Factory turbo air inlet delete?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wind chaser
In Neutral

Factory turbo air inlet delete?

Post by wind chaser »

Has anyone deleted the factory air inlet elbow (# 46023AA110)?

It seems the stock piece shouldn't be as brittle as it is (yeah, what should I expect from a frequently heated 14 year old piece of rubber, right?)
I am tempted to try a silicone elbow that reduces from the coffee cup to the turbo and plumb all the fittings upstream.
Thoughts?
Success stories?
I used to be full, but I'm finally MT !!
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Mine is starting to crack. We looked at getting a silicone, and there is one that will fit and work. But then you would have to have a good coffee cup replacement piece to weld all the fittings to.

But yes, It would work.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Steeper
First Gear

Post by Steeper »

instead of coffee cup I used a straight peice of stainless with a short silicone neck down. Might be a little more turbulent than the coffee cup, but its nice and thick and easy to weld to so when my elbow turns to shit I can move all that to the stainless and get a silicone replacement...
93 impreza wagon
95 v2 STI RA drivetrain
FMIC
002.5 RS bumper and 95 wrx hood
SS 3in TB
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I have seen some 90 degree silicone pieces for some wrx/sti turbos that have the connections on them, they just aren't where we would need them and I am not sure about the sizes either. I was considering those and then chose the easy way out and jsut replaced mine with a stocker.
I would like to get rid of those things that stick inside the elbow and restrict the air. if I remember right it was from one of the pvc hoses.

Has anyone cut that off and what effect did it have?

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
boro
Second Gear

Post by boro »

if you remove that PCV line the motor will stutter and die. Well, it does on mine. My maf is mated directly to the elbow and my IAC I plumed to the hole on the fron tof the elbow and the rear bung obviously is re-circ. But removing any of my PCV lines from my catch can just makes the car die at idle.
91 SS Pearl White
>Apexi Power Intake, HKS 3" Downpipe, Saab TMIC, Blitz SS bpv, STi Shifter and Bushing, WRX Suspention and Clutch, Whiteline RCA Kit, Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings (sport), Ghetto HoodScoop
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I don't want to remove the lines, I would just like to get rid of the protrusion inside the elbow that has to be causing turbulence and less airflow,

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Back from the dead! Thanks search engine!

My elbow is fubar. I did a quick fix but I'm looking to do a coffe cup / 90° elbow delete. Anyone done such a thing? I researched ebay but found nothing.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I bought a 90* silicone elbow from siliconeintakes.com and didn't end up using it because the turn was too gradual. It's hard to find a short elbow like the factory piece...
SUBARUEHS Racing
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Any '96+ air box lid will fit the stock bottom half and has a 45º outlet, as opposed to the stock 90º. Which makes for a straighter shot to the turbo, if thats the one you're referring to.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i made this but havent installed it yet. if you guys can weld you just need an elbow after your coffee cup.

it'll be done soon. i have to trim the nipples and shorten the pipe a bit.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I believe you need the bottom of the airbox too as the 45 degree clips on and our stock ones screw on. Just wanted to clarify a little.

Jeff
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

jefferson wrote:I believe you need the bottom of the airbox too as the 45 degree clips on and our stock ones screw on. Just wanted to clarify a little.

Jeff
You are correct Jeff. The opening into the fender is also a little larger.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm