Best way to 220-40hp at the crank

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cyberbackpacker
First Gear

Best way to 220-40hp at the crank

Post by cyberbackpacker »

What would be the most effective way to get to 220-240 at the crank? If so, is it possible with the vf11? I know most people say 11psi is about as far as I should go with this turbo.

Right now I am bone stock but running a 90 na legacy tranny (4.11 gearing). So I was thinking bellmouth dp, 3" tbe, mbc, some sort of intercooler... really do not want to have to go to a standalone or new fuel injectors or anything.

I have searched and searched, but am looking for people that are putting out these numbers to see what set-ups you are running.

Thanks in advance.
-Kevin
cyberbackpacker
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Need the 16G and the 06 WRX intercooler, 3 inch exhaust and 12lbs boost.

That should do it,but the stock injectors might be maxed.

During my tuning, they reached 225 at the wheels at around 14 lbs on the 16G.

I had about 195 at the wheels on 9 lbs boost and the 16G.

So that should give you an idea.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
gto7419
Second Gear

Post by gto7419 »

You could definately reach 240 crank with an 06 wrx tmic and a wrx td04 turbo. A 16g is a little overkill for 240 crank...

dscoobydoo, I would have guessed going from 9 to 14 psi on a 16g would give you a few more horses than you got :?

Your injectors will probably be maxed somewhere around these levels as dscoobydoo said... Several things you can do about that - 1rst option = rrfpr ~$100. 2nd option = sti yellow injectors and safc II = $400.

If you are going to use a rrfpr I would DEF recommend a fuel pressure gauge - this way you can make sure youre getting enough fuel instead of just guessing.

Danny
500cc Shifterkart, 125cc Shifterkart, 01 MX5, 93 Legacy Wagon (DIY Turbo)
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Going off GTO-
Cheap options:
Used TD04
Sti Yellows
3 inch exhaust
top mount and something to control fuel.
and FCD
That should get you close.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Anything reasonably above 200 chp, and your MAF sensor is going to max out, hence the injectors max out. You lose fine tuning fuel control at that point.

Each engine I guess will be a little different, but I was pushing close to 5v on the MAF sensor with the stock vf11.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cyberbackpacker
First Gear

Post by cyberbackpacker »

Okay, I appreciate the feedback. So, based on Legacy777's info, maybe for now my best bet is to shoot for 200chp. If so, what mods would take me there.

What I am looking for is a more spirited daily driver, canyon and mountain roads, with a rare auto-x.

I do not anything crazy, so maybe 200chp would serve me well.
What would a good, honest, setup be to take me there?
-Kevin
cyberbackpacker
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

TBE, intercooler, and bumping up the boost will get you near there. Stuff like a LW FW and ignition will also help.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
gto7419
Second Gear

Post by gto7419 »

240 chp is not that far away... If you want it, it is certainly attainable... At these levels, you dont have to worry about the maf maxing out if you have a safc II fuel controller (which you will need if you upgrade injectors).

You can probably max out your current turbo with exhaust, i/c, and mbc.... This would probably net you a good bump in power if thats all youre after....

The above are good starting points too, b/c you can always upgrade the other components around these and not have to replace them as long as you get decent stuff... For instance, you want a 3" or sti exhaust and an 06 wrx tmic - a wrx exhaust is smaller and the saab i/c will not support much more than the stock turbo can handle....
500cc Shifterkart, 125cc Shifterkart, 01 MX5, 93 Legacy Wagon (DIY Turbo)
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

You could also put in an EJ20G ECU with the corresponding injectors, maf, and turbo and be about there.

It wont be 100% perfect though, unfortunately :(
i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

Ummm stock, My GT puts out 200 at the crank. Shouldn't be too hard to achieve that at least from an engine with more displacement.

Going with a 20G ECU, out of which car though? Your best sure fire bet is out of a Legacy RS-RA, the only Legacy to date that got STi tweaking.
Good luck getting one though, as I'm having trouble finding one myself. To make matters worse, I know of only 2 running RS-RA's in town. The wrecker has hinted that he MIGHT have one in his graveyard, but won't give me a definite answer...bastard...he knows what I'm after too.
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

i c the light,
You sorely underestimate the limitations of our USMD ECU's. Keep in mind that even with the larger discplacment, our cars came with a tune that only netted us 160chp. We also are saddled with a crappy ECU and metal MAF that doesn't have the same range as the AA160 JECS MAF that's on your car.

I am in the process of putting an Ej20G into my Legacy and will get it on the dyno once it's installed. I want to know just how much the stock ECU compenstates and what it nets before I start tweaking it with either an AFC or an Ej20G ECU.

Regarding, EJ20G ECU's, keep in mind that the pinouts and plugs for a 94-96 WRX ECU are pretty much the same as a Liberty/Legacy Ej20G ECU. One does NOT need to come up with an RS-RA ECU to net high performance. When I install my ECU, it will be a Z4 ECU from the same 1995 WRX engine that is going into my car. 260ps from the factory on just shy of 1 bar of boost. Furthermore, for anyone considering this route, don't forget the coil on plug conversion and the need for the JECS MAF. It's not just a plug in affair for us US guys, though it would be for i c...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

You don't need to convert to coil on plug to use an EJ20G ECU. I'm using one with the stock waste spark coilpack. What you do need is an ignitor with at least four channels.

I'm going to try the RS-RA ECU after I get this GT ECU to run properly, then see if I can't finagle a vos-chipped ECU.

But yes an STi-RA ecu would be the best way to go as far as G ECU's go.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

What USDM Subarus have 4-channel ignitors?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
silverlegacy
In Neutral

Post by silverlegacy »

The USDM maf can easily be made to work well by a good tuner by putting it in a bigger housing or just eliminate the MAS and get a decent tune on a MAF translator with the speed density conversion. It would be much easier than trying to rewire the car to use a still factory limited computer setup.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:What USDM Subarus have 4-channel ignitors?
None that I know of, but anything with coil-on-plug that is older than an EJ20R/EJ20K will have a 4 channel, and SVX's have a 6 channel.
EvilAsPie
In Neutral

Post by EvilAsPie »

I am new to the forum. Just bought a 1993 Legacy SS with a TD04, in need of a little fine tuning.

I have been doing research on the best way to do this and found this thread very useful.

But i have a question. Nobody seams to mention headers and up-pipes when shooting for 220-240 chp. I have an exhaust leak that is around the turbo and i think is between the turbo and up-pipe. The DP all the way back is new but the headers and up-pipe are stock and look original.

I'm wondering if is worth replacing the headers and up-pipe since i have to have them unbolted from the turbo any? They are pretty nasty looking. And also what kinds of effects will this have on a setup similar to:
Going off GTO-
Cheap options:
Used TD04
Sti Yellows
3 inch exhaust
top mount and something to control fuel.
and FCD
That should get you close.
Do they even matter since stock(original) heads are pretty restricting anyway?

Thanks.