Any Write-Ups on Installing 4EAT Filter Kit?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

URAnooBUS
In Neutral

Any Write-Ups on Installing 4EAT Filter Kit?

Post by URAnooBUS »

Ive been interested in installing a filter kit since I need to change the fluid anyways. Has anyone done this? Good experience or bad?

This is one of the kits I see for sale: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1269558

All help is appreciated (even if its a harsh warning lol)
1992 Legacy LS EJ22 N/A
4EAT (in want of a 5MT)
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Re: Any Write-Ups on Installing 4EAT Filter Kit?

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

If you do consider buying go with the kit design for our models. It comes with the mounting hardware, hoses and filter for under $20. Josh's link below has the part number and photo.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

its super easy. drain/remove pan, unbolt all bolts holding the filter in, unbolt crossover pipe in front of filter to allow filter to be removed. install new filter with o ring, install crossover pipe, tighten bolts, install pan and fill with 4qts atf. takes about 20 minutes.
i recently did my girls filter on her TW cause it got so clogged with clutch silt the trans stopped working lol
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Just to clarify, Mike is speaking of the internal screen/filter - which is also a good idea if the car has some miles on it. (I do NOT recommend ever doing a chemical/power flush on an older Subie trans....I lost Reverse on mine!)

The filter kit URAnooBUS is asking about is external only and installs along the frame rails next to the driver's side cylinder head.

I'd also get the kit from Subaru...it's cheaper to get the entire kit - includes plenty of transmission line hose - than just the filter.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
URAnooBUS
In Neutral

Post by URAnooBUS »

MikeyMeyagi wrote:its super easy. drain/remove pan, unbolt all bolts holding the filter in, unbolt crossover pipe in front of filter to allow filter to be removed. install new filter with o ring, install crossover pipe, tighten bolts, install pan and fill with 4qts atf. takes about 20 minutes.
i recently did my girls filter on her TW cause it got so clogged with clutch silt the trans stopped working lol
Thank you for the instructions. I want to do that as well, I got 216k on my legacy
1992 Legacy LS EJ22 N/A
4EAT (in want of a 5MT)
URAnooBUS
In Neutral

Post by URAnooBUS »

wtdash wrote:Hi,
Just to clarify, Mike is speaking of the internal screen/filter - which is also a good idea if the car has some miles on it. (I do NOT recommend ever doing a chemical/power flush on an older Subie trans....I lost Reverse on mine!)

The filter kit URAnooBUS is asking about is external only and installs along the frame rails next to the driver's side cylinder head.

I'd also get the kit from Subaru...it's cheaper to get the entire kit - includes plenty of transmission line hose - than just the filter.

GL,
TD

Thanks a ton, thats what i was looking for. I will take a look at Subarus kit. Trying to extend the life on my tranny. If it ever goes out, i wann swat to a 5mt. But thats $$$ i dont have haha
1992 Legacy LS EJ22 N/A
4EAT (in want of a 5MT)
URAnooBUS
In Neutral

Post by URAnooBUS »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:If you do consider buying go with the kit design for our models. It comes with the mounting hardware, hoses and filter for under $20. Josh's link below has the part number and photo.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html
Thanks man for the link, came in handy. Im gonna check today to see if someone already installed one. (i doubt it tho. previous owners did not care about the car)
1992 Legacy LS EJ22 N/A
4EAT (in want of a 5MT)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

You should also install an aux. trans cooler..it'll do more than anything to keep your tranny alive...heat is the killer.

Edit:...ESPECIALLY in FL! (except for this winter! BRRR!)
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
URAnooBUS
In Neutral

Post by URAnooBUS »

wtdash wrote:You should also install an aux. trans cooler..it'll do more than anything to keep your tranny alive...heat is the killer.

Edit:...ESPECIALLY in FL! (except for this winter! BRRR!)
TD
haha yea its crazy down here. bipolar weather...

Where would i get an aux cooler kit? any good writeups on installation?
1992 Legacy LS EJ22 N/A
4EAT (in want of a 5MT)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Google found this: http://subaru.rockhopjohn.com/Transcool.pdf

I think B&M makes a good kit...can't find the link ATM.

Like THIS would work for <$60.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

URAnooBUS wrote:Ive been interested in installing a filter kit since I need to change the fluid anyways. Has anyone done this? Good experience or bad?
No experience about the filter. Bad experience with complete fluid exchange. You can't get all the fluid out in most automatic transmission, so to replace most of it, you have to do a running exchange (pulling new fluid at fluid suction line until the return fluid runs clear) or drain and fill 3 times.

If I was getting 50% out with each drain, that got me to almost 90% new fluid. The fluid was correct but my tranny started slipping like hell. I thought I FUBAR'd it. I added Lucas Slip stop additive and it saved my ass, but I'm not doing it again.

It's well established that replacing very old ATF often leads to trouble. I wager that old fluid is already saturated (dissolved as much as it can old) and won't dissolve further stuff whereas new fluid starts dissolving crud, swelling clutch bands and such.