EJ20G heads on an EJ22T

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drewriviera
First Gear

EJ20G heads on an EJ22T

Post by drewriviera »

I was looking at putting my 91 Liberty RS EJ20G heads on my EJ22T block. I know that it drops the compression quite a bit (from the compression chart on the website) Is it easy to get compression out of these heads by shaving them? I know some heads are easier to get a point or two out of than others. I am about to have the engine out and would rather not dive into the short block if possible. I thought I saw where someone had put these heads on without doing anything else to them and I thought they got a power increase, but I could be wrong...could anyone that has actually done this swap tell me? I also would think you would have to get adjustable cam gears to degree in the cams after doing this.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: EJ20G heads on an EJ22T

Post by PhyrraM »

There were posts many years ago about this swap. Yes, the compression would be really low. Some posters said that it was hardly noticeable. I, personally, would try it - all you lose is time and a set of head gaskets.

If the engine is being rebuilt, a set of custom pistons would put your compression anywhere you want. If the motor is not being rebuilt, a swap/trade for an EJ257 shortblock would yield both more power and a better compression ratio.

Yes, shaving the heads would move the cam timing. It would move it 3 times as far on the left bank - leaving a 'unbalanced' motor.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I did the swap with 20H heads, stock pistons oem gaskets, I honestly feel like I have no off boost power at all.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

These would help. Depending on how much the heads have been shaved, you still may not get everything back in alignment.

http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/566
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm