Guys think about the Megasquirt standalone? ITS WORKS

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

94legacy2.2
First Gear

Guys think about the Megasquirt standalone? ITS WORKS

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

Im wondering If you guys with the turbo Legacys have heard of Megasquirt? Its a full standalone or can be used as a piggy back.

Ill give you some details.

I drive a 96 dodge neon thats turbo'd. Ive been using the MS (megasquirt) for 2-3 years now. I love it. Only paid 300.00 for it.
Im using it to controll 1000cc injectors, 4 bar map sensor (means you can get rid of your MAF ), Im actually using a subaru ignitor pack to fire the coil pack. I recently ran a 11.64@123.55mph last month at my local track. I have full controll over the fuel and spark, Im not using it for a FULL standalone yet. You can either build your own MS or have one built.
They are cheap and you have full controll.

Last Thing I read about it is they just decoded the crank wheel so it now reads the 2.0/2.2/2.5 crank sprocket (not sure if all the same or different)

Let me know if you have heard of it and using it or want more info
Im not a dealer just helping out because I might use it on my 94t-leg.
Last edited by 94legacy2.2 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im slow---Location:Colorado

Got squirt? http://www.msextra.com/index.php
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

If you use it on your Legacy please post info about how it works out.
90 L+ wgn
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

That's a fast Neon :shock:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The only thing I have heard about the Megasquirt that can be considered bad is the fact that it is batch fire, not sequential. And even that is debated.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

Im still reading up on it so once I learn more Ill let you guys know.

I know they are working on how it fires. They have MS1 and MS2. I know the MS1 will work but not sure about the MS2.

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Asking for sequential injector triggering in a $300 standalone is asking for alot.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

Im sourcing the megasquirt for my ej22t, and from my research, everything is negotiable. you can use stock sensors, or put different ones on, you can use other coils (I read about one guy using a ford 4dis ignition on an ej20) and you can use other things too, some seem to be using msd coils and the like. I am looking to put mine on with the stock diamond coil running wasted spark and just upgrade a few things. I have a higher cost on mine due to a few other things like broadband o2 sensor and gauges, but it will still be a lot less than any other standalone unit... hope to have mine all set up tested and running soon. (hopefully have the new engine broken in and pushing the boost up a little ways shortly after the first of the year.) will DEFINITELY post repeatedly after I get it all built... probably begging for opinions, suggestions or assistance. :lol:
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

I just finished my megasquirt build, and soon will be installing in my project legacy (turbo)

the build itself was as easy as they say. I bought the kit and did all the soldering of connections and everything, and when it was done, it worked... the directions were pretty detailed, and aside from a couple tiny mistakes due to my own lack of sleep, it was pretty quick. (I put a diode in backwards, and it kept the board from getting voltage, but I flipped it and it works fine now.)

the only thing you really need other than the MS kit (I went MSII) would be a VR board to decode the 6/7 trigger wheel. I am using everything stock from my ej22t, and adding the LSU 4.2 and wideband o2 controller (some use LC-1, but I use the J.A.W.) and an open element IAT sensor. you can find these parts at www.diyautotune.com, and www.14point7.com

it appears that there is a lot of support for Subaru, but there aren't really a lot of success stories yet. most of the megasquirt-ed Subarus that I have found are in other vehicles like VW vans, and sandrails. I am documenting every bit of this project and will be sure to post when I finish successfully. A friend who is helping me with my MS2 is going to do the same with his legacy project (a 97ish 2.5gt) and he will likely document everything at LEAST as well as I am. so if there is a need for any support or any questions about things, I'm sure we could help if you can't find the answers in the forums.
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

WOW thats some good news.

Question, you have a picture of the 6/7 board?

Im still interested in doing the MS but not anytime soon
But When Im ready Im thinking of going with the Microsquirt UNLESS you get it to read the crank and cam

Let me know please

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Unless someone's written a decoder for our cam and crank sensors since the last time I checked, the easiest way to get MegaSquirt to control ignition would probably be to attach an EDIS trigger wheel to the crankshaft pulley and use EDIS.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

vrg3 wrote:Unless someone's written a decoder for our cam and crank sensors since the last time I checked, the easiest way to get MegaSquirt to control ignition would probably be to attach an EDIS trigger wheel to the crankshaft pulley and use EDIS.

That was the last I also heard. BUT when you set the settings to read the crank it has a drop down for the SUBIE 6/7
I think they really dont have anyone to test it out.
I cant do this on my daily driver yet so I havent trid it yet.

Im still waiting to hear from the guy above.

lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

I do not have a picture of the 6/7 board, but its not that complicated, and I KNOW it works. even the jimstim (a stimulator for use building the MS) has simulated 6/7 signal wheel capability.

the ford 4/edis system WILL work, but its a bad way to go. Subaru runs with a well designed system, Id rather have a true Subaru system than a cobbled pile of **** with ford pieces and all that. its bad enough I am a gm IAT sensor for the system.

As I said I am working on finishing my system, and when its done I will post photos of the boards and the harness and everything. the main ms2 is already built, the programming is in for the 6/7 and the board is
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

Right on.. Thansk for the info

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Does the MS still use 12x12 tables? Thats what turned me off to it about two years ago. Its been a while since I've looked into it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

they have upgraded, but you can still use 12x12 if you're lazy or don't care about things being extremely precise...
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

This is looking more and more attractive.
Kickin' it old-school.
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

lunes--- you have any links for the 6/7 board by chance? I'd like to start reading up on it

farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

yes, definitely interesting.

Thanks for pioneering the effort lunes!!

If this is proven to work, and a base map is available it would make a great option for EM for us all. And cheap!

very cool.
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

I was actually thinking about working with a friend of mine to set up a base tune map, and a plug and play connector system to go into the Legacy, and see if I might be able to get enough interest to make a tiny bit of profit assembling the system with plug and play capability...

there are a few issues I am unsure of at this point, but aside from adding a sensor to the intake for the IAT and wiring that to the ecu location, and putting a MAP line from intake to ecu, I am pretty sure I can set it up to just hook up at the stock wiring, and use all the stock hardware with nearly no modifications... of course, things never are as easy as they seem, as most legacy modifying people would probably back me up on. :p

I am definitely not the only person doing this either. I have a friend who is doing a SERIOUS mod to the Megasquirt and putting it into a stock ecu box for his 97 LGT... he is my assistance with all of my crazy ideas, and usually his help is the only reason I can finish projects without injury or damage to property... hopefully anyone thinking about doing this can see our results and have some courage and save some money. this is a cost effective and fun way to learn a LOT about your car that you probably don't know now, and wouldn't ever know if you didn't tinker or read many many manuals and books about engines... I'm a hands on kind of learner, and I am already a hundred times more knowledgeable just because of the MS and the assembly and tuning of it. Can you tell how much I love it? :lol:
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Count me in. I'd be very interested.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

If you made one, I'm in. I already bought a vikash scan tool, and am in line for a hoodscoop that bolts to stock location(also made by a member).
Kickin' it old-school.
94legacy2.2
First Gear

Post by 94legacy2.2 »

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Wow. Looks good. Now about that plug and play for the Legacy.... I'm still interested!
SUBARUEHS Racing
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

what we have been looking at is getting dead ECUs (or ok ones, if thats the only option) that plug into cars, and setting the Megasquirt up inside the stock ECU case, using the stock plug. The first using this type is my friend's 97 2.5 gt, and from there we will work towards other vehicles being added to our "success" list. with a bit of patience and a bit of money, we will develop this for other cars, and if your model is the first of its specific type, we will cut down the cost in exchange for our extra development time. my final assembly is getting really close to complete, and hopefully is less than 2 weeks away. seems like every time I complete 10 steps, 5 more pop up. eventually I will catch up, but small "extras" really slow you down...
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1483173

the guy who is doing this post is the guy I am working with, and this is his first prototype. when we finish this all, we can discuss how we can do this for other vehicles. his specialty is the EJ25 that he has, and mine is the EJ22 and EJ22T, since thats what I have. anything else would be possible, but would take a tiny bit more time and more work.