Q's about Coffee Cup Mod/De-Snorkle

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

The bigger tubes should be no problem, it's the AIC, & 3/16" tubes that will be a pain to find.
Keep your eyes open for this stuff...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Turboprinz
In Neutral

Post by Turboprinz »

Hey guys, please post someone some pics. Dunno if i'm lacking imagination or english, so some pics really would help! :D Thx
Like alcoholism, the first step to overcoming the ricer mentality is admitting to it.
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

i have seen a 2.5"-3" pipe at Canadian tire
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|...............................................|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Autozone carries them (2.5"- 3" reducer-pipe - steel) too.
? Aluminium
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

I did a few things similar to what has been discussed here, including a cone (first without heat shielding, then with) and even without the shield to keep hot air off of my filter, I got a faster throttle response. I stand behind they guy who said no HP gain though, but if you do that AND the exhaust, you may gain 1-3... I just like the sound of the N/A with the cone, she sounds like a vacuum cleaner (without the exhaust) and she sounds pretty violent with the exhaust. of course, many would say it doesn't meet DB requirements, but thats why you let off on the gas when your local PD is nearby.

have yet to get pics of the shield, but I can help you by explaining how to build one if you have access to some sheet metal or aluminum (I used aluminum fascia from a house to create mine) it will keep most of the engine heat away from the filter and change things a little.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Pictures eventually would be very helpful, I'm having so much trouble understanding exactly what's being done...
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Hey man, just saw this post. Ill put up pics for you tomorrow. I put this in after a sti turbo back. What I for sure noticed was an improved throttle response in the elevated rpm ranges. Keep in mind that this is precluded by only a uncorked exhaust upgrade. As you reach the higher rev range under stock setup you will start to struggle to maintain smooth consistent acceleration however with the mug mod you will absolutely notice a smoother quicker more even acceleration up to redline. AND it sound really cool, though I cant hear mine too much over the exhaust.

Pics tomorrow, too dark now.
Ben
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
New92
Third Gear

56K Beware!!

Post by New92 »

Ok, sorry for the wait. Here are your pics, not too pretty but its functional and that is what counts :D

Hope it helps
1992 SS 5MT
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Ah, yes, that does help. I feel kind of silly not being able to visualize it before, but even if I didn't seeing it in action is motivating. Thank you. :-D
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
ramathorn
First Gear

Post by ramathorn »

here are a couple pics of mine i just did today. please dont make fun of my homo yellow reducers and blue tubing thats just what happened to be on the intake at the junk yard. the intake is for a 97 mirage its a full 3" pipe so i hacked a piece of 2.5" pipe and put it inside the oem turbo inlet for clamping support and then used the 2.5" - 3" reducer to connect the intake pipe to the support/ bridging tube. i did have to find a way to connect the 3/8" hose into the intake so i went to home depot and got a air compressor npt fitting 3/8" on one side and 1/4" to connect to the vaccume line. i had a k&n filter and maf adapter i took off my last impreza before i sold it to finish off the intake. i know it looks pretty hokey but there is a deffinate differance between all stock, stock box w/ my intake tube, stock with my k&n, and my full intake. with just the tube i could tell a difference in the intake pitch but with the open filter it had more of a deeper tone along with the sound of the air rushing in.

know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

My mug in amongst stock tubing to a de-snorkled airbox
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

oh look what i found.....

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod ... cts_id=664

would look super sick with this mod
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

hehe,
I saw that too, it will look just like this same cup, different logo.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2958 ... ttanr2.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to upgrade 8)
'92 Legacy SS ej20g mugged, desnorked, TD04, , MBC, CAI,v2 i/c, JDM STi v2 close ratio 5sp w/4.11's, short shifted.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yeah, i'm going to do this with another coffee cup, but i want to put a legacycentral.org sticker on the mug because then and only then will it be most awesome.
haha.
too bad that subaru mug costs twice what this whole mod costs from ace...the LC sticker will make it better
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
boostedlegacy
In Neutral

Post by boostedlegacy »

ahh now i see
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

know1 wrote:My mug in amongst stock tubing to a de-snorkled airbox
ok so im FINALLY getting around to doing this.
what did you guys use to create the seal around the hoses?
liquid rubber? silicon?
i tried jb-weld and that did not work as well as the man said it would... :?

thanks,
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

I did the jbweld and it worked fine, you just have to keep your fingers wet so that you can mold it properly. Some guys on here have used various types of epoxy, you just have to hunt a bit on the intake threads and you will find what you need.
1992 SS 5MT
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I can't remember what I used, something from RONA. It was prolly something for plumbing, hi temp, water proof sealant.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

got the jb weld to work finally. i was using some pre-mixed sticky tac like stuff before.
i switched to the actual 2 tube mix and that worked better.
just have to wait for it to fully set before i install it.
i'll give info then
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I have generally used sealants from the Goop line of products. Automotive Goop or Seal-All. They work really well, especially if you do many very thin layers. Just be sure they cure fully, though, because there's a possibility that uncured adhesive could contaminate the oxygen sensor.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

how should i test that?
i did a light check from inside the cup with the lights out and a lighter
to make sure there were no air holes.
just poke it with a steak knife? :D
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Test that it's cured? I was talking about Goop. Epoxy doesn't have the same issues. When it's rock-hard, it's cured.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ha ha i know i was kidding.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

so i installed mine and there definitely is a HUGE increase in the sound the turbo makes, and the turbo starts to spool at like 2.5k on my car.....and it's LOUD.

i've got sti TBE and the whole gosh darned car is vibrating/rumbling and yelling constantly :D

cool little mod for cheap.
i always hated the intake resonator anyway
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Mine is still holding on strong with JB weld after several years, a couple autocrosses, and a track day thrown in for good measure.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS