If you haven't done a ball joint, here's one simple method..

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MrTodd
First Gear

If you haven't done a ball joint, here's one simple method..

Post by MrTodd »

Hey everyone. So today I replaced both front ball joints, along with both inner and outer tie rods. I figured I'd post this on here for the people who haven't actually done this job quite yet, so they can at least get a basic idea of what's involved with it. In this thread I'm really only going to focus on the ball joints, as they are unique when it comes to Subaru's. The tie rods, on the other hand, are pretty much exactly the same as other cars I've worked on, so there's nothing really special there. Anyway, in addition to my pics, I've got a video showing one specific method I like to use to separate the joint from the LCA. Some people probably already do something like that, or have another preferred method - which is great! I'm not trying to step on toes, rather, I'm just showing another way to go about things. :)

So, to get started, obviously remove your wheel. As you can see below, my control arm and balljoint hardware is stupid rusted, so it can be tough to work through things. Anyway, first spray things down with your choice of rusty hardware penetrating oil. Next, unbolt the sway bar from the LCA - you want to do this so the suspension can articulate independently of the other side. Now, remove the pin from the balljoint castle nut, then LOOSEN the nut itself (don't remove it just yet).

(you may need to get creative to get the pin out if it's rusted as bad as mine. I used a hammer while squeezing with needle nose pliers. gently tap on the pliers to try and pop it forward)

(Lastly, break that nut loose and loosen it. You don't have to remove it just yet.)

Now comes to actually separating the balljoint from the control arm. You have a few ways of going about this, you could pound on the sides of the control arm itself where it meets up with the ball joint, you can use a balljoint separator tool, or you can use something like a pickling fork and pound the shit out of it with a hammer. There may be other ways as well, but this is how I usually do it.

I made a video: http://youtu.be/1PuAfrslkvY

Next up, you want to separate the balljoint from the knuckle/spindle. This can either be super easy, or a huge pain in the ass. The good thing is, you can still use the above method I show in the video to separate it. Just make sure you remove the pinch bolt first, and re-tighten your castle nut (doesn't have to be very tight).

(pinch bolt removed)

(using the method I showed above in the video, the balljoint is now separated)

(now, either tap it side to side with a hammer, or just use a pickling fork to bring it down further until it's out)

Installation is essentially reverse of removal. First, clean out the receptor in which the ball joint fits in. Next, apply a thin layer of grease or anti-seize on the mating surface. Now, put the balljoint in. It may go all the way in with just your hands, or you may have to give it a few love taps with the hammer to get it up in there (be gentle if you use a hammer!!!). Once it is fully seated, put in your pinch bolt. You may have to keep holding it up in order to get the pinch bolt in (like I had to). Once your pinch bolt is in, torque it down to spec (I think it was something like 31 to 43 ft-lbs?). Once that's in, slide your LCA back on, put on the castle nut, torque it down, and put in your pin.

And lastly, here you can see my new tie rod (inner + outer, plus new bellows) I put in. I also included a picture of the old hardware I replaced. The steering feels substantially better! Also, I'm not hearing any more knocking/clunking in the suspension area. Excellent.

I hope this helps someone out who's looking to replace their ball joint(s)! Thanks for reading/watching.
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: If you haven't done a ball joint, here's one simple meth

Post by MConte05 »

Great writeup. I'm sure plenty will find it useful!

Just about to do the same thing on my rally car. Full replacement of inner/outer tie-rods, bellows, and ball joints. As well as new axles. STPR did a number on my front end!
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

Thanks for the response! Hope all goes well on the rally car!
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

I know this will help out someone. Nice write-up. Good to see its basically the same process for the newer gens of Legacy's as well (at least on my 08).

Which brand did you end up going with for the replacements?
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
Reuben
First Gear

Post by Reuben »

That trick in the vid is GOLD, thanks a bunch! I sure wish I knew that one when I swapped my arms the the GTB, they were a right c*** to get out.
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

Obviously you deal with rust more than I do. This will be very handy trick that's in everybody's tool box already.
just-rust
First Gear

Post by just-rust »

Thank you for posting this! I have been stripping everything off to get to the ball joint. This makes me realize how inefficient I really am. Write-ups (video) like this are extremely helpful. I kind of want to replace a good ball joint just to try it out!
Rusty 1991 EJ22T - VF28 - '07 wrx TMIC - MBC - Invidia DP - Walbro 255 SOLD
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, with some neat stuff on it
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Wow! Thanks for the write-up and video! Ball joint replacement is an upcoming project and now I'm actually looking forward to it! Using a 5/8" socket never crossed my mind. Thanks again! :D
'94 TW
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've always just used a brass hammer or nonmarring mallet to bang the control arm a few times, and it pops right out. Maybe I'm just fortunate on the rust front, lol.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Ball joints can be such a pain to get out. Good tip!
90 L+ wgn
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I've always just jammed a flat head into the split in the knuckle and the balljoint usually drops right out. I may try this method next time tho, great write up! That rust looks like a pain for sure. I'm lucky enough the rust here doesn't get too bad.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

Nice write up. I'm in SLC as well. :)
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.