Fuel system day

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fuel system day

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I spent the afternoon working on the fuel system.

First thing I did was swap out the fuel sender that was on the 92 turbo pump assembly to the one that was on the 90 n/a pump assembly. The contacts are bigger, and I think measure more accurately. The turbo one would fluctuate up and down a bit mre then I was used to, especially when the tank was low.

I noticed some particles on the sock when I pulled the pump out. I don't think the inside of my tank is that clean.

Next, I tested fuel system pressure. I got 30 psig at idle with the vacuum hose connected to the regulator. I got 40 psig at idle with the vacuum hose disconnected from the regulator.

After running the car for a few minutes and going back to the fuel pump connector, I noticed it was warm. I know there's been discussion about the connector and replacing it. I did some testing on the ground lead, and found it was showing about 47 ohms between it, and a good ground. Sometimes it would show 0 ohms. So I think the wire had degraded over time. I wired up a new ground wire and rewired the power and ground pins to separate connectors. I left the level sender wiring alone.

If I hadn't had disconnected the fuel pressure gauge, I would've tested the pressures again to see if they changed, but I didn't feel like hooking everything up again.

As for any change....I didn't notice anything, but I feel better knowing the pump has a better ground.

I also changed the fuel filter, but that's not a biggy.

here's pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... s/fuelsys/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Wait...under the rear seat is where the fuel pump is!? Shit...I didn't know that. Not that I messed with anything under there or anything but....
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The fuel pump is actually accessable from the trunk. There's an access panel under the carpet to get at the pump.

The electrical connector is what is under the rear seat.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm