1998 Legacy Wagon

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Drifting STi
First Gear

1998 Legacy Wagon

Post by Drifting STi »

I managed to pick up a white 98 wagon with 170K miles :shock: $2000 dollars
It runs great but I'm gonna need a front axle, rear brake job, and interior cleaning (smells like the PO's 3 dogs :evil: )

Here is my Suspension question: The steering wheel is sloppy as can be. What parts should I start replacing. I want to get this fixed ASAP. I am so used to my STi and 85 Porsche 944 with such tight and responsive steering, this is killing me.

Also, am I going to be baned since its not an 89-94?
Is there a 95-00 board?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You could start with wheels/tires and Whiteline or SuperPro steering rack bushings. Obviously a '98 wagon doesn't have near the suspension that your STi has, so its gonna be hard to get the wagon to the same level. The struts and springs are mush compared to the STi, so that may need attention as well if you want the response to be at STi/Porsche level.

IMHO, tight steering feel cannot be had with one quick fix on a ho-hum car. There are several factors that come into play and thats why I listed several things.

I'm curious. Why did you decide to buy the wagon when there is so much you can do to your STi? Warranty?

Also, 93-99 or 2000 legacies and imprezas are damn near the same suspension wise. Even a brand new STi shares a lot with my '93.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Drifting STi
First Gear

Post by Drifting STi »

Dan,
Thanx for the reply. I bought the wagon because the STi is my garage queen. She just sits there. I've done mods to it, but nothing crazy. The Porsche was my daily driver to the train station. I have to sell the Porsche because its really a track car with a roll cage, racing seat, etc., so its was no good when I had to move my two kids.

The problem with the steering is TONS of play and some shaking over 65 MPH. I'm going to start with a visual inspection and start changing what ever is wrong.

BTW thanx for the info on the suspension being the same on most subys. I really want to do a complete spring and strut job even thought just the rear ones are shot.

Also, I have stock a STi suspension like sway bars and springs left over from the mods I've done. Will these fit the legacy?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

A few people on this board have used struts and springs from '04 or earlier STi's with the proper tophats. Swaybars will not interchange.

i thought about going that route, but ended up getting H&R coilovers. Expensive, but so far, very worth it.

Also, the Whiteline Antilift kit makes a difference. Since I went from stock '93 mush to coilovers, antilift, and lots of polyurathane, its hard to quantify each change.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

look at the inner tie rod rack boots for rips and tears, and wheels for free play in and out, and of course for the common bent wheels on new aquisitions.

I haven't bought a car and found four straight wheels ever, I don't believe.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car