Love my Legacy but....

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robman55
In Neutral

Love my Legacy but....

Post by robman55 »

Ok so I'm new to this forum. Name's Rob. I was apart of another subaru legacy forum but they were all about the new GTs and well I dont have one. Anyway I drive a 1993 Legacy L. I'm not sure if this was where i should post this but it seemed best ant the time. What I want to know is what can i do to tune this car without turboing it (Dont have the money yet...) I understand just upgrading components normally does the job but can someone tell me what worked well for them? and what about NOS? Basically I dont ever want to get beat by a rice-burning V-crap Civic. Thanks for the help.
silver03
First Gear

Re: Love my Legacy but....

Post by silver03 »

your options are very very limited...enjoy the slowness and focus on handling upgrades.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You shouldn't have that much trouble with Hondas anyway. Just blow them away off the line then back off and lean back.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Do some searching and you'll find a some answers. I have a N/A which only has boltons and it will for sure beat hondas. I haven't put to much money into it and I am very pleased with the car.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Handling upgrades are the best route until you can swap in a turbo motor for more power.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
robman55
In Neutral

Post by robman55 »

Haha thanks guys. I dont think the hondas will give me much trouble. Ill have to look in to handling upgrades plus some of the bolt on stuff. Thanks for the help!
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I have a 90 legacy fwd auto thats all stock besides a k&n drop filter and a rusted out muffler, i smoke hondas all day long. Start with the basics and let it breathe better.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Slap in a close ratio 4.44 transmission! That'll show 'em.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

to be honest though i would first work on anything that is leaking (sunroof, oil, tranny, etc.) or overheating. replace all your fluids if they havent been done. from there fix anything like windshied if its cracked, new tires and brakes for safety. then clean your car and your ready to start modding.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

For the record, I've beaten a Hyundai Tiburon gt v6 with my '93 L auto and, at the time, all I had done was a/c belt removed and I think I had the fender air box out. Thats all I had done and I was able to pull away from him. I've only been beat by a Honda once, a red Prelude that had to be boosted or something cause I had him from the line then he just flew past like I was standing still... Nice clean car though so I have respect for him. The legacy is much faster than you would think, I've gone atleast 125 mph and that on the high mileage motor and drivetrain. Remember, most Hondas have 1.4-1.8 liter motors while the legacy has a 2.2 liter. That motor size difference is a huge advantage for us legacy drivers. Just focus on handling like everyone else has said, it can make even more of a difference then more power from the motor.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Danny-G wrote:For the record, I've beaten a Hyundai Tiburon gt v6 with my '93 L auto and, at the time, all I had done was a/c belt removed and I think I had the fender air box out. Thats all I had done and I was able to pull away from him. I've only been beat by a Honda once, a red Prelude that had to be boosted or something cause I had him from the line then he just flew past like I was standing still... Nice clean car though so I have respect for him. The legacy is much faster than you would think, I've gone atleast 125 mph and that on the high mileage motor and drivetrain. Remember, most Hondas have 1.4-1.8 liter motors while the legacy has a 2.2 liter. That motor size difference is a huge advantage for us legacy drivers. Just focus on handling like everyone else has said, it can make even more of a difference then more power from the motor.

But they do have a somewhat decent weight advantage on us.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

but we have the torque advantage ;)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4