Q's about Coffee Cup Mod/De-Snorkle

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Just to clarify, you SHOULD use the JB Weld Stick, not the tube mix. It may all provide the same finished product HOWEVER the stick is so much easier to measure mix and apply. Trust me you will be glad you used it.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
sublunacy
First Gear

cup, snorkle

Post by sublunacy »

I want to add that I recently did the coffee cup mod.
my opinion is u can't lose with that mod! + crisper faster throttle responce, u can feel = more power.

just did the snorkus mod.... with 3" pvc, only maybe 4" sticking out of the air box... and well, not so impressed with that specific setup
(great top end, but low end is weak and very confused feeling untill 3500 rpm)
so next the stock snorkus "down pipe" only is going on tmrw to see if it cleans up....( no foam filled box or uppipe)

still have stock exhuast, so i will try the 3" snorkus mod AGAIN when i have the 3" exhaust....maybe make it longer too, like 10" or so?

I'll keep u posted
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
TRD Legacy
In Neutral

Post by TRD Legacy »

im new to the forum but have had my legacy for a while, and am thinking about doing the coffee mod. and was goin to ask is there a coffee mug u guys have that is a good fit and is there a link??? if not thats ok i have to guess and check lol
My legacy has a 2JZ-GTE J/K

EJ22t
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Welcome to the forum, youve found a good place for info on a fun and unique car.

search for "100% spill proof mug" they used to be sold at Target. I had no luck myself as they seem to be a rare commodity. I ended up breaking into my bro in laws work shop and taking his. Ive seen a guy on here use a martini shaker, it was aluminum I think, that may be your best bet at this point. You can find a whole lot of info on here as this is one of the most covered mods in the forum. This should get you started.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=mug

Good luck and dont be a stranger.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

pm me if you want, i have a already cut up coffee mug in my room that i was going to use but didn't.
if you can't find one let me know.

and welcome to your new distraction...im supposed to be doing stats right now :shock:
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
TRD Legacy
In Neutral

Post by TRD Legacy »

thanks guys, yeah i work as a dish washer at this restraunt and looked at the martini shaker and thought that would fit well lol. :-D

EJ22t
TRD Legacy
In Neutral

Post by TRD Legacy »

oh yeah wen im done how many hoses should be sticking out of the coffee mug?
because i have three on my resonator now but i heard ppl only connectin 2? :roll:

EJ22t
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

just the same 3 son
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I believe, you can actually cap off the one that comes from the stock boost control solenoid.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

asc_up wrote:I believe, you can actually cap off the one that comes from the stock boost control solenoid.
Not unless you're using some other form of boost control.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can put a filter on the end instead of connecting it to the mug.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes....but does that solenoid always stay closed unless it's releasing boost pressure?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, yeah, probably mostly. At idle it's closed, but as soon as you touch the throttle it starts moving. Watch the duty cycle readout on the Select Monitor and you'll see. So there's almost certainly no suction on the line, but it's still bad form to leave a vacuum hose open to the atmosphere without at least a filter, I'd say.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I agree. I don't see what the big deal is with just piping it back into the intake.

I also question whether the factory tuned the wastegate solenoid with the fact that vacuum would be on the exhaust port vs. atm. I'm not sure if that would affect how quickly boost bleeds.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I would argue that the flow pattern would be more like stock if you had it open to atmosphere than if you plumbed it into the mug. With the stock resonator, the bleed line attaches to a chamber that's mostly separated from the primary flow.

I'd imagine Subaru had to pipe it back into the intake for emissions reasons. The air being bled out passed through the MAF sensor, so they wouldn't want to throw off the readings (no matter by how small an amount), and it also could have a little bit of blowby and whatnot in it.
TRD Legacy
In Neutral

Post by TRD Legacy »

ok guys i just completed my coffee cup mod.

should i do the de snorkus thing becuase i was getting mixed opinons about it?

thnx

EJ22t
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yes.

There's no reason not to unless: you hate the sound of turbo's OR you're planning on driving through 3' puddles (which isn't recommended anyways).
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

a.k.A. the puddles of doom, they'll get you eventually :shock:
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

Caused by puddle of doom:
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Damn that uncompressible water.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

I wish I could get pictures up of my intake mod. I just got it put in about two months ago and it looks pretty good. I used silicone elbows and a 6" polished aluminum pipe. All from ebay and it was only like $45 dollars or something. Not bad for a cleaner looking intake. I have an Apex'i bov and had to do some new hose plumbing but it worked out good for me. Better than my previous coffee cup mod attempts. My turbo inlet elbow was cracked so another reason i just replaced it. If I can get pictures up sometime or a link, I will do so.
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

To get your hands on superior lubricant products from AMSOIL utilize the following url:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1819626&page=store
JRHolt
In Neutral

Re: Q's about Coffee Cup Mod/De-Snorkle

Post by JRHolt »

Hey Guys,

I just finished the Coffee Cup Mod. I used a 3" aluminium tube and welded it to a 2.5" based on other members posts. Turns out that it should be slightly larger than 3" and 2.5" tubes but I used rubber to fill the gap. I also welded a 90 degree fitting into the tube to accommodate the small rubber hose.

I will include a few photos because there aren't many out there so far.

Cheers!

03 Forester XS, WRX suspension mods
93 Legacy EJ22T, modded
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice setup!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

DO THE SNORKUS DELETE, no cone filters tho. stock airbox with a k&n, most amazing sound ever. crisper throttle response, its ridiculously cheep, i did it all in an afternoon, the snorkus is a huge place basically for air to swirl around, same for where the coffee cup goes, both items are there for air to swirl around and lose pressure. theres an awesome write up on it somewhere in this forum. cone filters are up in the engine bay where all that heat is so your air is warmer and less combustible, the air box channels down into your fender where theres better air flow and cooler air. the snorkus delete is free, you just remove it.
dillonr92
First Gear

Post by dillonr92 »

I am new to the fourm but have deffenatly be around it..... I want to do the coffe cup mod but i have a cone filter. With a custom heat shield and cold air fed...would that be fine? Wont mess with idle or smoothness of accel.?. Also how can the stock air box desnorked be better than a cone with proper shielding i understand the cold air through the fender. But you have an intake hole only open to like 2" maybe 2 1/4. With the cone you get 3" s of cold air intake . .. Ill post pics of my set up as soon as i figure out how to.
92 SS winestone red. td04 - FMIC. RWD 5 spd swap/LSD.dead...
94 LEGACY GT RAISED ROOF WAGON, fozzy lift hydro clutch/91SS 5speed/VLSD..#5.NEW FuLL DRiFT SLuT 93SS winestone,RS 5speed RWD. Welded rear, td04, fmic, 17x9 +20