De-snorkal a NA car?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I always wondered why Subaru would have put so much effort into designing such a complicated intake part that was before the filter and MAF.

I also get a kick out of the idea that even the newer Subarus are essentially the same cars as ours. The "Legacy" lives on heh
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

To reduce noise.

I guess BC Legacys are not as smart as OBDII Imprezas.
The wifes cars runs fine (for 1+ years now since snorkectomy) & started chirping the tires on WOT starts (fwd auto) after the snorkectomy.....

The WOT sounds are a bit much for a 17 second car, but it runs well & is no longer a 18 second car.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I was so surprised the difference it made, I got a bit excited there. :P

But the whole rev range really is smoother with the snorkus in, the engine is more civil. I do miss the higher top end power though. I think this graph illustrates pretty well how and why power delivery is less smooth; MAF voltage:

Source

I'm considering making one of those hybrid intakes now, but aluminum isn't the greatest material. I think smooth as stock MAF voltage could be had if I could make a hybrid intake out of a similar plastic as the stock one, just removing the accordion piece, more or less. The reason I think a soft plastic (like stock) would be much better than aluminum is because aluminum doesn't absorb vibrations, most likely causing the more excited MAF voltages seen above.
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What was the alpha reading doing? Or did you check it?

I'm still not convinced the issue posted on NASIOC is the same issue experienced here on the first gen legacies.

I honestly think that most if not all of the issues stem from the MAF sensor not accurately reading the air entering the engine. The snorkel and how the airbox are designed are done to help improve the accuracy of the MAF, by means of flow restriction.

If the car was retuned with a stand alone using an open intake or removing the snorkel, I think you wouldn't have the problem....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

So you're saying the issue with my car is due to truly erratic air flow confusing the MAF while the one on NASIOC has to do with resonant interference with the MAF?

I didn't check the alpha. I'll check the Fuel Trim (alpha) today.
-Nick
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

More or less....yes that's what I'm saying.

The reasons I'm saying that are because our ECU's don't stay in closed loop much, so the direct measurement they did can't be done with our ECU's.

It's very possible the two issues are related, I guess I'm just not convinced they are.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I never had any issues, though I kept the stock airbox hole and just replaced the snorkel with an intake hose (same diameter as hole/former snorkel) that opens to a NACA duct in the front bumper. Only time I ever had hesitation issues was when the intake was clogged from punching through snowbanks. Which makes me wonder - does the WOT hesitation you guys are experiencing only happen from a stop? Could the engine be pulling too much air from the semi-closed space of the fender too quickly?

My Mazda3 with it's bullshit electronic throttle bogs when you stomp it from idle. I have to pump the throttle to get it to move quickly off the line and beat the bog. It's one of the reasons I want to go back to old Subarus.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I really don't know what to make of my ECU readings at this point. I'm suspicious my O2 sensor's on its last legs, which might be making this difficult.
-Nick
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

ok so im trying to catch up here. was your readings Soul Shinobi that having the stock intake was better than than doing anything to it. i have done 3 different levels of intake design on my 89 Leg. first got rid of the box and dropped a cone filter in.
Then i put the cone filter in the fender with various hoses an tubes. so good increase, was able to pull 100 in 4th. wasnt able to do it previous desing. and tonight i put in all aluminum tubing. havent finished yet have to put the little hoses into the piping somehow i need these correct? im just hoping i didnt do this for nothing. if i did i may just run down to the pull a part and grab a stock air box and every thing. here are my pics for reference

http://picasaweb.google.com/silinc3r/IntakeDesign#

Tony
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

You certainly will get power gains, as you have noticed. However there is a trade off. Those aftermarket oiled filter can get your MAF dirty and they don't filter as well. Also, without the snorkus the car may bog severely if you give it a lot of gas below 1,500 RPM.

Those little hoses are very important. They're for your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system, which brings fresh air into the inside of the engine to remove acidic gasses and moisture.

Referring back to tests of williaty from NASIOC again (link), leaving the intake entirely stock except replacing the corrugated piece between the MAF and throttle body with a straight pipe has proven to give roughly 80% to 90% of the gains with none of the drawbacks.

-Nick
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Where did you get the parts?
-Nick
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

baught the piping off ebay, just 3'' intercooler tubing. was about 100 dollars with shipping included. came with 2 straights, 2 close to 90s, 2 about 45s , and 2 more pipes i belive. plus the blue things(couplers) and all the ring clamps(not sure what to call them). only used like 2 pipes though. it was worth it. once i got thing going, i would run into problems like fittment and what not. then came the hoses. was stuck there, tried to cut the plastic ones off and use though but that i knew wouldnt hold. so today i spent about 2 hours at Home depot trieng to find some kind of epoxy to seal the hoses which i ended up not even using cause the guy that i finally got a hold of after searching for some one that could tig weld( took me like 2 hours to find someone) told me he could just weld in bongs, bungs. dont know what the correct word is. this made it easier to install hose fittings. just screw them in and i was good to go.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

You N/A guys have it too damn easy with intake plumbing....
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Yeah. :P The newer turbo Subarus aren't bad really.
-Nick
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

James614 wrote:You N/A guys have it too damn easy with intake plumbing....
you TURBO guys have it so easy with your horsepower. :-D
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Here-here. Well put. :D
-Nick
supra90turbo
First Gear

Post by supra90turbo »

The bogging is a pain in the ass, but on the same day, with the same conditions, and the same car, the stock airbox w/snorkel vs. cone filter was a .2 second difference at the dragstrip.

The car was a 95 Legacy Brighton Wagon.

Be that as it may, 17.1 is still slow, but it's a little faster than 17.3, and still really funny.
94 Ti Pearl White - 191k - Tein - Rota - Dunlop - ITG
94 Mi Blue Metallic - 210k - Whiteline - Pirelli - RallyArmor - Hella - AEM
SPUMONI_RT
First Gear

Post by SPUMONI_RT »

What if you have the filter down in the fender?
If you have a much longer intake tube you stack the airflow. I have seen some post with 3" exhaust tubing ran down into the fender.
When I was younger I hacked up my intake and shortened it with a homemade ram air. So I was forced to customize again to get a better intake. Also i'm planning some ram air through the turnsignal light. 91 N/A bumper.
But that includes some electrical mods too. So basically does this "stacking" effect work?
-Spumoni-
amdrunner
In Neutral

Post by amdrunner »

In the NASIOC post, he said that he wasn't sure whether it applies to earlier gen Legacy's.

...so has anyone found this issue with 91 Legacy's? I was just considering doing a de-snorkus on mine and now I'm not sure whether it would that great of an idea.
91 Legacy L ~~only interior mods so far
96 Legacy Outback
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

(EDIT) Nevermind. Did some review of the stock intake and like its been said, pretty well made. Even some of the stock tube is usable I think. Maybe cut it at the bend before the throttle body? and another cut in the bend just after the maf, and install a straight piece of Alu/PVC to join the two sections. Eh, no biggie.
Last edited by Suigintou on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Do they offer cheap CAI's for the N/A Subie? I'd like to rid myself of the airbox to TB tube, but don't want spend a fortune.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re:

Post by SILINC3R »

SPUMONI_RT wrote:What if you have the filter down in the fender?
If you have a much longer intake tube you stack the airflow. I have seen some post with 3" exhaust tubing ran down into the fender.
When I was younger I hacked up my intake and shortened it with a homemade ram air. So I was forced to customize again to get a better intake. Also i'm planning some ram air through the turnsignal light. 91 N/A bumper.
But that includes some electrical mods too. So basically does this "stacking" effect work?
Buffman wrote:Do they offer cheap CAI's for the N/A Subie? I'd like to rid myself of the airbox to TB tube, but don't want spend a fortune.

bringing this back from the dead to answear some questions. did yall bother to look at my picture of my CAI which goes into the fender. the piping cost 100 bucks from ebay. still cheaper than buy an after market HKS intake for 200 bucks and is like only a foot long.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: De-snorkal a NA car?

Post by evolutionmovement »

Or yous makes your own:

IIRC, the NACA duct was $25 and the hose that leads to the air box was under $10.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
samurai
First Gear

Re: De-snorkal a NA car?

Post by samurai »

Hi i'm new here and i just bought a 92 auto sedan...i have a Cone intake from my last car (auto zone specter i think) and was debating about putting it on before the MAf and taking the box off...i was reading through the posts and i'm kinda confused....so...is it pretty much a bad idea to do this then? From what i read it seems like if i put it on...it bogs and it's bad but then i read posts where it's been showing gains and no problems....also what about doing something like a Safari rally car with the Air intake up on the side of the A pillar?