Added another to the collection. (updates,SIDESWIPED!)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Check this out for possible interest:
(I'll have one installed in my car with the TXS Dtec fuel controller)
TurboXS KnockLite
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
TrueBlue
First Gear

Post by TrueBlue »

Great thread. Jealous of the condition of your car, and I love the new steering wheel. Keep it up. :)
1994 Legacy L AWD 5-sp • 2002 Chrysler 300M Special • 1968 Mustang Fastback C-code
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Was the steering wheel a direct bolt on? Looking at picking one up if I don't steel back the WRX MOMO wheel from my wife's car.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not a 100% bolt on. The horn contacts are different, but not too hard to figure out. If your car is a non-cruise control car, I'm guessing that it would be a straight bolt up.

I can do a write-up if there is demand.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

That's pretty much all I needed to know. I've seen the cruise control adaptation on the RS25 site, so that's not a big deal really. Plus I have a strong background in 12v electronics, so the horn could be taken care of.

Thanks!
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I've been doing alot of 'back and forth' trying to decide what heads to use on a pending engine build. I currently have, in hand, Legacy EJ20G heads, USDM '98 2.5RS EJ25D heads, and (of course) a few sets of EJ22T SOHC heads.

The EJ20G heads have a comparatively large chamber. This would put the compression lower than I am targeting for this build. They are also still factory bolted to what appears to be a very well taken care of, closed deck EJ20G. I kind of hate to seperate them at this point.

The EJ25D heads are not set up for a turbo. It is just a matter of drilling out and tapping exsisting bosses. I would assume that the OEM Impreza 2.5RS cams are not as agressive as JDM turbo cams. (but admittedly not sure).

It's well known here that EJ22T heads can do the job, but need cams and porting. I currently don't know anybody local that I would trust to do the job, but I'm sure a referal is just a post away.

You know what they say about the answer presenting itself? Does Ebay count?

$338. Local so no shipping charges. It's a '93 WRX wagon with the TD04 turbo and an automatic transmission. Factory rated @ ~220hp. Came with engine, transmission, intercooler, bulkhead harness w/ECU, engine harness w/ airbox and AFM, front half-shafts, driveshaft, downpipe, fuelpump and sender.

I only really need the heads, so I'm hoping to recoup my costs by selling the rest.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

If you do decide to seperate the motor & part it out, I'm very interested in the complete intake manifold (w/ IAC, all possible hoses, throttle body, etc.). PLEASE let me know if you do decide to do such. Thanks!
Jason
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Or you can get a set of Delta cams for the 25D heads for ~$90ea.
Or just turn up the boost a little more.
Just saying...
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Its up to $90 now per cam? Last I checked it was $75 for a reground cam from Delta. Dang... :(
Jason
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Cough Cough, Build Journal, Cough Cough
FastRust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

dropdfocus wrote:If you do decide to seperate the motor & part it out, I'm very interested in the complete intake manifold (w/ IAC, all possible hoses, throttle body, etc.). PLEASE let me know if you do decide to do such. Thanks!
I'll keep it in mind. I will most likely sell an EJ20G manifold. I have 3 (one Legacy, but believe it's the same). I just need to make sure there are no small parts or hoses I need. Hold tight a few weeks. ;-)

beatersubi wrote:Or you can get a set of Delta cams for the 25D heads for ~$90ea.
Or just turn up the boost a little more.
Just saying...
$90 * 4 > what I paid for this motor.

94SS_Canada wrote:Cough Cough, Build Journal, Cough Cough
Mods can move this thread if they wish. The 'rules' in the build thread are no replies. I like the replies. :-D
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Thanks! :cool:
Jason
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

PhyrraM wrote:
Mods can move this thread if they wish. The 'rules' in the build thread are no replies. I like the replies. :-D
I believe those rules of changed as when i started my build journal i thought that was absurd but there are replies.
FastRust
advansti
In Neutral

Post by advansti »

Late chime in but great write up of the build!! Wish that I would have been more patient and done the same.
'91 Legacy SS
EJ257, Ph.1 DOHC, TD05-18g, FMIC, PP6, V.8 STi 6spd, H&R coilovers, Spec C control arms... the list goes on.
http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/advansti/

Matt Anderson
Time to ride!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

One of these should be going in this weekend.

Normally, the silver one would be called a V2 STI intercooler. But this one is clearly labeled "Motor Sport Use Only". I wonder if this is a STI catalogue item for the V1 STI or the EJ20G WRX? Either way, I bet it's the same as a 'true' V2 STI intercooler.

The black and silver intercoolers both actually use the same core. The turbo-to-intercooler pipe and the inlet tank are both larger on the silver one. The exit tank and core appear the same on both units.

A TD04 or VF10 will also end up going in to facilitate the intercooler install.

Which would you choose? Why?
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

TD04 because you want to sell the vf-10 to me cheap! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------
Side Note:
BTW, what do the coils plug into to source juice from? I just picked up EJ20G heads w/ the coils. Not sure if they're any good or how to test them out.
Jason
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Doesn't the TD-04 flow more, if only slightly? Also, it prolly has less miles on it.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

dropdfocus wrote:TD04 because you want to sell the vf-10 to me cheap! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------
Side Note:
BTW, what do the coils plug into to source juice from? I just picked up EJ20G heads w/ the coils. Not sure if they're any good or how to test them out.
Things will get sold soon. Just have to settle on a few comprimises.

Coils rarely go bad. If they have plug boots in good condition and you see no traces of arcing or corrosion, then I would say they are good.

You may not even use the coils. If your going to run with the EJ22T ECU then you wil be using the coilpack and wires.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, good to know. I just wasn't sure if there was some way to intergrate the coil over plug design while keeping the 22T computer or not.

I figured the best option would be to swap out to an 20G harness & computer, but that will be a lot of work & cash to get the parts required.
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

There is a way to run a 4 channel ECU with the stock SS wasted spark coil/wires. (search for my "need electronics help" and "4 channel ECU how-to" threads) I haven't yet figured out how to run the 2 channel ECU with the coil-over-plug set-up. (I don't plan to either)

Swapping to a EJ20G harness is most likely not needed or even wanted. A stock first gen Legacy harness is 95% the same as an EJ20G. If your a perfectionist, the easiest thing to do is to pull the 2 ignition circuits from a spare harness. Remove the dash in the recipient car and add those 2 channels into your harness. This give a total of 4 channels to run the EJ20G ECU and the coil-on-plug set-up.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That was a crazy good deal you got on that motor and tranny and all the goodies it came with. I thought I got a good deal on a local JDM EJ20 twin turbo motor with a sliced intake harness, no wiring harness or basically anything else you got with yours for $350.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

kimokalihi wrote:That was a crazy good deal you got on that motor and tranny and all the goodies it came with. I thought I got a good deal on a local JDM EJ20 twin turbo motor with a sliced intake harness, no wiring harness or basically anything else you got with yours for $350.
Thanks, it was a good deal. It was up on Ebay for anybody to grab, but I guess the fact it's from an automatic/wagon kept peeps away. I think that many don't know that mechanically almost all Impreza EJ20Gs are the same. Only the turbo and ECU are different between 220HP wagons and 270(?)HP STIs. And autos have less chance of prior thrust bearing degredation.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Hey, thanks for all that info you provided! The only reason for me asking is that I've been informed & seen it stated that coil over plug is much more efficient & ends up with a stronger spark than the coil pack design offers.
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

dropdfocus wrote:Hey, thanks for all that info you provided! The only reason for me asking is that I've been informed & seen it stated that coil over plug is much more efficient & ends up with a stronger spark than the coil pack design offers.
That may be true. Single coils would give more dwell (charge) time for a given coils size. But consider that Subaru themselves went from the EJ20G coil-on-plug to the EJ20K wasted spark. I can't say why. Cost? Bad coils? Who knows. They did eventually go back to coil-on-plug with the GD/GG cars. Those have the ignitor built into the coil and are a completely different design.

Gut feeling/educated guess...? Unless your well over 300HP any of them is just fine. 8)
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, I'm seriously looking at gunning for 300-350chp. So strong spark is a valid necessity. :twisted:

One question though, with only a few wires going to the coil pack, what regulates the order it fires the spark plugs? I know the ignitor is involved in the mix, but just curious what controls the process for the coil pack vs. the individual coils.
Jason