Ram air with the stock air box.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Ram air with the stock air box.

Post by 2.2Turbo »

My legacy has the nose air dam with a hole for fog lamps. My car does not have the fog lamps so I thought this would be a great place to pick up fresh air to feed the air box.

I purchased a 3" flex hose at Home Depot for the air duct. I opned the hole in the air box with a air saw to fit the 3" hose. I placed the hose in the air box and flared the flex hose inside the air box and sealed it with some RTV.

I also purchased a Kool Blue replacement filter from Summit. I think this will work well and feed alot of fresh air to the air box.
'92 Silver Legacy Sedan 5 speed
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool.

I remember 6 or 7 years ago someone on alt.autos.subaru did the same thing on his Legacy Turbo. He said it helped a lot.

Let us know how it does for you.

How do you deal with all the corrugations in the tubing?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

There is verry little if any corrugations in this tubing if you dont pull/expant it. It is aluminum hose in a 3' section that can be pulled out to 8'. I did not need to extend the hose any at all. I had to cut off about 8" of the hose. It is smooth inside until pulled for added length. That is why I went with this hose. It was only like $4.00.

This was a easy install. I also had the fender liner out because I just finished painting the car.
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I keep seeing those list of cars in your signature and am always amazed by how many SWEET cars you have!!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

Thanks! I love turbo cars. 8)
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yeah, me too!! But turbo Buicks rank HIGH on my list of turbo cars!!

Now all you need is a GNX and you'll be set!! :twisted:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Any pics?

Sounds like you did almost exactly what setup a year or so ago, I used the same aluminum tubing you describe.

Worked well until the day when I drove through a foot or of water and it filled the tube, stretching it out and pushing it through the fender liner due to the weight :P

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

I have a friend that has a GNX. It only has 8,000 miles and stays in the garage all of the time. I think I would rather have a '89 turbo TA. I have drove a few of the turbo TA's. You have the best of both worlds; power and handling.

No pics. at this time. My digital camera took a crap. I hope to have a new camera in a few weeks.

I secured the hose very well with aluminum straps and zip ties.
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Quick story for you all about my exerience in a pretty heavily moded grand nash. 5 of us were on the highway doing about 80 or so when we noticed a twin turbo supra coming up very quick on the right side. just as he was about to pass the driver of the grand nash floored it and we were instantly nose to nose going the same speed as the supra! we were going 80 and I got planted in the back seat. He had to be going at least 120 to come up on us that fast. Damn, thats one fast ass car.

Consider yourself lucky man.

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

I have raced my GN a few times. I don't drag race the GN any longer, it's not worth crashing or spinning into the wall. The best the GN ran was a 7.05@99mph in the 1/8th. mile. This was with a 1.778 short time (60ft). Not to bad for a street car.

The yellow T Type ran a 6.75 @ 102mph in the 1/8th. Don't race it any longer. No cage in eather car. To nice of a car to be drag racing.

I am in the process of building my silver T Type as a race only car. It is safer this way. This car has a full cage and all of the goodies.

Just a little info. I thought you would like.
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd