HappyFrog's 1992 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

HappyFrog
First Gear

Re: HappyFrog's 1992 Legacy Turbo

Post by HappyFrog »

Fitted!

Now I just need to cut and grind the bumper and support a whole lot, make some brackets for the core, check that nothing is rubbing against sharp edges, fit the cone filter which should be here tomorrow and THEN she is ready to have her clothes back on... so almost done :D
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Uhm, airfilter arrived today. I'll have to admit it's slighty bigger than expected!
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is that a velocity stack you plan to use?

Also....what's up with the shoes? :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Comparison shot! But he didn't tell us the size of the shoes.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

It's a size 10 :shock:
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

... oooh wait, that's my daughters shoes.
Filter is about 10" tall and 7,5" wide, trumpet narrows to 80mm (and yes, I plan on using it :)).
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Got an idea for the filter install! Just need an 80mm cup drill and then run it straight to the turbo, brilliant!

My brother who is an MOT tester thought it was a really bad idea though, so I tried an underbonnet fit aswell. The coffeecup is too long so will have to figure something out.

Bumper support cut in pieces and fitted. Didn't have to remove the upper support as it seems, so will maybe weld that back on.

Bumper back on, holy smokes I had to remove a lot of plastic!

I need to adjust the core a little, but I'm not sure I will be able to center it completely. It will be painted black though so might not be as visible as it is now.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Todays mod was real tricky, had to unscrew two screws grind a little with a dremel (at least 30 secs, pehaps even 40) and screw everything back together. The outcome was a v7 wrx bov with inverted outlet.

Found an industrial pipe that looks like a perfect replacement for the coffeecup. It's only 10cm long, so it should cure my problem with the airfilter.

Honestly, I did not ask her to put it on!
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Maybe buy a smaller air filter? lol
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Smaller, that word is not in my vocabulary :-D

The industrial pipe worked fine after cutting the hose and trumpet. All I need now is a whole lot of hose clamps and a hose from the bov outlet to the elbow, then it is ready to be fired up. Well, turned on is perhaps more appropiate, the ecu hasn't been replaced and I deleted the maf, so there will be no driving.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Completed the bov install yesterday and fired it up, she started right away.
Will be testing for leaks this weekend and complete the bumper install, then she is ready to be mapped. I also talked to the mapper yesterday and he may have time in week 28... really really really can't wait :smt118

FPR landed today, so all parts are here.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Completed the core install and made som brackets for it. It turned out later on that there was enough room for the headlights, so had to make them from scratch again. Core was centered nicely though and I was really pleased for a few minutes... then I realised the pipe on the left wouldn't fit, so I disassembled everything again, grinded the hell out of the inner fender and refitted everything, finally it worked.

After redoing the brackets I could finally fit bumper, headlights and grill. Still have a little work to do, but overall it looks like a car again. The fog lights don't fit, they are way too long so I might disassemble them and see if can shorten them. Either that or I will insert some tubing and feed cold air to the brakes instead.

Also completed the bov and changed the filter install a bit. After correcting the ic core, the hot pipe was raised a bit and suddenly there wasn't room for the filter anymore. Shortened everything a bit and it works again.
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I noticed you have the JDM GC coolant overflow bottle. Where did you get it? How much?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

It came with the car. It's same on 99/00 imprezas btw.
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, cool. Thanks I would like to relocate mine somewhere hidden away. Free up some more space in the engine bay. Clean it up, you know. Just gotta figure out where. I just used that spot for my wiper fluid bottle. Maybe the other fender? lol gotta take it off anyway to install the fender brace. Don't have to but it might be easier I dunno.

Your car is looking good! Luckily I didn't have your wiper fluid bottle, looks huge. It wouldn't have fit in the fender.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

That filler pipe in front of the batteri goes to a coolant reservoir inside the right fender and I thought about trying to relocate it to the left fender and use another one for the wiper fluid. I'd love to get rid of the giant wiper reservoir.
I've also thought about deleting the ac, but since it was 30C yesterday I decided to think some more about it :D
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

30C eh, I have no idea what that is in F. OK, I googled it 86F. Yeah that's pretty warm, not crazy but warm enough for AC I suppose. I'd probably just roll the windows down and call it a day. You're lucky, I had to remove my AC compressor with this motor swap because the compressor had the wrong hookup for my legacy hose and the legacy compressor wouldn't fit the bracket. Actually maybe I could have used the bracket and alternator bracket off my EJ22T...damnit. Oh well, I'll probably just remove it completely.

Now I'm gonna go check NASIOC for a coolant reservoir from a GC. Are you sure it's not EDM and JDM cars that have that reservoir and not USDM imprezas? I was told it's a JDM part (EDM same thing).
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Dunno, but all edm cars from 99 and forward seem to have them.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

If you can't source them in US, you can try http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/ for a secondhand reservoir.
There are several subaru breakers in UK, but I've dealt with japperformance a couple of times myself and can easily recommend them.
Now being parted out
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Replaced the front rotors and pads yesterday afternoon and evening. I wasn't sure the calipers would survive, but eventually I was able to take them apart with a whole lot of help from my brother. Large chunks of material was broken off the pads and the sliders were rusty and just barely moveable, no wonder it had problems stopping.
Everything is good now though, they could have used a complete renovation, but I've got some 4 pots at the attic I'd prefer to renovate instead.

Anyways, the car is off for new ecu and mapping this evening! Needless to say, but I'm feeling like this :smt026
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Awesome. I know how you feel. I can't wait to put my ECU in and see how different it runs. I only get up to maybe 5k right now and I hit boost cut at 13 lbs. My brakes actually work decent which is quite surprising considering how rusty they are and how this car has sat for like 5 years.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

If everything is alright (and I didn't mess anything up trying to find the timing problem) it will be done by next weekend... this will be the longest week ever.

Off it goes on a wee bit short trailer. The Patrol is running on vegetable oil :-)
Now being parted out
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My car has been sitting in the garage for 4 years and I just had to move it in and out so a new garage door could be put on. Still has air in the tires and pulling it out with my Mazda freed up the brakes so I could push it back in (with a slight incline and, no, I'm not a big dude). I had a GL that sat outside for about a year without issue either. The old Subarus sit amazingly well.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is that a land rover? It looks badass. So does the legacy, of course. That building with the curved roof looks pretty nice as well lol.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

It's a Nissan Patrol 2.8L Turbo Diesel from 89 iirc. The shell was completely stripped and renovated during the winter. The engine isn't too well, so we planned as late as yesterday that we will pull it next week.
The curved building is his garage, must be at least 2000 sq ft. The building to left is his work shop, with another 1500 sq ft and a 4 point lift. He has got a bunch of toys :-)
Now being parted out