Coffee cup mod, de-snorkus How To

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Coffee cup mod, de-snorkus How To

Post by Canadian Turbo »

OK so I'm a little frustrated, maybe I'm just a fool, but I've spent all afternoon searching on and off, looking for detailed instructions on how to do the de-snorkel, coffee cup mod.

I finally found it
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... cks&A=1605

You guys are an awsome resource for information, but you're also very good at cross referencing threads when noobs ask redundant questions. After many threads this is a bad thing, searching only gives you pages and pages of cross refferenced threads that all point nowhere, or at best to the "questions about the coffe mod" thread, which requires that you know exactly how to do it in the first place.

This article or something more "legacy central original" should be stickied, please. There doesn't seem to be any other info as worthy of a sticky in this section.

PS if you are below noob status, the coffee cup comes in when it comes time to replace the resonant chamber. From what I understand you would source one of those non spill, insulated stainless steel mugs, make some holes in it and use it intead of the $$ MRT piece in this article.

Don't mean to piss off any of you gurus, just trying to organise your Einstein like ramblings.
Last edited by Canadian Turbo on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------Jonathan--------
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

The search field can be a bit of a haystack, you may also find the "library" useful, if youve not already discovered it. At the suggestion of others Ive found the Google search to be a bit more intuitive.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

oh k not to smash but there are literally 300,000,000,000 threads about the coffee cup mod.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

SubaruNation wrote:oh k not to smash but there are literally 300,000,000,000 threads about the coffee cup mod.
Precisely!!! You get my point then, thank you, please read the post.

BTW New92
I agree the library is very usefull, I use it often. But a coffee cup mod "how to" is not in there. It should be.......

I always use the google search, is there another?
-------Jonathan--------
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Stick with the Google search. It's the better one.

I understand what you're saying, but it's bound to happen once the forum begins to grow.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Canadian Turbo wrote:
SubaruNation wrote:oh k not to smash but there are literally 300,000,000,000 threads about the coffee cup mod.
Precisely!!! You get my point then, thank you, please read the post.

BTW New92
I agree the library is very usefull, I use it often. But a coffee cup mod "how to" is not in there. It should be.......

I always use the google search, is there another?
i did... can you read :shock:?
let me solve your illiteracy problem...
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=240933

this thing has been around since like 2004 and everyone on here has done it already.. so...
go to page 2 and then apologize mr smarty pants :wink:

and thank you :smt023
Last edited by SubaruNation on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Zach don't be an ass. Haha.
Everyone is on 'n00b 5tAtU5' at least once in their life.

Give him a break.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:Stick with the Google search. It's the better one.

I understand what you're saying, but it's bound to happen once the forum begins to grow.
or shrinks... alot :D
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:Zach don't be an ass. Haha.
Everyone is on 'n00b 5tAtU5' at least once in their life.

Give him a break.
i still am ha ha, an ass and a noob.

ya just gotta read, and know HOW to search son.
thats it, it's all on here
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

He does have a good point.
Soon enough, you'll figure out how to 'search' on here. i.e. picking through all of the crap to find what you need.
Hahaha.
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:He does have a good point.
Soon enough, you'll figure out how to 'search' on here. i.e. picking through all of the crap to find what you need.
Hahaha.
ah ha this might turn into another thread like spencer's when he crashed his car...where we just went on and on for eight pages about nothing? remember? ha ha awesome.

and there is alot of crap, just gotta SIFT and i'll stop with the metaphors.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Hahahaha yeah that was a never-ending thread. Craziness.
-Aaron

Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

I am quite literate. The problem here is comprehension.

If you understand the original post, the issue I was trying to bring to light was NOT whether the information was in here or not. I know full well it is, I found it.

I will point out that the link you just posted displays a page on the "Qs about ...mod" which then contains a link to another thread which contains the links that I posted in my original post.

If you think that this round about way of getting the information on a mod that "everyone has done" is effecient...... you have too much time to waste on your hands.

You've been around here longer than me........ maybe that gives me the ability to look at this site from a fresh perspective. I make an effort not to post garbage, and I stand by the orignal post, comprehension is key.
-------Jonathan--------
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Whatever you need to tell yourself
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

SubaruNation wrote:Whatever you need to tell yourself
NASIOC.......
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:
SubaruNation wrote:Whatever you need to tell yourself
NASIOC.......

OH NO YOU DIDN"T!
ha ha, gotta love stereotypes
:D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's enough guys.

Jonathan I can see where you're coming from. Personally, I tend to be rather stingy with stickies. They can be cluttering, and when you start getting more and more, the importance seems to go away. Plus, most people don't look at them, unless they're told.

The board has its own search engine, besides the google search. I use the board's search feature. Some don't like it, but it works very well. The usefulness of your search results has a lot to do with what your search criteria are. That's true with any search engine anywhere...not just here.

I'm not sure what you searched for, or what information you were specifically looking for, but there tends to be little tid bits of information in a lot of the various threads. That combined information is what tends to give you all the pieces of the puzzle. If you or anyone else wants to put together a complete how to on this or other topics, by all means go for it. But as I mentioned, there's a lot of little tid bits, trial and error that you end up picking up in the various threads that is difficult to put in a how to. Sometimes those little tid bits are very valuable.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

ummmm....

basicly just find a shaker tin (like bartenders have) that matches the sizes of the two tube it will be stuck into (I don't know the measurments off hand but I bet vrg does). Then drill two holes and get some pipe parts that fit the hoses that were once in your resonator thingy (again someone here will know the measurments) and stick them in there with a good silicon glue. Once you got the mug done chuck it in there and drive around making cool noises, here a link to a pic of mine in my engine bay.

1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

These are measurements I took a long time ago of a stock resonator:

Inlet is 80mm O.D. and 22mm long.
Outlet is 65mm O.D. and 21mm long.
Body is 100mm long.
Axis of inlet and axis of outlet are 20mm apart.

That last part is the one all this mug stuff doesn't properly deal with, but it hasn't seemed to cause problems for any of us.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

Seriously thank you, this is all information that I did not find. Will get to it, going to measure some drinking devices in the kitchen right now!!
-------Jonathan--------
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i got all my stuff from Blowes ..
these are the brass inserts i used,

x Pipe Coupling 1/4" FIP Watts A-732
x Tube to MIP Elbow w/insert Watts A-29 1/4" x 1/8"

x Hose Barb Adapter 3/8" Barb x 1/4" MIP Watts A-293

x Zurn 1" x 1" copper elbow

x Ander-lign Compression Elbow 3/8" OD x 1/4" MIP w/insert Watts A-128 969p

colors indicate packaging of the item @ lowes, all are made by watts.
;)
davidson 5139
First Gear

Coffee cup mod.

Post by davidson 5139 »

This may sound lazy, but would someone please make me a coffee cup mod and ship it to me? I will GLADLY pay for what ever i have too for your labor and material. I just dont' have time to do so. I just got finished doing my big 16g and tmic and i would like to clean up my engine bay with the coffee cup mod and of course the sound. Please let me know.
91 5 speed SS. Greddy 3" Catless exhaust, Boost controller, TDO4, Intake, Equal Length Headers, TMIC, Wesico pistons, scat rods, Old School Wheels, Greddy Catch can
darkcrave
Second Gear

Re: Coffee cup mod, de-snorkus How To

Post by darkcrave »

Bump! Good info
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
mcbrat
First Gear

Re: Coffee cup mod, de-snorkus How To

Post by mcbrat »

I found this at a Bosselman's Truck Plaza today....
It had plastic top and bottom... the steel looks to be perfect fit, no cutting....

03 Baja Sport
09 Forester XT Ltd.
82 Brat - Toyota Solid Axles and 36's
crisco
First Gear

Re: Coffee cup mod.

Post by crisco »

davidson 5139 wrote:This may sound lazy, but would someone please make me a coffee cup mod and ship it to me? I will GLADLY pay for what ever i have too for your labor and material. I just dont' have time to do so. I just got finished doing my big 16g and tmic and i would like to clean up my engine bay with the coffee cup mod and of course the sound. Please let me know.

its fun doing it yourself! plus if the 'caulking' doesnt seal right you can only blame yourself. but yeah i bet if someone started pre-making these at home they could sell them on here for the cost of materials plus some compensation for your time.
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---