Cone filter on a N/A?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rally370
Second Gear

Cone filter on a N/A?

Post by rally370 »

I've read somewhere here that the cone filter does work so well with the MAF ? I was thinking of the best of both worlds. Keep the original air box and cut a round hole opposite the MAF into the airbox and attach a cone filter. This filter would access to cold air via a scope in the hood. Then I can use the cone for the rallies and remove blank the hole for the street.
Thoughts? anyone done it? do cones filters work?
Cheers

Chris

Rally Legacy AWD #370 gone! Rally Suzuki swift GTI N1 #370 parted out. Now Mini Cooper #370 with STI suspension in Costa Rica
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've got something kind of like that, but with a K&N replacement panel. I'm pulling air from a brake cooling duct in the bumper that goes through a tube behind the fender and into the airbox. Seemed to make a little difference the first day I drove it. I used to be able to run 0-60 in 8 flat and pulled a 16.3 1/4 mile with the N/A so maybe it did something. Now it just sits in the garage and probably helps mice find their way into the airbox.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
speezly
Second Gear

Re:

Post by speezly »

evolutionmovement wrote:I've got something kind of like that, but with a K&N replacement panel. I'm pulling air from a brake cooling duct in the bumper that goes through a tube behind the fender and into the airbox. Seemed to make a little difference the first day I drove it. I used to be able to run 0-60 in 8 flat and pulled a 16.3 1/4 mile with the N/A so maybe it did something. Now it just sits in the garage and probably helps mice find their way into the airbox.
What other mods did you do to your n/a? im not looking to gain crazy hp, but there have to be some other mods that i can take advantage of right?
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
droveinmylane
In Neutral

Re: Cone filter on a N/A?

Post by droveinmylane »

Same question as Speezly There hass to be some small mods u can do to a n/a.
without spending tons of money
90 Legacy Wagon N/A.... Newest adventure
1978 Brat......Brumby2
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

No other performance mods. Just a ringer, apparently. Also fwd, so less weight and power loss than awd. I don't really know how much difference the intake even made, but it looks cool, yet isn't terribly obvious. I got mine from the UK, but I'm sure a NASCAR-type supplier would have a NACA duct that would work. If not black plastic like mine, I know they have clear ones they use in the windows. Those could be painted on the inside to match the body color.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

i cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the air box so it still gets filtered air with a hole cutter for like wood and stuff on mine with a k&n oe drop in filter, big difference on sound. ill get a picture later
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon