coolant system

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Opaphis
In Neutral

coolant system

Post by Opaphis »

How do I go about upgrading my cars coolant system? I have a 94 legacy l. It was overheating and after I have the heads tested, put new gaskets, etc. I want to put a performance coolant system in it if possible. Any info, advice you might have thanks in advance.
silver03
First Gear

Re: coolant system

Post by silver03 »

Do you have an OEM t stat in there? If not, I would put one in to start with.
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

If the car is close to stock, and its has a good working factory cooling system, it should cool the car fine!

If your looking to go above and beyond i would possibly start with a thicker radiator.
1992 Legacy Sport
Opaphis
In Neutral

Post by Opaphis »

Yeah it should be OEM, i want to put in a Koyo, but im wondering if there are any after market parts as far as the overflow and pressure box and such go. I just want to find as much information on similar projects, if there is any.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You shouldnt need any beter cooling unless youre doing serious racing. The oem system works quite well. If its overheating you probably have air in the system or a buildup of debris somewhere.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

kimokalihi wrote:You shouldnt need any beter cooling unless youre doing serious racing. The oem system works quite well. If its overheating you probably have air in the system or a buildup of debris somewhere.
Or the fans aren't working. Happened to me once.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh yeah that happens a lot too but it's never caused overheating for me in washington weather. It's always turned out to be loose or dirty fan connectors. Shove them together real hard or clean them with some MAF cleaner or brake cleaner. To see if they're functioning take the car for a nice hard drive and then park it for 5 mins or so and see if the fans come on. They should be on already if you've been driving it but give it a few mins if they're not on just in case. Also sometimes one comes on and the other doesn't. I think that's normal if both fans aren't needed for the temp level but it could be a bad connection again.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Opaphis
In Neutral

Post by Opaphis »

I didn't say it was overheating. Thanks for the input though.... so the only aftermarket part made for these are the radiators?
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I know svx owners have put the thermostat on the top hose with a universal housing that is supposed the keep things cooler as the eg33 is prone to overheating issues when upping the performance. Also, there are aluminum plates you can buy for the top of the core support that is supposed to keep air flow directed more towards the radiator but i've never seen them for our cars. You might be able to make an impreza one work or have one custom made. These are things i've read about but never used so can't say for sure how much they actually help.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

For the non-turbo cars, there's very little if any aftermarket parts available. The larger Koyo radiators are typically only for the turbo cars. The turbo cars have a slightly taller radiator compared to the non-turbo cars. The non-turbo cars have a single row radiator.

I did some research a couple years back and I believe the early 2.5 Legacies/Outbacks 95-96 era had the same radiator dimensions as the first gen non-turbo Legacy, but were two-row radiators. I was going to upgrade to one of those radiators but never bothered since the stock cooling system was working fine.

Mind you, I am in Houston, TX so it's hot as a mother in the Summer. One thing I do add is Redline Water Wetter to the cooling system. It helps improve heat transfer. Other than that, I run a stock 50/50 distilled water & antifreeze mix.

I have a small coolant leak somewhere around my radiator. I'm not sure where it is, but I may be replacing my radiator sooner than I thought if I have a leak. If I do replace it, I'll go with the two-row and let everyone know that it indeed works.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm