Fuel pump

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Fuel pump

Post by chrisshara »

Has anyone had an issue with going through fuel pumps ? I have replaced my fuel pump twice in less than a year. Granted they are aftermarket fuel pumps. The original pump died, I replaced with one from Advance Auto Parts. It died and I parts warrantied it. Replaced the replacement fuel pump and it died ! I am now rolling on a NAPA fuel pump, but the NAPA fuel pump wears the same markings as the fuel pumps that I went through from Advance.

I checked power and ground at the pump and I am getting 12.5 volts at the pump (engine off) and no voltage on the ground side. I have already replaced the ignition switch. Maybe a funky fuel pump relay ?
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fuel pump

Post by Legacy777 »

Check the fuel pump connector under the rear seat for added resistance or if the connector has discoloration. If so you may want to put in some insulated spade connectors or some other kind of connector. That connector is known for causing problems.

If that's good then it's likely poor quality replacement pumps.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Re: Fuel pump

Post by chrisshara »

That makes sense, Josh. I just wanted to thank you for the reply. I didn't notice if the connector housing was discolored. At 22 years old, I would imagine discoloration to be normal, to a degree.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S