Can I replace throwout bearing without dropping the tranny?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thefultonhow
Second Gear

Can I replace throwout bearing without dropping the tranny?

Post by thefultonhow »

My throwout bearing was already in bad shape when I got the car in January. Over the past several months it's gotten worse -- I used to be able to adjust out the clicking when not engaged fairly easily, but now I have to have the thing ajdusted completely incorrectly to do so.

I'd like to replace the TOB this summer when I get back to Baltimore, both to eliminate the noise and to make sure I don't kill my pressure plate, but I don't really want to have to drop the tranny to swap it out. On IRC, Scuzzy said that I might be able to just unbolt it and slide it back and access the bearing that way. Is this possible? Would it be possible to access it in any other way that doesn't involve taking the transmission out?
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Pretty darn sure you'll have to drop that sucker to be able to get into it to do anything.
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sliding the transmission back isn't really any easier than simply dropping it, and there isn't very much room in the tranny tunnel anyway.

What I recommend is the reverse: slide the engine forwards. The procedure is easy. It goes something like this:

- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Drain the coolant and remove the radiator. Put a thick piece of cardboard or something over the aft side of the A/C condenser to protect it.
- Undo the two lower motor mount nuts.
- Unbolt the exhaust. I suppose you could do this either by undoing the six bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the engine or by undoing the spring bolts aft of the catalytic converter.
- Undo the electrical connections at the starter and then remove the starter.
- Remove the remaining bellhousing bolt on the upper passenger side and remove the two bellhousing nuts from underneath. A flex extension or a flex 14mm socket will help you do this with the axles in the way.
- Lift the engine a few centimeters so the motor mounts clear the crossmember, and move the engine forwards. The easiest way to do this is either with a transmission jack under the oil pan or with an engine crane. In a pinch I would imagine a regular trolley jack could do it.

You should end up with a good 7 or 8 centimeters of space to reach in and replace the throwout bearing. You might consider going ahead with an entire clutch job though; it can be done through the same space.

My first time doing a clutch job this way the entire job took roughly 4 hours from start to finish.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

The entire clutch from what I can find is $187 versus $35 for just the throwout bearing. Is there a cheaper way to do the whole clutch? Parts from other Subarus? eBay?
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

$187 is a decent price for a complete clutch kit.

The reason I'm suggesting doing the whole thing is that the work involved to get in there a second time to replace the other parts is not insignificant. But also, I forgot that non-turbo throwout bearings are so cheap. Turbo TOBs cost big bucks.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212