Legazee's Intake Mod How-To

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Oh, I know what your saying about the plastics. I'm just saying if the stock peice is plastic, then a plastic coffee mug (obviously going to be high temp plastic that can deal with coffee being poured into it) shouldn't have any problems dealing with the intake temperatures and the ambient temperature in the engine bay.

vrg3 - When you get back up north, do you think you could mail me an elbow? I'll cover all costs, I just can't find that damned thing ANYWHERE, lol.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sure thing. I'll get a bunch and send them to any board members who need them at cost.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hey, QuickDrive, how did you come up with the optimal dimensions you put in the writeup?

I took a caliper and quickly checked out the stock resonator, and these are the dimensions I get:

Inlet is 80mm (~3.14") O.D. and 22mm (~0.87") long.
Outlet is 65mm (~2.56") O.D. and 21mm (~0.83") long.
Body is 100mm (~3.94") long.
Axis of inlet and axis of outlet are 20mm (~0.79") apart.

Also, might it not make more sense for the wastegate bleed fitting (the smallest of the three nipples) to be a 90-degree elbow, to more closely match the stock orientation? It seems to me that you shouldn't need new vacuum hoses.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

V-man - My mug is the perfect size in every way. It would be air tight without even using the hose clamps.

The purge canister vaccum line is to short any way you slice it. The wastegate bleed SHOULD be an elbow, I didn't even think about that until I actually took apart the intake and tried to see if the mug would fit.

Do you think the hardwear store up in NY would have a 90 degree fitting for the wastegate bleed? I might need one.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, I see now that you're right -- the stock purge hose would be a couple inches too short since the stock resonator's shape puts the fitting closer to the front of the car. You should be able to just pick up some 5/16" hose from any auto parts store to replace it with though.

I'll look for the elbow for wastegate bleed.

Do you think you could take some measurements of your mug's dimensions?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Absolutely.

It fits the Maximum inlet and output dimentions (this I am positive of) and it barely clears the minimum length he posted. I can get you the exacts if you want them, or I can just buy you the mug I got and ship it up to you.

The inlet is EXACTLY the right size. You have to FORCE the elbow onto it. It fits, but it's hard to get on. Do NOT trim your intake elbow. It fits, you just have to apply pressure.

Like I said, it's just long enough that it seals completely without the use of the hose clamps. It's the exact right length, and exact on the inlet and outlet diameters.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I've got a Target near me here so I might just buy one myself here; the inventories should be the same.

I guess it's inevitable that you'd have to force the elbow on... If the end were small enough that it slid easily on, it wouldn't reliably stay on since the mug is tapered the whole way through.

That's cool that it doesn't need hose clamps. Cleans up the engine bay look a bit. :)