95 M/T identifier pin

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Baddog
Second Gear

95 M/T identifier pin

Post by Baddog »

So from all the information I have gathered the 95 ECU on both the Impreza and Legacy (OBDII) are completely different than the 96-99 ECU's and the 90-94 (I figured on the OBD1 ECU's they would be).

I have done a 5 speed swap on my 96 Legacy with no wiring issues. Reverse, Neutral and M/T pin out (pin 81).

However I cannot for the life of me figure out which pin on the 95 ECU's need to be ground out. My buddys 95 Legacy and Girlfriends 95 Impreza both have 5 speed swaps from me. But I cannot find any solid information. I read it was pin 50 on those ECU's. Grounded it out and the CEL stays off but the cars both idle really badly.

Has anyone does this or could help me out?
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Re: 95 M/T identifier pin

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

In my 1995 Legacy service manual you are correct.
MT selector
ecu connector B84 pin 50 connects to B22 (16 pin light grey plug) pin 15 its a black/white wire.
that grounds in the engine bay.
IAC ground wire is yellow/red

In my Impreza service manual
MT selector
ecu connector B44 (green) pin 17 connects to B4 (16 pin grey) pin 16 its a black/red wire
this also grounds in the engine bay.
IAC ground wire is black/white

both cars use a shared grounding point that the idle air control is looped into. I suspect that the ground for the idle air control is too weak. I would add/tap in an additional grounding point for the IAC to solve the poor idle
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/