Project mu, new rotors, goodridge brake lines

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Project mu, new rotors, goodridge brake lines

Post by Imprezive »

Finaly got the time Tuesday night to swap out my old Axxis ultimates and old rotors for some fresh stuff!!! (keep in mind I have wrx front brakes)

So I picked up a set of Project MU Type NS street/comfort pads and a set of Goodridge stainless brake lines off of NASIOC and stole my borther's freshly turned wrx rotors :twisted:

Finished the replacement Wednesday night and took it for some brake-in-braking. I did a gentle 40-0 stop, then a gentle 60mph-0. Then a few other 60mph-0 stops and then drove the car home.

Since then I have discovered the following;

The pads take a but more warming up to get into their operating temp than my old Axxis pads did. They don't seem as grabby as well. But then again I have only put ~70 miles on them since I installed them. I think next time I'll get the next step up from the Type NS pads. To see if it makes much of a difference. And the Goodridge lines provided a much welcomed brake pedal firmness increase. :-D

Overall I am happy. The slight vibration I did experience during braking is gone thanks to the newish rotors, and the pads deffinately grab when I need them to, I'm guessing they will get better as I break them in more, the brake lines are also a valuable upgrade.

:D
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Update: The Project Mu NS pads are crap.

They suck compared to AXXIS Ultimates, and they squeak like all hell. It starts out as a hellish, unbearable screech when they aren't warmed up. And when they get warmed up its a high pitched squeak you'd expect from worn out brakes rubbing on the wear plate to let you know they need to be changed.
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Another update:

Although the Project Mu pads seemed to suck at first I think I have found how to make them work.

They need to get a little heat in them before they start to really grab. More so than my previous AXXIS Ultimates.

I took my car to a track day at Thundehill Raceway up in Willows, California. The pads stood up just fine to all the braking an amateur like I could throw at them.

Granted this race track does have some decent straights to help the cool, these brakes did an awesome job.
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3