how do i adjust throttle stop

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tiworld
In Neutral

how do i adjust throttle stop

Post by tiworld »

legacy 91 AWD
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Apparently there were two different throttle stop screw systems used. My 1993 just has a philips head screw. The head faces down and towards the front of the car. Subiekid can comment on his 1992 which has some more complex setup apparently.

Ordinarily you shouldn't need to adjust the throttle stop screw. Why do you think you need to? Our cars have computer-controlled idle; the idle air control valve (below the PCV valve) is a solenoid valve that lets air bypass the throttle body. In fact, if you make a small adjustment to the throttle stop screw and then let the car idle for a little bit, the ECU will learn around the change and your idle will return to how it was before.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
tiworld
In Neutral

Post by tiworld »

i have problems with the autobox wont disengage drive when i stop i want to check that the tps is adjusted corectly the transmission place where they rebuit the 4 EAT box screwed around with the tps and throltle body trying to fix the problem i want to check to see if it right
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It sound like the shop you used doesnt know what the heck they are doing, and now you are confused on how an automatic works. When you stop drive is not disengauged. This problem has nothing to do with the throttle stop or TPS. You could hold wide open throttle and still stop the car while in drive.

Your torque converter is most likely getting locked up. Does your engine rpm drop or the engine stalls when you try to stop.
tiworld
In Neutral

Post by tiworld »

the lock on the torque converter is not unlocking theres no fault code they put a new speed sensor on and a new tps the g/box was trashed whn i got the car all worn out i am wondering if that was the problem i priced a new tcu up it $1000 cnd, they transmission place said they rebuild is i can wire a swith in to lockup solinod to stop it lock up but theres something else amiss any ideas :?:
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You could wire up a switch, but if they didnt fix it right in the first place why not take it back and make them do it again?
tiworld
In Neutral

Post by tiworld »

it is 4 months after they fixed the box it has been in the shop for 2 months on and off even the subaru shop have no clue
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I know it sounds like alot of work but if you arent getting a code perhaps the TC is the problem. You could try swapping them out.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Hey Admin -

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... FSM_Scans/

Are those FSM scans general? What years/models of Legacy are covered by those scans? More specifically... can I use these scans to work on my '94 Legacy, or are they incorrect in certain areas?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think most of Josh's scans are from his 1990 manual. Most of it is still applicable to your 1994 but not all of it. If in doubt, ask others on this forum when you have a specific project. :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

OK, at least its for the same car model, just the wrong year. I can make use of it still... Thanks! FSM's are tough to come by, at least they always have been for me.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah most are from my 90 FSM's. There may be some from the 92-94 manuals.

Here's the root of the manuals
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... ual_scans/

some chilton scans.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Put the car in the number two selector on a day that it has this problem and drive around. I bet it doesnt happen. The TC should only lock in third and fourth. What happens is that you drive around for a while, the TC locks then when you are coming to a stop it downshifts until in first. The TC "clutches" are strong enough to stall the engine before disengauging when they are stuck.

As for a troubleshooting tool and temporary fix you should disconnect the lead for TC lockup control and drive around. See if it still happens. Highway MPG will be reduced of course.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Another thing it could be is your iac valve is stuck closed, this same thing happened to me, it'd die coming to a stop, did it for days. Then I changed the iac valve it hasn't done this since. I say check that as well, even if it isn't the problem it cant hurt to take a look at it.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.