Removing drivers side head

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Removing drivers side head

Post by scottzg »

Hi guys, I'm doing the head gaskets on my old legacy. I've heard that you can pop the heads off without moving the engine, but i'm stumped on how to do it on the drivers side head. I've got all the head bolts out except for the bottommost rear one, which doesn't seem to clear the frame rail. I'd appreciate some insight!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: Removing drivers side head

Post by skid542 »

It can be done. It's very tight but you can replace both HG's with the motor in the car - I personally have.

The bolt will not come all the way out of the head because it hits the frame rail. But it should slide out enough to dissengage the threads/bore in the block. IIRC, most of the lower bolts do this except maybe the forward-most.

I found a couple small spring clamps on the bolts would keep them from sliding back into the hole and made the whole process much easier as the head does come out with the bolts still in head. This is particularly helpful when you go to install the head back on and are titlting/rotating it to position and install it.

I may have also removed the rocker assembly for a little extra clearance but can't remember for certain on that one.

Hope this helps. It is tight and frustrating but it definately can be done.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Removing drivers side head

Post by scottzg »

Ah, thanks, i got to fixing it before you replied. I undid the motor mounts and jacked the engine up about 1.5" to pull the head. I'd imagine that it's easier to do that way- it popped right out once i got over having to remove 2 more nuts.
Thanks!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]