for them thanks-jeff
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

00lgt wrote:i have a 93 legacy turbo i recently got rid of my 04 sti but i still have the stock springs what would need to be done to put them on the legacy and what would be a good strut for them thanks-jeff

...quite a transition?
like it says in here they should work fine/ KYB AGX or Gr2's for struts.

i have no idea about top hats though, i still dont get that aspect
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
00lgt
In Neutral

Post by 00lgt »

yeah but thats what kids do lol thanks any where you would suggest to get the struts from?

alright i went back through all the post and i think i got it but if someone could tell me for sure that would be great i think i need the top hats from a 90-91 for the springs to work for the rear and should be fine in the front if thats right would there be anythig else or just swap them out? thanks-jeff
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

nasioc is my best bet
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
BMWGeoff
In Neutral

Post by BMWGeoff »

I'm kinda new to the Subaru stuff... just looking to clarify my situation after reading through this and the compendium

90 AWD Sedan

Got:
04+ Prodrive P1 WRX Springs

Think I need:
90-91 Rear Top Hats
04 WRX Front Top Hats

Not Sure About:
Struts... want to go KYB AGX, but for 02 WRX or 90-94 Legacy/93-01 Impreza?

Anything else I'm missing?

Any help is appreciated
BMWGeoff
In Neutral

Post by BMWGeoff »

no one able to help me out on this one? need to know which struts to order
90 Legacy Sedan - Project
85 BMW 325e - Daily Beater
86 Honda Accord - Ice Racer
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Post a thread about it. I'm sure someone will help you out then.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

FWIW: I just finished installing 05 WRX wagon springs and KYB AGX struts on my 92 wagon. The rear is a little lower, but not as much as with Eibachs. The front is significantly higher. From what I've read, I believe this is due to the lower spring perch height difference between 90-91 and 92-94. It sits real funny and prolly drives the same.

Hope this helps anyone trying to plan a suspension setup.

Edit: After settling, the ride height is about what it should be (unless the WRX springs are not actually off of a wagon). I guess there was more 'give' in all the rubber pieces than I imagined.

Summary: 05 WRX springs lower a little and stiffen nicely.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 06 WRX TR and a 06 Wrx on spring rates? Getting some springs for cheap, hopefully the rates aren't to high,
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
shoodoggy
In Neutral

Post by shoodoggy »

i read through most of this thread, im still a little unsure, i guess i have crappy comprehension. would 04 wrx springs (just the springs, no other components) fit directly onto my '92 legacy NA fwd? thanks for the help
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

No. You need 02-03 Impreza springs.

91legacyawdturbo, the 06 WRX TR springs are the same as any other 06 WRX.
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

***PLEASE READ FIRST POST BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTION!***

I did my best to compile all information in this thread comprehensively in the first post. I got as many part numbers as I could, and tried to explain what springs fit on what car, and what parts you'll need to make them fit.

Please, please, please read through that first post before asking your question.

Thanks.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Just to confirm, last night I tried to install 05 STi struts/shocks on my 91 N/A and they DID NOT fit.

For the front, the top hat fits, but the the distance between the perch holes are 1/2" too long. ( stock being 2.5" and STi being 3") Other than that, they were a good fit.

For the rear, the perch will fit as it is the same measurement as the OEM strut/spring. The top hat will not fit. It looked to be too wide on the back side (center to the car) to be able to fit flush against the body of the car. Also, the distance between the OEM and STi top hat bolts are about 7/16" different.

So, can I switch out my front perches to fit?

I know I can switch out my rear top hats.
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread