Does anyone know...?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dr.Outback
First Gear

Does anyone know...?

Post by Dr.Outback »

Does anyone know of any company that specifically makes an intercooler for a '93 Sport Sedan, or do you have to modify an intercooler from another car? Thanks
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

the only company that specifically made an intercooler for the 1st gen turbo's was subaru itself. oversea's spec turbo's had an air/water intercooler stock. We in North America didn't get it, so the only option is to modify one to get it to fit. The air/water intercooler from subaru is a pain to setup since these cars didn't come with the nessesary support systems to implement one. You'd be better off putting in a wrx, saab 900, or 93-96 slant WRX intercoolers.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Hmm... personal opinion seeped in there somewhere. Any intercooler is going to need a custom made pipe from the turbo to the intercooler inlet. Which is also where the stock recirculation valve resides.

But, to sum up. There is no intercooler on earth (that we know of) that you can just buy and plug straight into a USDM Legacy turbo. All will need custom work. Saab 900, 93-96 WRX top mount, and oversea's spec Air-water are the most popular put in these cars and will have some research into what works and what doesn't.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Your best bet would be a SAAB 900 IC or a air/air USDM WRX IC. Or if you have the money, get a custom front mount or top mount from spearco or someplace.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
Dr.Outback
First Gear

Post by Dr.Outback »

Well, so what you are saying is that it will take hours of work and head banging to install one. Maybe I will just be happy with it stock for now. It's such a big upgrade from my '84 GL wagon.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Hours of work and headbanging? That may not be the case, but it will take a little work. The air/water intercooler will give you the best results from what I understand with everything else stock. The air/air top mounts won't get sufficient air from the little scoop on our hoods, but unless you want big power, they should work fine. The down side to the air/water is that you need to find a water pump, and a radiator like thing to stick on the front of the ac condenser. The water also will add weight to the front end of your car. So all things considered, there is posative and negatives to all of them. The easiest to put in will probably be the saab or the slant wrx intercooler (ver 2 I think). All that I've learned from just reading posts, not necissarily from personal experience.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Dr.Outback
First Gear

Post by Dr.Outback »

I'll have to keep my eyes open for any good used intercoolers.
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

Check Ebay for WRX ICs.. I just saw two yesterday on there. I fit my Saab one but I'm gonna try and fit my WRX IC for the Rallycross this weekend. Good luck

PJ
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

hmmm....
I wonder if I have a lot more room for a topmount IC since I have the Ej20G and its throttle body sits farther forward...what I'm getting at is, maybe I could run a better, larger IC, maybe a spearco or something aftermarket from a latter wrx or somethings, and then sell my early wrx slant for a pretty penny... :twisted:
hmmm
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

or give someone on the board a decent deal :?

and i don't mean me, i already have one far superior to yours :wink:
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Hondaslayer
In Neutral

Post by Hondaslayer »

Got curious and pulled the Rallispec I/C off my RS-t and put it on the legacy today,and it fits rather well,downside they are very pricey ($750)
2001 Impreza RS-t. Homebrewed turbo kit,10 psi,water injection.Now with anti-lag to preserve freshness!! SOLD!!!
1991 Legacy turbo sedan. Rally prep
2004 Forester XT Stockish