Zach's 95 Impreza EJ22t swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Re: Zach's 95 Impreza EJ22t swap

Post by BoostedSubie »

Yeah, I had thought about swapping it with someone else's Robtune, I just don't know anyone in the area with one. Everyone I know in our local Subaru club owns newer WRXs and STis. I haven't emailed Rob yet because I want to get some accurate wideband readings before I send it off.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I rewired the wideband today, moved the grounds to the engine block like Innovate suggests all soldered to one lug also. I re-calibrated it as well, no change though, still runs super lean when you start to approach boost. When you cold start it, it reads in the 17s but after it warms up at idle, it reads good in the 14s, but as you get closer to boost it leans out to 16. I have just barely got into boost once just to see what it would do. I don't have any exhaust on after the downpipe because I need to drive it 20 miles to my buddy's shop to have it made, and I can't drive it if it's running like this. The wideband O2 is about 12-16in away from the end of the downpipe so it is possible that is throwing off the wideband readings.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Yesterday I brought my car into my work to do a leak down test to make sure the engine was in good shape. It all tested great, 10% or less on all cylinders. When I pulled out the plugs to do the leakdown, I noticed that the plugs for cylinders 1 and 2 looked brand new still and 3 and 4 had the normal deposits on them. I just replaced them a couple weeks ago and had only driven the car maybe a total of a couple miles. So, I figured 1 and 2 weren't firing since they were so clean like they had never been fired. So, when I got it home, I did a spark test on all 4 and sure enough 1 and 2 weren't firing. Then it clicked, it had to be the ignition converter. It was only firing one ignition channel. So, I took out the ignition converter and put the ignition wiring back to stock. It fixed the problem I have been trying to figure out for a month now. It runs amazing now and pulls hard. After all the sensors I checked/replaced, all the other diagnosing I did, it was the smallest thing that was wrong, and I skipped one of the simplest diagnostics, a spark test. I felt like an idiot but oh well. I just assumed everything in the ignition system was brand new, the car ran and drove smooth. No shaking, or miss feeling. Live and Learn I guess. Now, I have to put all the stuff back on I took off while trying to figure out what was wrong and get a new ignition converter before I can put the Robtune ECU back in. Pretty stoked though, I will actually get it all ready for WCSS.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I have been driving the Impreza with the Robtune ECU back in it. The car is awesome to drive. The first couple days of driving it were fun, just getting used to it. I raced a buddys 07 WRX, which has the "Stage 2" Cobb tune and a bunch of other stuff and beat him through every gear. After driving it for over a month now, I am left wanting more. So, in comes the big stuff. I have an extra EJ22t that I will be rebuilding. Thanks to a fellow member, I now have Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods ready to take some big boost from an HX35 twinscroll that I bought from a friend for cheap. My buddy will be building me a custom front mount turbo manifold, that will position the turbo in the front bumper. I have a lot of heads stashed to choose from, EJ20H, EJ205, 96 EJ25D 50cc HLA, EJ255(AVCS),98 EJ25D, EJ251, so I'll have to decide on the best ones to use. I already have a Megasquirt 2 setup if I don't end up getting a better standalone, it will work just fine.

Last edited by BoostedSubie on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Pic no worky.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Sorry, I fixed it Josh
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Here is a pic from the Subaru cruise that our local club went on last weekend. I don't normally go on these things cuz I'm not exactly a people person. When I say that, I mean I can't stand all the pompous asses that have brand new STIs that think they are the shit and don't even know whats under their hood or how to drive it. But I could not pass up the chance to show my car off and what it could do. I had a lot of fun out driving most of them, haha.

93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
ACVWguy
In Neutral

Post by ACVWguy »

I'm almost positive I bought my rs 6 spokes from the guy who drives that 04 WRX wagon. And does that slammed forester have rattle canned white wheels?
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Nm wrong reply!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

No, the Forester has black Varrstoen wheels, car looks great but scrapes everywhere it goes.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

So, I'm building another engine for the Impreza as I want more power and I blew a head gasket a month ago. I will be rebuilding one of my EJ22ts with those forged internals but that won't be ready till Spring. Until then, figured I'd test some limits. Everything used to build this engine is from parts I have in my massive collection of Subaru stuff collected over the past 4 or 5 years. I'm going to use a low mileage EJ22e with some 96 EJ25D HLA heads. Using the EJ22t head gaskets, it should be around 8.5-8.6 compression because the 96 EJ25d heads had a larger chamber than the 97-99 EJ25d. Most figures I could find put the combustion chamber at 51cc. I'm having the heads rebuilt this week along with having the oil return port tapped and threaded. I plan on using a set of EJ20h cams and intake manifold with them. I'm going to use a WRX EJ205 water pump so I can run the oil cooler. I'll still run the TD05, STI injectors, and Robunted ECU on this engine as well. I'm also going to rotate the intake manifold and run the FMIC again. Also, I had wondered if it is possible to convert these HLA heads to use the 97-99 solid lifters? I haven't visually compared them but I assume the valves are different lengths but if I swapped in the valves, springs, shimmed buckets, etc over from a 97-99, I would assume it would work.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The 96 bucket is physically bigger, larger diameter, the 97-99 would have way to much room to move around.
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Damn, that sucks but at least that answers my question, Thanks.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'm in the process of doing a partial rebuild on 3 different motors at the moment, the EJ22t from my Impreza, the Ej22e/Ej25d hybrid turbo, and an EJ22e. By partial, I mean everything being replaced except the bearings and rings. I bought full gasket kits for all 3 engines so they will be set for awhile. I also had the heads done for all 3. I have a pretty good deal with a buddy of mine who owns a head machine shop, he does all my work, and it is great craftsmanship. Right now the EJ22t is my priority to get the Impreza back on the road ASAP. I should have in back in the car up and running this weekend. Right now, it's in my kitchen on a stand so I could clean everything and start reassembling.

The EJ22e/25d was eventually intended to go into the Impreza sometime late winter or early spring but I'm also starting a EJ22T/25d once I get my tax return that my Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods are going into. So, I will probably wait till I'm done building that engine and it will go into the Impreza. That will leave the EJ22e/25d to either be put in my 98 RHD Legacy or my 93 Legacy. Either way, 3 of my Subarus will all be turboed and fun little rides.

One issue that I was wondering about while reassembling the EJ22t is the oil pan. The one on it is dented up pretty bad and has always had a slight leak from the drain plug due to it being somewhat out of round from the dents. So, I'm going to put a different oil pan back on it. I was looking through my collection and I have 3 different styles. The EJ22t which seems to have 2 different baffles, an upper and lower.

Then a late 90s EJ25 which only has the upper baffle, bad picture due to the surface rust from sitting in a shed for awhile.

Then the last is a mid-late 00s 2.5 which has the cutout for manifold clearance, I don't have a pic of this one at the moment.
I'm wondering which if any of these styles are the better of the bunch. The newer one with the cutout may not be an option right now because I believe you need the corresponding pick up tube which I do have...somewhere, but can't find at the moment. While we're on the subject, anyone know if any of the windage trays are superior throughout the years. I remember reading that the STI oil pans and windage trays were better but that's not really available to me right now. Everything else, I have access to.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The older pan typically only had one baffle at to the top. The newer pan I bought when I did my rebuild had the two baffles. I had some fitment issues and had to bend some of the baffling to clear the intake tube.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/15

The dual baffles should be better to keep the oil from sloshing around as much.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Oh really? I found the single baffle on a 98 Forester and a late 90s Legacy at work and only found the dual baffle on the older Legacys. I ended up buying a new dual baffle square pan from Summit, when it showed up the return pipe that mates to the block was bent, and didn't match up right. So I ended up using a dual baffle tank I already had. Why is it they all seem to have a rust-like residue in them as soon as you clean out the oil with Brake Clean? That pic I posted above was really bad but they all seem to have some of the same stuff.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Could you wipe that rust residue off? I don't recall mine having that on it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Some of it would wipe off but i had to take a brass brush to it to get it off. It wasn't thick or anything but in some spots, I ended up taking the paint off the pan. I think I'm gonna take the couple pans I have and have my buddy sand/media blast them, then paint them.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon