MAF maxxed out?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rockethound
First Gear

MAF maxxed out?

Post by rockethound »

Ok,
I just finished putting the "92 SS back together, I installed a TD04 and v1 slanty I/C, coffee cup mod,desnorked it and ran an abs pipe cold air inlet from the RH foglight socket to the remaining half of the snorkus outlet. Now, bearing all of that in mind, here's my issue: under full throttle conditions, the car pulls hard to about 3500-3800 rpm then it jumps like an auto transmission downshifting into passing gear. The boost stops at 11psi but the car continues to accelerate. I usually let off the throttle at this time 'cause it just doesn't feel right. I don't think it's fuel cut because It's still accelerating, does this sound like a MAF issue?
I haven't dialed the mbc back yet, that will probably be my next step. I have a 5 speed so it has the Hitachi MAF, if that is the problem, would the Jecs MAF correct the condition or should I just turn the mbc back down? The car runs like a rocket other than this issue if it is an issue and not paranoia setting in. :?

Jeff

Try to be inconspicuous, conspicuous objects draw enemy fire...and speeding tickets
'92 Legacy SS ej20g mugged, desnorked, TD04, , MBC, CAI,v2 i/c, JDM STi v2 close ratio 5sp w/4.11's, short shifted.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

The JECs MAF has a wider range, but you need something to tune the car with after installing one. If I remember correctly it runs a little leaner? 11 psi shouldnt be making the car do that though. Especially with a small turbo like the TD04. Have you installed a fuel cut defender?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

All turbos have Hitachi MAFs
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

dzx wrote:The JECs MAF has a wider range, but you need something to tune the car with after installing one. If I remember correctly it runs a little leaner? 11 psi shouldnt be making the car do that though. Especially with a small turbo like the TD04. Have you installed a fuel cut defender?
No FCD yet, probably my next step. I'm trying to decide between
Vikash's electronic FCD and the mechanical check valve from Mcmaster-Carr. probably do that sometime within the next week.
I'm also going to try a couple of things with my cai in the foglight socket to see if maybe it's creating enough turbulence through the K-N panel to disturb the maf, though I doubt that's the issue.

Jeff
'92 Legacy SS ej20g mugged, desnorked, TD04, , MBC, CAI,v2 i/c, JDM STi v2 close ratio 5sp w/4.11's, short shifted.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

rockethound,
I'm at about the same stage you are.
Just completed the 22t swap with a td04 and v2 slant mount, and I'm experiencing the same thing. The boost spools up real quick (fully spooled by 3k rpm), but feels like it loses power shortly after.
I wonder if it isn't fuel cut. Let us know how that works for you.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Fuel cut is controlled by the boost pressure. And from what I understand, it's like hitting a wall.

I pressume you've checked for codes? You could also wire in Vikash's scan tool and check the MAF voltage.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I have a 3" cold air intake in the fender of my car. I really dont think the turbulence is causing the problem. That usually only affects the idle.

Yes, Fuel cut is like hitting a wall. What you're describing sounds kinda like a boost leak somewhere or vacuum leak.

Is your knock sensor in good condition?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

Oh bugger...the knock sensor did have a crack in it, I forgot about it when I was installing the i/c. Thats going to be fun to get at. :(
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

I don't have Vikash's scan tool. I guess I'll have to build one.
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

well, I just read the two cheap fcd sticky posts in the turbo forum, (there's a lot of pages there :D) now that I have a better understanding of the situation, it does sound like fuel cut issues. So, it looks like there is an fcd in my future.

Jeff
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If your knock sensor is bad, it will pull timing after you hit boost so you will experience a loss of power but keep accelerating.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
rockethound
First Gear

Post by rockethound »

yeah,
my existing k/s has a crack in the plastic, I was going to swap a different one in but got all wrapped up in trying to get my bpv to fit and spaced the k/s. So, now we'll se if it can be swapped without having to remove the i/c. :( I guess I might have an excuse to install the '04 i/c and the '05 scoop. :D

jeff