removal of the blower

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slowjoe
First Gear

removal of the blower

Post by slowjoe »

in my never ending quest to remove all unneccessary weight, i have taken out all the a/c components and now the blower motor. most of the other stuff that you take out of the car like sound insulation and seats and stuff dont really do much as far as your senses are concerned. but after i took out the blower, it actually made a big difference. i knew that it was connected to the vent outside but i had no clue that taking it off would make the air rush in that quick. on cold nights, it is very noticeable. oh and on a side note, removing the evaporator next to the blower leaves a couple holes in the firewall from the absence of hoses. and its kinda noticeable because you can hear your engine a little clearer.
94 AT FWD N/A wagon-gutted daily driver.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you weigh the blower motor assembly? It's maybe 10 lbs. I just don't understand why you would remove something that provides a pretty important function for something as silly (IMO) as a 10 lbs weight reduction.

To each is his own I guess.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

For a race car, fine. But for a street car I can see some situations where at least a functional defroster would be necessary, could be a safety issue.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

All_talk wrote:For a race car, fine. But for a street car I can see some situations where at least a functional defroster would be necessary, could be a safety issue.

Gary
i have seen plenty of race cars end up with foggy windows and a ruined wet/cold race day because either the heater or the fans failed or were removed.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you capped off the opening where the blower used to be, would ram air pressure then have a defrosting effect?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You can cut a potato and wipe it on the windshield for emergency defrosting.

You could (re)make a vent from the outside hole that would run through the original dash defrost vents. A trap door with a simple clothes-pin-like spring could keep the air out when you don't want it and you could use a cable to open it again.

That said, cars utilize flow-through ventilation, requiring a forward source of air. I'm pretty sure these cars are pretty far from being otherwise hermetically sealed at the front, but that's a consideration as well.

Or you could reinstal the blower. These cars are always going to be heavy.

I want a light car so I'm starting with aluminum monocoque and only the single glass panel I need for a road legal windshield. But I'll still have HVAC and a comfy interior.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

haha as a response to josh, i've removed everything else in the car(almost) that doesnt make the car go. well, besides the seats and stuff.
and to gary, i understand and have thought alot about that before removing it. but in the end, there wasnt much left to remove besides the blower. yeah, its a bad habit. but im addicted.
and to vikash, i dont know, i might try it but im not sure what your saying. do you mean the opening near the right side view mirror? on the inside?
and lastly, to evolutionmovement(sorry, dont know your name), i have no air ducts anymore because i have no dash. they are integrated quite a bit.

thank you very much for the feedback. please feel free to say what you want. i will try to answer or respond to your stuff.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I want to see pictures of the empty madness you have lol.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

haha okay, i will try to get them up by the end of this week. i actually have it sitting in the driveway right now waiting to have its front differential fluid changed. and by the way, arent there any other legacys without anything inside?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I mean the opening facing down into the passenger's footwell.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where the air is rushing in now.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

oh yeah, thats the opening right next to the side view mirror. how would you suggest me to cap it off?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

wouldn't you want to make it so that it goes somewhere, instead of damming it off?

you could cap it with plastic probably

make it run back outside of the car or something?

did you think about gasses getting inside the car at all?
or is that something you dont need to worry about. ..
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I guess I'm not visualizing this right. The opening by the side view mirror? You mean the passage that lets defroster air go from the area behind the glove box into the door?

Any chance you could take some pictures?
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Hmmmm.......

What were the part weights of the stuff you got out of your car?

Whats your cars weight now?

I like the whole putting the car on a diet thing too, but I must have AC & the car has to look/function as it did stock for me to remove something.
That said I was able to get 273 lbs (per my garage scale) out of my OBS-T with a mean diet!

I'm too lazy to put the SS on a diet - but after hitting the track recently I may put it on slim-fast too.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I have the list of parts/weight removed from the OBS-T posted here -

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 088#251088
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

i dont know, i didn't weight the stuff when i took it out. i just kept taking stuff out. i guess i could go and have my car weighed, but i dont know where i would get that done. maybe at the dump? i think they have a scale there. perhaps someone in socal could tell me. oh and, about the pictures, would it be okay if i just uploaded them to say, facebook? and then put some links into there? or perhaps there is a legacy group on facebook?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's all I use facebook for. Works fine.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

or the legacy central gallery ;)
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

i finally have pictures up!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

wtf.

are you planning on racing or what?
and is that turbocharged even?
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

i am planning on racing and it is not turbocharged
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ok, how much weight did you lose total?
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

no clue. but i like the look.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

My God....

You even removed the grill??
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

the tabs broke so it wont really stay on. so yeah, i guess i did.