93 L trans slipping in all gears

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tsbpenguin
First Gear

93 L trans slipping in all gears

Post by tsbpenguin »

Hi all,
Bought a 93 Legacy L AWD with ~165k
Rebuilt the top end and the car was running perfectly, power like it was brand new.
Then i started experiencing slipping when shifting between 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd. From there it continued to get worse until it was slipping in all gears. Now the car will barely drive, the engine just revs up, and the tranny feels like it is barely catching at certain rpms.

clutches? valve body? torque converter? any ideas are appreciated
In between Subies
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Re: 93 L trans slipping in all gears

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

MY 94 slips when i get on it in any gear. like driving on the highway say 4th gear then roll on the throttle it slips all sound and no go. i know my clutch is bad. sound like your is smoked too. so i just drive like a granny till i cant clutch it.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

guess i should have specified, 4eat automatic
In between Subies
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

oh way off. ha not an expert on autos. but theres some guys on here that do.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's probably a combination of clutches and valve body. Without disassembling the trans, it's hard to say for sure. If you can find a used trans, I'd suggest going that route, as it will likely be cheaper than trying to rebuild your current one. The final drive ratio in your 93 L is 3.9 if you decide to go with another trans.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

Any tips for pulling a trans on jack stands in a garage? Easier to drop the engine/subframe/trans together then separate, or just pull the trans independently?
In between Subies
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's going to suck no matter what you do, but if you don't mind doing the engine, subframe, & trans, that will likely make it easier....just more stuff you'll have to take apart.

I wrestled getting the 4eat out of my car when I did my swap. Another good thing about doing it out of the car would be that you should have less of a chance messing up the torque converter input shaft if you do reuse this trans and/or mating a new trans to the existing engine and making sure the torque converter is fully seated.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

Thanks for the info and advise. I will probably rig up my electronic engine hoist to make the whole process easier. I just bought a 90 legacy awd with a couple bad cv's, rear strut issue, and in need of a tune up for $325 on craigslist. I am going to swap the driveline from the 90 into the 93 because I recently rebuilt the top end of the engine, and the body & interior are in much better condition. I'm assuming I will need to use the rear diff from the 90 because of the 4.11 FDR as opposed to the 3.9. Any other complications i might run into? Wiring & tranny computer the same?
In between Subies
scuba steve
First Gear

Post by scuba steve »

tsbpenguin wrote:Thanks for the info and advise. I will probably rig up my electronic engine hoist to make the whole process easier. I just bought a 90 legacy awd with a couple bad cv's, rear strut issue, and in need of a tune up for $325 on craigslist. I am going to swap the driveline from the 90 into the 93 because I recently rebuilt the top end of the engine, and the body & interior are in much better condition. I'm assuming I will need to use the rear diff from the 90 because of the 4.11 FDR as opposed to the 3.9. Any other complications i might run into? Wiring & tranny computer the same?

The only real difference between the two drivetrains is the FDR. Everthing else should be just plug and play. It sure is nice having two of everything.
99 Outback Limited 30th Anniv. White/Sandstone
Riding on WRX Suspension and 17" Neon SRT4 rims
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

For sure, this is my first time having a full donor car. Definitely looking forward to it.
In between Subies
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

anyone know of any good write ups for pulling the tranny or tranny & engine?
In between Subies
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99- ... hread.html

A few tips on the way I like to do things:

-Soak bolts/nuts in penatratin oil (especially exhaust)
-Leave A/C and power steering lines connected (simply unbolt systems from their mounts and move aside)
-Take off exhaust to help make room to get to bolts underneath the vehicle
-Wait to drain coolant, take off fuel lines, or drain any oil until the very end (I always spill and then not only do I have fluids dripping on me I'm sticking my elbow's in them)
-When pulling axles take wheel off and remove the two bolts from the bottom of the suspension (make sure to keep track of which way the allignment bolt is facing to help keep the allingment straight when you put it back together) With the suspension unbolted it helps more when putting axles back on and lining up the pin hole.
-Transmissions drip everywhere when pulled out the top. I zip tied a plastic bag to the end of mine to catch the fluid. Once your transmission hits that 45 degree angle you'll know what I mean.

Make sure to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate BEFORE you pull the engine. I couldn't once because the engine was seized. i removed it still bolted to the flexplate and it still works fine, but that's not always the outcome.

Also, do your research about seating the torque converter, it's crucial to get it all the way in. Takes a lot of spinning, turning, and gentle pivoting. But no swear words, take your time. Save your swear words for installing the engine... you'll need them.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Last edited by subydaddy on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
04 Impreza WRX Sedan - Sold
06 Impreza 2.5i Wagon - Sold
92 Legacy SS Sedan - Sold
94 Legacy L Wagon
02 Rendezvous CXL
91 Legacy L Sedan FWD
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

That's a solid writeup on pulling the engine, but doesn't really tell me anything about pulling the tranny.
In between Subies
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237- ... moval.html

Another good thread on removing the engine.

Google doesn't give much about the transmission, here's a short write up but no picture's. I'm a picture guy myself so I don't consider this a good wirte up. But there really isn't much to it once the engine is out.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t105730-t ... tions.html

Lots of good pics and info here thanks to Legacy777

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/pictures.html
04 Impreza WRX Sedan - Sold
06 Impreza 2.5i Wagon - Sold
92 Legacy SS Sedan - Sold
94 Legacy L Wagon
02 Rendezvous CXL
91 Legacy L Sedan FWD
tsbpenguin
First Gear