A vacuum hose reference for EJ22Ts

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

A vacuum hose reference for EJ22Ts

Post by vrg3 »

I've been meaning to do this for a while... Today I drew up a diagram of EJ22T vacuum hoses:

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/

I left off the IAC hose and the big BOV hoses since they're simple. I left off the PCV stuff since it's complicated. :)

Hopefully this will be useful for people doing swaps and/or replacing their hoses.

Please send me corrections if I got any of it wrong.
Last edited by vrg3 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Perfect!! Thank you.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Wicked awesome! (might as well talk like a Bostonian) I could have pieced it together from the manuals, but having the diameters is a real help!

Thanks.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You're welcome. :)

I pieced it together mostly from memory but then revised it with the service manuals, parts catalogs, and quick trips out to my car.

Metric hose can be hard to find, but I think these substitutions ought to do okay (especially if you use silicone since it's very flexible and stretchy):

3.5mm <-> 1/8"
4mm <-> 5/32"
5.5mm <-> 7/32"
7.5mm <-> 1/4" or 5/16"
10mm <-> 3/8" (though, since the brake booster hose needs a check valve, you may as well use an OEM hose)

I'd try to keep the boost control hoses as close as possible to stock diameter and length so the ECU's calibration remains correct.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Update: I added to the page a separate diagram of the PCV system I made by combining two pages from the parts catalog.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

nice work!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Great resource. Thanks vrg3!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, guys.

Whichever of you is the first to make good use of it, I would really appreciate it if you could either confirm or correct all the info afterwards.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Lengths would be great, or a total amount to purchase if I wanted to replace it all.

Since my engine is in a thousand parts anyways I might as well.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The thing is, most of the stock hoses are vulcanized, so knowing their stock lengths won't necessarily be useful.

The next person to replace all the hoses with bulk hose can try to give us the lengths they used that worked without kinking or getting in the way of other stuff; I can add them to the diagram.

If you can afford it, I think you should consider buying some or all of the stock hoses new.
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Very cool!!

now with those sizes I can replace em with silicone eventually.

Good job Vrg3
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I need to do nearly all the hoses so I'll try to measure everything out. Engine is progressing slowly, though. Damn jobless recovery!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Sweet, good idea vrg3! :D

I too would like to eventually replace all my lines.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

First correction: There's a 2mm restrictor in the wastegate bleed hose. I've updated the PNG and PDF.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wow, that restrictor is pretty important.

I had been running with hoses of approximately the right diameter but without the restrictor in the hose between the wastegate control solenoid and the resonator. Boost control didn't seem that precise; it seemed like it would spike a bit and vary in different gears or at different engine speeds. I tried cleaning out the solenoid and it helped a little, but...

Today I put a restrictor in (I drilled a 5/64" hole in a little piece of steel rod I had) and it really cleaned up the boost control a lot.

So anyone who has replaced their vacuum hoses but didn't notice the restrictor, I recommend replacing it. :) I would imagine that if you left out the union fitting in between the solenoid and compressor outlet it might show similar symptoms.
Legacytuner
First Gear

THANKS!!!!!!!

Post by Legacytuner »

I recently installed a DNA MBC. I got rid of the stock hose and replaced them with silicon. my boost was all over the place virtually uncontrollable
good thing i didnt throw away the restrictor i put it back in and wow 12psi
solid thanks!!!!
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Huh, that's kind of odd... I would expect most MBCs to work best with simple, short, unrestricted tubing. You're not running your MBC along with the factory boost control, are you?

That's cool that it's behaving how you want though. :)
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yeah, I don't have the restrictor in mine. It works fine, when I can boost.

Speaking of which, how do you get to hose 11 in the pcv vaccum tubing?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think you can get at it if you just remove the alternator.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Gotcha.

I also noticed that Adam plugged the inlet for the PCV at the corner of the right angle of the inlet boot. Then there's a single inlet from the PCV valve into the bottom of the block. No T in that section.

What would this do to the operation of the PCV system?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm not sure; I don't fully understand the PCV system.

My guess, though, is that you're not getting positive crankcase ventilation when you're on boost. It looks like that fitting is where crankcase vapors get sucked in by the partial vacuum at the compressor inlet when manifold vacuum is absent.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg3 you see your pic of the vacum lines on the valve covers which one can i put a catch can on so i dont get oil in my turbo.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I just updated the diagram. There were two errors before -- the canister's main purge line was indicated to be on the wrong fitting, and the brake booster hose was labeled as 10mm rather than the 11/32" it actually is.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

It would be nice to have a BOM for these hoses too. If someone had a scanner and was so inclined they could scan some pages out of the factory service manual or Haines. If this has been done I apologize.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

By bill of materials, you mean a price for each of the part numbers? Cuz the service manuals don't have them.

Or do you mean lengths, so you can use bulk hose to replace them? Part of the problem is that you kind of have to reroute them if you don't use premolded hose.